Coco, LED light and CalMag; when/how to feed it?

FlyingArse

22 hours ago, SmokeTester said:

I think you need calmag or epsom salt with coco. With other methods, never needed it, wouldn't bother.

You need calmag because your water is soft, not because you are using coco. 

• 11 months later...
Just now, Jaydeee86 said:

Do you think even in hard water we should still add calmag if we're having mysterious problems? 

No. 

• Like 4

I must be in a small minority where I live in a very hard water area but still have shit water:crybaby:

Our water board don't even list Magnesium on their test data sheet. Once my funds recover from Xmas I might get it tested at Growers Ark.

• Like 3

Just now, Military Grade said:

But do they make custom feeds based on your water results?

I was lucky, london water is a known quantity (and quality) and perfect for off their off the shelf hard water edition. If you live in an unkown area (other than just 'hard') get it tested. Not sure about this process but it's worth it, my babies look great, waay better than Vitalink, don't forget the extra traces if you chose Growers Ark. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Jaydeee86 said:

Do you think even in hard water we should still add calmag

Ive had to switch to Reverse Osmosis water as my hard tap water (0.7ec) was still causing deficiencies even with calmag added. Every grow ive done had deficiencies. It all depends on your area's water. After a year growing im only now seeing healthy dark greens. Because of the RO.

mystic 

Edited by mysticriver
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I think a lot of people see some yellowing, add calmag, then the yellowing goes away so they conclude "ah, must have needed calmag then".  All the while missing the fact that most calmag formulas also contain nitrogen...

My water is hard at .6EC, but my water is high in calcium and low in magnesium.  I typically supplement with epsoms a few times per grow and that's fine.

• Like 1

what constitutes high and low levels of magnesium and calcium?

what about hardness levels?

I'm trying to figure out how to get an up to date report, but the last stats from 2018 should be indicative i guess..

Calcium (mg/L) - - 7.6

Hardness (mg/L CaCO3 ) - -2 7

Magnesium (mg/L) - - 1.9

chair

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/01/2022 at 11:34 PM, Chairman O The Bored said:

EC or PPM 

Below 0.4EC is considered soft.....above that hard.

• Like 1

On 12/01/2022 at 11:34 PM, Chairman O The Bored said:

what about hardness levels?

I'm trying to figure out how to get an up to date report, but the last stats from 2018 should be indicative i guess..

Calcium (mg/L) - - 7.6

Hardness (mg/L CaCO3 ) - -2 7

Magnesium (mg/L) - - 1.9

chair

Your water wants the base ec bumping up to 0.2-0.4ec. Those numbers you put up are extremely low. Good for for window cleaning or washing the car. :)

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 1

On 02/01/2022 at 0:13 AM, Military Grade said:

in a small minority where I live in a very hard water area but still have shit water:crybaby:

Welcome to the club -

My tap is at 0.7ec. Last week I found out that it was even killing my seeds (I now use RO for germinating with success), and i always had problems with plant deficiencies when I used tap water for growing. 

In my circumstances there was no other option but RO - I tried everything before.

mystic

• Like 1

Sorry, didn't see the reply and sorry if its a dumb q and im highjacking the thread... but would i just add calmag to get my watering can to 0.4 EC and then just add my other nutes?

i grow in mud, and have just moved to here from a hardwater area and never had to consider such things.