uv clarifier in recirc hydro- anyone?

badbillybob

hi, Dont suppose anyone on here is running a UV clarifier/ steriliser in a recirculating system?

if so, how are you finding it? they seem fairly cheap  way of keeping the system sterile.

any thoughts

• Like 4

@badbillybob i use a pond one here but only to clean the water before adding the nutrients. It will keep your water sterile in your system ok but you will have to supplement with iron as the uv strips it from your nutrients. To over come that you can use ionic uv balance solution to add it back in and works fine. Just realise it will kill anything in the water as it passes over the uv light only, so roots need to be monitored as usual.

Toke...

• Like 4

Theres 2 types @badbillybob the ones for ponds have a bigger gap between the quartz sleeve and the outer tube where the water runs that only destroys green algea and fishtank ones with a smaller gap so the water runs closer to the uv bulb that fully kills off any free swimming parasites or bacteria.

• Like 2

Uv is dangerous. I would stay clear of ozone and UV.

Choose 50% H2o2 (hydrogen peroxide) 1ml/L

or adjust for 30% if you can't find 50%

Can be used for prevention as well as shock treatment at 5ml/L

It strong enough to obliterate pathogens but not strong enough to mess with plant / human health when dosed correctly.

Lasts quite a while. 

You'll find it useful around the house too not just for the plants.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ScapeGoat said:

Uv is dangerous. I would stay clear of ozone and UV.

The uv tubes in a uv sterilizer are completely enclosed and no danger to use.

If you have a look at one and how they work you will understand !

Edited by LA LUNA
  • Like 4

i didnt realise they stripped iron out, and that could have taken a lot of figuring out so cheers for that @tokenroll

i also didnt realise there were 2 types, how can you tell if its a proper bacteria killer instead of a algae killer @LA LUNA, i was looking at the 7 watt jebao UV clarifier/ steriliser ones on the bay of eee. 

Any use ?

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, badbillybob said:

i didnt realise they stripped iron out, and that could have taken a lot of figuring out so cheers for that @tokenroll

i also didnt realise there were 2 types, how can you tell if its a proper bacteria killer instead of a algae killer @LA LUNA, i was looking at the 7 watt jebao UV clarifier/ steriliser ones on the bay of eee. 

Any use ?

https://www.allpondsolutions.co.uk/fishkeeping-advice/difference-between-uv-steriliser-and-uv-clarifier.html

• Like 3

Looks like flow rate plays a big part and how long it takes to pass the uv source, 1 thing i do remember from my fish tank days is keep the sleeve inside clean, i used to strip it down and clean it every few months.

Edited by LA LUNA
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

i was watching a vid on yootoob the other day and the bloke had a UV clarifier hooked into his system,  and claimed he ha never had root issues, thanks to using it. 

seems plausible. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I use a mini Ozone generator plumbed into an air pump followed by an airstone in my wilma now, so everytime it feeds, i have the wilma pump on, circ pump, and my ozozne generator jobbie fizzing the water too, so it gets pumped around the rez. Its not a super strong ozone generator but its enough for 3 x 15 minute cycles a day and does the job. I just make sure to top up on my calmag which has iron in it and run it a few times a week without the ozone genertaor on. But, i also use 8% Endosan ( Silver Stabilised Hydrogen peroxide ) TWICE as strong as Silver Bullet Roots, and half the price ! Good shit !

Im going to look into that UV balance mentioned by @tokenroll also, that seems like a good additive if using ozone for sterilisation.

How ya doin BBB ? :hippy:

• Like 3

im doing ok thanks, good to see you back and posting.

got any diaries going? i wouldnt mind a look if you do?

i have had loads of hydro issues lately, its been one fuck up after another to be honest. ive built another room and just got a new chiller and pump delivered so hopefully the next one will be better (than the last 4, that ive ended up pulling - at anything between 3 weeks and 8 weeks).

i did some breeding and am doing the cuts from that net time, so it will be interesting to see how they do.

• Like 2

ive just been looking too, but its not any cheaper than silver bullets, but im also struggling to find an outlet which sells it for reasonable money. im also just finding the 3% stuff.....

Edited by badbillybob
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, badbillybob said:

struggling to find an outlet which sells it for reasonable money.

I've had a look on their website but there's no prices and the couple of sites I've looked at are around the same price as silver bullet.