Mathiaus

Humbolt don’t seem to stop lines they made that hermie. Very disappointing company. I wouldn’t touch them with a barge pole no more 

22 minutes ago, fatboy77 said:

No seeds involved? 

I thought all apples were from clones? Seeds are sown and new varieties are hunted but the process is incredibly slow for obvious reasons. But it's my understanding that no one has been able to stabilise any variety of Apple in seed form.

I may be wrong though. 

Edited by NezA
Typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SmokeTester said:

All Bramley apple trees are clones of only one tree. I think @NezAmakes a good point though, we need diversity in the gene pool.

But Bramley doesn't constitue all commercial apples, Whereas the Cavendish banana does constitute all commercial bananas.

• Like 1

ok.there are people who dislike fem seeds.but honestly.i grew many many of them. i have not seen any in my garden yet and my environment is far from perfect.

@onetime you were  missing out on great genetics. but even if you wanted to change your mind it would be late now.i will show you my 707 when she is ready:smokin:

It's not a case of disliking fem seeds, until these last couple of grows I'd only ever grown fems. But at the moment I think a lot of the hype stuff that's coming out of the US isn't worth the risk. A lot of it hasn't been worked properly and reports of intersex plants from many of these strains are commonplace.

It's perfectly possible to breed feminised seeds that don't exhibit intersex traits but the work has to be put in to achieve this. Nowadays that simply doesn't happen a new strain hits the market a week later some seed company has a cross available... They simply haven't had time to test that strain. They don't care because people keep buying them for silly prices. They cash out and the next "jelly baby liquorice allsort X super fizzy pop 23" is out the following week and everyone will buy that instead.

It's all about getting the strain out as quickly as possible rather than putting out quality work. Being the first to market means maximum profit and that's all that matters.

Vote with your wallet.

• Like 5