run off EC more than half the inflow

Benjayy420

Hey everyone back with a vpn this time feel a lot better now lol! So anyways the run off EC from my plants is way lower than my inflow , im putting in .9ec and getting out between .2 and .4 ec between the 3 of them this is me having upped the inflow from .6 to .9 because of low run off figuring they may be hungry although I know its not an exact science but I was getting like .15 run off from. 6 going in so I upped the inflow. And perhaps most importantly I have white tips starting perhaps the beginning of nute burn so feeling I may have to drop the ec again if it worsens , plants are working on small 5th and 6th nodes not grown out yet and is around a foot wide and 7 inches tall seems too strong .9 imo but wonder what other folks opinions are , im using canna coco range. Thanks guys

15 minutes ago, JSh1973 said:

Is that EC range not quite low at that size? 

Mine are on 1200-1400 and they're only 3 weeks old and looking very strong. 

Thanks man iv been feeding around half what canna recommends just cause most folk always say the charts ec values are on the strong end , im going to keep ec at .9 so long as the burn doesn't worsen and if it doesn't il try upping it again, i noticed they were taking a lil longer to dry out after upping the ec so it could be too strong but I'd like to find out either way thanks man

• Like 1

If it comes out lower it means you feeding very lightly , close to is better , when it’s above the input you feeding to much .You sure it’s burn and not the start of a deficiency ? Pics will help

Edited by Arthur Mix
  • Like 2

Guest Teesside
47 minutes ago, Firstimegrower_420 said:

EC readings..... im putting 1.5 in flower and not fed 4 days and fed last night and runniff 3.5! I give up

U in coco and havent fed for 4days ?

Edited by Teesside

@Teessideyeah thats correct and use coco. I was told i shouldn't be watering as often and was probably the cause of my plants looking shit so I stopped and fed last night for the first time since Wednesday night and my run off was 3.5 but I use a tray so there might have been a build of crop on that. Ill see how they look at 10pm but they were grand this morning and appreciated the feed lol

Edited by Firstimegrower_420

Guest Teesside
2 minutes ago, Firstimegrower_420 said:

@Teessideyeah thats correct and use coco. I was told i shouldn't be watering as often and was probably the cause of my plants looking shit so I stopped and fed last night for the first time since Wednesday night and my run off was 3.5 but I use a tray so there might have been a build of crop on that. Ill see how they look at 10pm but they were grand this morning and appreciated the feed lol

Im first time grower to mate but u need to be watering everyday at least and with good amount of run of this will definitely be the cause of every problem you have mate i would go in there now and flush the shit out of them with fresh feed try get the pot fresh again 

7 minutes ago, Teesside said:

Im first time grower to mate but u need to be watering everyday at least and with good amount of run of this will definitely be the cause of every problem you have mate i would go in there now and flush the shit out of them with fresh feed try get the pot fresh again 

I appreciate what ya say but ive been in and out with this question from the offset 7wk ago and others will disagree and say they use the lift pot test method and my pots i couldn't even lift wirh 2 hands it was that heavy and other growers feed every 3 days and some 2 days. I did read what your advising and thought it was the best way option for feeding everyday but obviously not with drooping plants and wet limbless with no life but now they're grand. 

I did read the high ec could have been caused by dry salt on my tray as it was the first syringe out last night but then when i checked the drainage water this morning is was 2.0 

Someone even suggested bottom feeding when using coco and that way they'll drink what they want but the problem there is you won't be able to check run off

Edited by Firstimegrower_420

Guest Teesside
1 minute ago, Firstimegrower_420 said:

I appreciate what ya say but ive been in and out with this question from the offset 7wk ago and others will disagree and say they use the lift pot test method and my pots i couldn't even lift wirh 2 hands it was that heavy and other growers feed every 3 days and some 2 days. I did read what your advising and thought it was the best way option for feeding everyday but obviously not with drooping plants and wet limbless with no life but now they're grand. 

I did read the high ec could have been caused by dry salt on my tray as it was the first syringe out last night but then when i checked the drainage water this morning is was 2.0 

OK mate I never heard anyone feeding coco every 3 or 2 days wish you all the luck with it mate 

10 hours ago, Firstimegrower_420 said:

I appreciate what ya say but ive been in and out with this question from the offset 7wk ago and others will disagree and say they use the lift pot test method and my pots i couldn't even lift wirh 2 hands it was that heavy and other growers feed every 3 days and some 2 days.

Ummmm. How big are your pots if you can't lift them with two hands?

Sounds like your pots are way too big and the roots have not filled the pot. This is possibly the cause of your problems.....

I'm in Coco, using canna and I feed 3 times a day with plenty of run off. Generally, as long as the roots have filled out sufficiently, it is difficult to over water Coco.

Your EC value coming out should be similar to input. If your EC out is 3 then you have an issue. As per @Teesside, I would flush and address pot size.... But I would never let my coco dry out as you have.....

Edited by M Pamplemousse
Spelling
  • Like 1

@M Pamplemoussethanks bud. There's a lot of people on here who say rhe opposite about feeding and letting things go dry, 

I guess that's what happens on a social.media site and everyone has theirnown opinion. 

Its hard to know what to do for the best as you say this, he says that, they said etc. 

My pots are 15litre the root seemed fine on transfer as pic shows. Since then its exploded, EC was always aroumd 1.0/1.2  then I waited those 4 days and then it was over 3 but I dint know if thats salt build up on the silver tray its sitting or from plant itself. Heres the pic of the roots and a photo of the plant in reference to high EC 

large.20201027_084837_copy_734x1632.jpglarge.20201027_085019_copy_540x522.jpg

• Like 1

Maybe pick a diary that does well with coco and a similar set up, copy that . Lots of conflicting info , I water very day in coco and so do most I know . Letting coco dry out can lead to other issues .

• Like 4

@Firstimegrower_420 i water every 3-4 days when the seed/cutting has just been planted or repotted to promote root growth but soon as the roots start filling the pot I water everyday, I currently have two plants in 15 litre pots that are getting watered twice a day during lights on. 
From the pic you had a nice healthy full root mass and that would off quickly filled the next pot up, for me I probably would of watered the plant twice in the first first week after pot on and then everyday after that. 

• Like 1

@Arthur Mixthats good advice and I didnt thunk of following a coco diary to get pointers. 

@kronic420 im going back to feeding every 24hr starting tonight. Im obviously getting conflicting advice from all quarters but i decided to emply my tent this morning and raise the pots so i can get access to the drain tray rather than leaving them sitting in them as that does make it difficult to get any water out which im hoping was the cause for a reading to be so high. 

I cleaned all 3 trays and dried and can easily get in and out now but what I did notice was how light my big lady was considering the 4litrres she had 38hr ago! So im back on a more often feed than a less often 

What if I do an EC tonight and its still as high and it wasnt caused by a salt build up on my tray, how do I flush?... do I just put ph tap water in and get the run off to 0.2 or do I still feed but as a lesser EC strength?