Canna Auto feed Guide

OctoMan

Hey there.

I'm working on a feed schedule for some autos using Canna Vega and Flores.  The medium I'm using at the moment is Tropic Mix and I'd like to keep it as simple as possible.

Canna's feeding charts seem waaaaay too strong for autos, let alone regulars and I'm not interested in all their extras.  Calmag is needed here because my tap water is like EC 0.3 or close to it.

What do you guys think of the schedule I've put together?  Is it likely to vastly underfeed/overfeed or is it in the ball park?  I'll be measuring my feed by EC (as per the table) and the Vega and Flores values are only a general guide.

Obviously I'll probably need to make some adjustments along the way but if anyone has any suggestions for improvement then I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Big thanks

Octo

medium.5f85fe6f7990b_CannaAutoGuide.jpg.1acf40552f24c791fd0db0ee0f062ff0.jpg

Edited by OctoMan

IMO it does seem rather strong, I started out at 1/4th strength of the bottles reccomendations for my Canna Coco nutes and I agree that it is far too strong for autos I maxed 1.5ml/1L for the autos and that was at the height of their lifecycle during flower when they demanded it.

You also probs wont need 0.9ml CalMag thats the only thing I do EC, check water base EC wich for me is 350 then add a few drops and stir till I hit 450/500.

I also didnt measure food on EC I just went with ml per L but if I am honest I would just start right down low with 0.5ml/1L and let the plant demand more food.

Happy growing !

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DeepSmoke420 said:

You also probs wont need 0.9ml CalMag thats the only thing I do EC, check water base EC wich for me is 350 then add a few drops and stir till I hit 450/500.

Thanks for the reply bud. So with the Calmag, do you mean to add it to the water until you have an EC of 0.5 (assuming the water is that soft ) then make up to the target EC with base nutes?

1 hour ago, DeepSmoke420 said:

IMO it does seem rather strong

Are you referring to the EC or the nutrient measurements on the chart?  Those measurements are really guess work but thanks for the info.  I'll have a look into cutting the feed down a little if that's what you meant.

Cheers :yep:

2 hours ago, OctoMan said:

Thanks for the reply bud. So with the Calmag, do you mean to add it to the water until you have an EC of 0.5 (assuming the water is that soft ) then make up to the target EC with base nutes?

I usually add it first yeah mate my water is normally 350 when measuring the EC, so I will measure my bucket of waters EC and then add cal mag in drops until I hit 450/500.

Once I have done the cal mag part I dont measure EC anymore beyond that point I change over to using ml per 1 L.

2 hours ago, OctoMan said:

Are you referring to the EC or the nutrient measurements on the chart?  Those measurements are really guess work but thanks for the info.  I'll have a look into cutting the feed down a little if that's what you meant.

I was reffering to the nutrient ammounts :) they are not mega high but I wouldnt personally go from 3 weeks plain water right into a 1.7ml Feed.

I do use the full Canna range so I start out the first week on water then the second week I start to introduce Rhizotonic at 0.5ml per 1L and by the second week I will be including 0.5ml per 1L A+B.

I willl taper it up by 0.5ml each time as the plant requires, I ended up at 2ml max but saw slight tip burn so reduced to 1.5ml where the plant was happy for the rest of its life.

After a point I just stopped following the feed chart on the canna site and started feeding the plant what it demanded, ocasianlly I will refer to the grow guide to decide on when to start feeding or how much is a rough base compared to the bottles instructions :)

Hopefully that helps a tad more ! :)

• Like 1

I used Terra Flores for my first grow and currently using on my 2nd.  I started low, introduced Flores week 6 at 0.5ml/l or 1ml/l depending on how hungry they've been for grow nutes, look out for tip burn and ramp up from there.  Got a sativa on at that moment which is clearly hungrier than the indicas I grew before.  Also seen a lot of folks tapering off the grow and ramping up the bloom over the course of a week or 2 which is what I do, rather than a hard stop of one and straight onto the other.

On the Plant Magic feed schedule (I know not Canna) it says to reduce to ¼ recommended dose if using LEDs and autos. 

• Like 2

@DeepSmoke420 @BudJ Thanks guys.  Based on what you've been feeding, it's quite clear that I've been massively overfeeding. Must be really strong stuff if such minute amounts of feed are sufficient.

I'm going to follow your advice and keep the overall amounts of feed low.  I'll be going by EC until I've got an idea of what that corresponds to in ml then move forward from there.  Using LED too so I'll keep it at around 1/4 strength and work gradually up.

Invaluable info, cheers :yep: 

• Like 3

Gonna throw a spanner in the works here. Im very new to game third/ fourth grow (2 spaces).

large.5f857fc5671ad_SSRandomAuto-Copy(2).jpglarge.5f857fbd6aece_SSRandomAuto2-Copy(2).jpglarge.5f7f0a40c6f00_IMG_20201007_202212-Copy.jpg

I found with my autos below using scope led and blumats (diary link in sig) I was actually under / late feeding them the Vega then maybe about right with the Flores I was at around the 4/5ml PL mark. I think it has to do with many different variables, e.g how strong your compost is, how quick it drops off, type of strain, light your using, how much it's turned up and how close it is to the plants. 

Couple great videos from prof Bruce here. Love this guy ey @Exhale

I've ran the same setup in my 4th grow and the plants look a lot better. Was lot quicker feeding the Vega slowly from 1-4ml then switched to 4ml of Flores about a week into flower.  I think the clover has a quick nute drop off @blackpoolbouncer said.

large.5f7d735bdea13_IMG_20201006_201644-Copy.jpglarge.5f7d7351dcf8d_IMG_20201006_201640-Copy.jpglarge.5f7d7348c0e38_IMG_20201006_201631-Copy.jpglarge.5f7d734086c70_IMG_20201006_201627-Copy.jpg

Maybe these are touch over feed in my eyes, little tip burn and leaf edge curling. But if rathe have that then light pale green leafs. 

It's all balance and learning to read plants. I was the same and aired on side of underfeeding, but last grow a flipped and otped on the side of overfeeding and I think it's working out better. Just my 2p worth hope it helps. 

• Like 7
22 minutes ago, growinggold said:

4ml of Flores about a week into flower.

Ah Shit.  Now I've got some people advising me to go really really easy and you're saying you got good results from pretty much Canna's schedule. :rofl:

It's a tough one.  Like you I'm going to be using my Blumat and a Scope LED. What to do - What to do. :unsure:

Nice looking plants BTW.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, OctoMan said:

Ah Shit.  Now I've got some people advising me to go really really easy and you're saying you got good results from pretty much Canna's schedule. :rofl:

It's a tough one.  Like you I'm going to be using my Blumat and a Scope LED. What to do - What to do. :unsure:

Nice looking plants BTW.

He's up to 4ml pl where imo is a little too much which @growinggold mentions himself. Canna says 5ml pl. If they were fed 3ml pl they would be have been a bit happier imo...........so much closer in reality to half what canna recommends. 

5ml pl will burn the shit out of your plants unless they are EXTREMELY heavy feeders. 

I've never had a plant that has called for 5ml pl

@growinggold clover does drop off very quickly. Organic compost trail off very gradually by comparison as you've constantly got microbes at al breaking down organic matter to provide more food. 

Edited by blackpoolbouncer
  • Like 2
44 minutes ago, blackpoolbouncer said:

If they were fed 3ml pl they would be have been a bit happier imo...........so much closer in reality to half what canna recommends.

Thanks for pitching in BB.  So with this in mind, do you think the amounts in ml I've displayed in the chart at the top of the thread is not too far from ideal?  Bear in mind that they're autos under LED.

TIA :yep:

• Like 1

@OctoMan looks ok. Going in at 1.7ml at day 28 might be drastic depending on what nutes are left.

I'd start at 0.5ml and work up in .5ml increment with each water heading up to 3 or 3.5ml pl by week 5 by which point you switch to Flores at the same strength 

It's worth mentioning that generally the first thing to show is lack of nitrogen. Nitrogen is mobile so if you keep you eye on the very first set of leaves very closely, the second those begin to loose perfect colour you know your depleted. 

If you do this you would be safe to go in at 1.7ml 

It's easy to be too eager. 

The plants will tell you what they want when they want it. Understanding them comes with experience and research I guess.

• Like 2