dudiii

1 hour ago, Nervous said:

you shouldn't ever be getting runoff from organic soil as it just washes out nutrients b) you cannot accurately measure the PH of organic soil (or runoff) and c) the microbes in soil will naturally manage the PH unless you have done something catastrophically wrong. 

@Whatwentwrong I've explained it perfectly (as above). 

But if you don't believe me and you're so confident that you're right, why don't you post a thread getting people to confirm what you're saying? 

Or I'm sure @blackpoolbouncer will straighten you out if he can be arsed telling someone not to PH organic soil for the trillionth time. 

You sir, are a prize mug. 

Edited by Nervous
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nervous said:

I've explained it perfectly. 

But if you don't believe me and you're so confident that you're right, why don't you post a thread getting people to confirm what you're saying? 

Or I'm sure @blackpoolbouncer will straighten you out if he can be arsed telling someone not to PH in soil for the trillionth time. 

I don’t care what 1 person says, 1 person isn’t the definitive authority on stuff.and no you haven’t explained it properly.

if you buy preprepared soil you don’t need to check the ph.

if you are making your own soil you will need to check the ph when it’s made, before use, to ensure it’s in the right range.

you are aware that if you don’t water properly your soil acidity will build and cause a ph imbalance therefore creating a nutrient deficiency.

no, checking runoff isn’t 100% accurate but it’s what you have so you use it.

4 minutes ago, Bubbles Depot said:

Healthy organic soil naturally buffers ph on its own. You don't need to ph soil:hippy:

this guy is making his own soil. Healthy prepared soil won’t need ph ing during use. But if your mixing your own you may want to check the ph in the first instance to check you have created soil in the right range.

Bit of both here. Nervous is correct and so is whatwentwrong for the most part.

4 minutes ago, Whatwentwrong said:

if you are making your own soil you will need to check the ph when it’s made, before use, to ensure it’s in the right range.

you are aware that if you don’t water properly your soil acidity will build and cause a ph imbalance therefore creating a nutrient deficiency.

This is also correct. However measuring run of Ph is useless. 

Only way to measure Rhizosphere PH is top take a sample from different areas of the pot and test it. 

So if you water 6 and it comes out 5 that means fuck all 

Edited by blackpoolbouncer
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, blackpoolbouncer said:

Bit of both here. Nervous is correct and so is whatwentwrong for the most part.

This is also correct. However measuring run of Ph is useless. 

Only way to measure Rhizosphere PH is top take a sample from different areas of the pot and test it. 

So if you water 6 and it comes out 5 that means fuck all 

I had the problem. Water was 6.5 run off ph was 5.2, leaves started going a light yellow. I knew it had all its Nutes and wouldn’t need anymore so I bought Dolomite lime and top dressed soil and literally The next day the issue was gone.

i know i fucked up the watering and made the soil acidic myself but checking and amending the ph fixed it. So it does work. 

also if you google it there are a lot of people who say that if your run off is more than 1 ph difference from what’s going in then you should amend it.

but anyway, thanks. Simply making sure your soil is the right ph before you use it will stop any issues during use. That was simply my point, big list of additives, it will affect the soil.

But, if you say you can’t rely on run off ph how would you check it, or do you just not use soil.

19 minutes ago, Whatwentwrong said:

I don’t care what 1 person says, 1 person isn’t the definitive authority on stuff.and no you haven’t explained it properly.

no, checking runoff isn’t 100% accurate but it’s what you have so you use it.

Is two people not enough? Are you just going to refute the advice of everyone who comes along because you believe you are the authority on this matter? 

I'll admit, if you water wrong (which has nothing to do with needing to check the PH, more a watering problem) then that will happen. Watering wrong is doing something catastrophically wrong.

18 minutes ago, Whatwentwrong said:

But if your mixing your own you may want to check the ph in the first instance to check you have created soil in the right range.

That's pretty much what I meant by "unless you've done something catastrophically wrong". But that's not what I'm getting at. You do not need to check soil PH routinely (again unless you have done something catastrophically wrong) or via runoff in organic soil. As has been confirmed. Several times now.  

Edited by Nervous
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Nervous said:

Is two people not enough? Are you just going to refute the advice of everyone who comes along because you believe you are the authority on this matter? 

I'll admit, if you water wrong (which has nothing to do with needing to check the PH, more a watering problem) then that will happen. 

That's pretty much what I meant by "unless you've done something catastrophically wrong". But that's not what I'm getting at. You do not need to check soil PH via runoff in organic soil. As has been confirmed. Several times now.  

did you read his response or even any of my posts.

all I was saying is that he should check his ph after mixing it before use to make sure it was fit for purpose. Your saying don’t ph during use, which is irrelevant as the op isn’t using his soil yet, he’s just mixing it and without a soil probe (which are expensive) testing a bit of soil in a pot via its run off is pretty much the only way to do it.

As soon as he’s done it and made his soil jobs done, and then you wouldn’t bother testing it. But when making it he must test it.

Edited by Whatwentwrong

15 minutes ago, Whatwentwrong said:

did you read his response or even any of my posts.

all I was saying is that he should check his ph after mixing it before use to make sure it was fit for purpose. Your saying don’t ph during use, which is irrelevant as the op isn’t using his soil yet, he’s just mixing it.

I don't need to. You've already made it pretty clear you don't know what you're on about in regards to PH by toting testing runoff PH in organic soil. Which you're now trying to dodge ownership of. 

If the OP used all those ingredients as per the reccommendations, there wouldn't be any need to check PH. There's nothing in there like lime that would alter the PH so drastically that it needs attention. If you immediately try to measure PH in mixed soil, you're going to find it swings for a day or two anyway (as well as soil temps which really isn't good for planting stuff in) and whatever readings you get will be completely innaccurate, so it wouldn't make sense to. By the time you could get an accurate reading, the microbes will have done their job providing you haven't done anything thick like using loads of substances that are specifically to alter PH or overwatering like you've done for example.   

Keep on rolling down the road of testing your organic soil PH mate or runoff, I've really got no interest in helping you. 

Edited by Nervous
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Nervous said:

I don't need to. You've already made it pretty clear you don't know what you're on about in regards to PH by toting testing runoff PH in organic soil. Which you're now trying to dodge ownership of. 

If the OP used all those ingredients as per the reccommendations, there wouldn't be any need to check PH. There's nothing in there like lime that would alter the PH so drastically that it needs attention. If you immediately try to measure PH in soil, you're going to find it swings for a day or two anyway (as well as soil temps which really isn't good for planting stuff in) and whatever readings you get will be completely innaccurate, so it wouldn't make sense to. By the time you could get an accurate reading, the microbes will have done their job providing you haven't done anything thick like using loads of PH altering substances or overwatering for example.   

Keep on rolling down the road of testing your organic soil PH mate, I've really got no interest in helping you. 

so you didn’t bother reading blackpoolbouncers reply “Nervous is correct and so is whatwentwrong” 

I don’t check soil ph as I buy pre checked soil. I then only check it if the plant is showing a deficiency but has all its Nutes.

anyway Wikipedia on bat guano 

Fresh guano has a pH of 5.1–7.3, making it neutral or somewhat acidic. However, as it ages, the guanobecomes strongly acidic, reaching pH levels of 2.7–4.1.

strongly acidic being the part you want to pay attention to.

thank you for answer guys, please love each other! 

i agree, lime looks so drastically. about my research, good organic mix does not need so much correction in ph. but for security i will buy a bestseller ebay cheap soil ph tester its 5€ for checking.

question: i found for example alfalfa meal, and blood meal in nearby fishing market. i can easily get them.
can i use these stuff for growing or recommended to avoid?

8 minutes ago, dudiii said:

thank you for answer guys, please love each other! 

i agree, lime looks so drastically. about my research, good organic mix does not need so much correction in ph. but for security i will buy a bestseller ebay cheap soil ph tester its 5€ for checking.

question: i found for example alfalfa meal, and blood meal in nearby fishing market. i can easily get them.
can i use these stuff for growing or recommended to avoid?

all the ready prepared batmix soils have lime in them because guano can be quite acidic. Check them out, their contents aren’t hard to find.

defo alfalfa is fine not sure on the blood meal but I’d expect it to be ok.

32 minutes ago, Whatwentwrong said:

so you didn’t bother reading blackpoolbouncers reply “Nervous is correct and so is whatwentwrong”

You missed "for the most part" and he was being pretty generous ;) if you didn't say at least one thing that was true I'd be shocked! But It's debatable at that. Most people won't bother checking PH at any point because as per Bubblesdepo's comment, healthy soil will look after itself. Plus you missed and are purposefully ignoring where he's saying checking runoff is useless.  

You seem to be having trouble grasping that microbes will balance PH for you unless you fuck it up (which is a you problem, not PH). People don't use fresh guano mate (try not using wikipedia as your source of info) the plagron stuff is aged and people use it as a top dress all the time and don't have to then check the PH. Just don't fuck things up like overwatering, stupid soil mixes or measuring your ingredients like salt bae and your comments are irrelevant, which is what I've been saying. 

I honestly don't think I can repeat myself anymore than I already have. If you get it, you get it. If not, sucks for you. 

Edited by Nervous

1 hour ago, Nervous said:

You missed "for the most part" and he was being pretty generous ;) if you didn't say at least one thing that was true I'd be shocked! But It's debatable at that. Most people won't bother checking PH at any point because as per Bubblesdepo's comment, healthy soil will look after itself. Plus you missed and are purposefully ignoring where he's saying checking runoff is useless.  

You seem to be having trouble grasping that microbes will balance PH for you unless you fuck it up (which is a you problem, not PH). People don't use fresh guano mate (try not using wikipedia as your source of info) the plagron stuff is aged and people use it as a top dress all the time and don't have to then check the PH. Just don't fuck things up like overwatering, stupid soil mixes or measuring your ingredients like salt bae and your comments are irrelevant, which is what I've been saying. 

I honestly don't think I can repeat myself anymore than I already have. If you get it, you get it. If not, sucks for you. 

you really are thick you know that.

he’s not top dressing

here, for someone as intellectually challenged as you I’ll include pictures this time.

as you can see both these “bat mixes” have lime in them, they have lime in them because as previously shown aged bat guano has a ph of 2.7 low and 4.1 high. Both too acidic to grow in. The lime neutralises the acidic nature of the bat guano. Problem is, without knowing how acidic your soil is you won’t know how much lime to add.

So your choices are, do what this idiot says, just mix it together it’ll be fine. Or you can do what the professional bat soil manufacturers do and add lime to stabilise the PH

I am growing in bat shit soil and the ph can drop because of the bat shit (also over watering). The lime neutralises it, it costs about £2.50 and funnily enough all hydroponics shops sell it, because it’s needed.

I’ll post a nutrient absorption chart below it as well so you can see what ph the Nutes are absorbed with soil.

i hope I’ve provided enough evidence to show you that making sure your soil is correct ph before use is a valuable thing to do. His is no evidence to prove his side just “your a dick, I know best, it’ll be fine”.

i also bought the £5 bit of bollocks off eBay and it works fine.

large.DB77496A-B809-4362-8878-0D3167099BE0.pnglarge.9EC2E890-94C0-4BB2-A820-390E2FB5E75D.png

Edited by Whatwentwrong