Blueberry Cookies LED Grow

trichomehi

LED Tent Update

Plants have been flowering just over a week, there looking healthy very lush green growth seems to be consistent with the other led grows i've done so far. 100ltr res refilled using shogun nuts, 100ml veg, 200ml flower, cf 1.4, ph 6.0. Internodal growth is very short plants are very compact, removed all the fan leaves which i've noticed grow much larger and lusher than under hps. The room temp is holding steady at 28c, due to heater this is maintained during the lights off, humidity is creeping up to 45%, to achieve this the extraction is running at about 25%, tent feels ok when i open it up. Leaf temp is at 26c (this is a new metric for me, no idea if it's correct, but visually plants look ok), the light intensity is at 750-800 umols/m2 under both lamps, again this is trail and error.

large.5f620fec031cc_ledleafgrowth.jpg

these led's do promote very large leaf growth, all of the largest fan leaves have been removed..

large.5f620fe703c87_ledblueberrycookies2.jpg

again the led's promote very short internodal growth resulting in very short dense plants, it'll be interesting to see how they develop under the hps..

large.5f5d0b95574a0_largetent1.jpgbefore removing fan leaves..

large.5f620fe5cee2b_ledblueberrycookies1.jpgafter fan leaf removal..

Traditional lighting tents

Start of flowering, switch from using 400 mh to 600 hps..   

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, trichomehi said:

growing to a perfect vpd is very difficult if you cant exactly control the enviro and all the assoc kit (which i dont or will never have), my "style" of grow is to try to balance the temps against the humidity by simply controlling the extraction of stale air out of tent. The plants go into the main tents after being in a nursery room (250 watt cfl, natural air movement), there usually in there for a couple of weeks from seed ( conditions roughly 26c 70% humidity). The biggest problem i have whether its in led tent or trad lighting tent is the transference shock, going from a high humidity to a much lower humidity, plants always go into a droopy looking stage, they pick up after about 10ish days. As for the quotes about vpd levels thats straight from an internet source, the source was for led's and the one i quote is for vegetation.I am measuring leaf temp directly under lamps plus the room air temp in 3 different positions.This comparison is done just out of interest to see if i'm doing something radically wrong, there are led growers on this forum who claim to have good results from there lights by not having to increase temps, this supposed need for room temps to be 28c to raise leaf temp is completely foreign to me, it's all a learning journey.   

I don't know, but it might depend heavily on ambient temps/which part of the U.K. you are in.

Those further south/higher ambient temps may not need to increase the heat anywhere near as much as those further north, who may need to add more heat to account for lower incoming air temp.

I'm currently on the journey of switching from HPS/CDM to LEDs myself, so I'm learning as I go myself.

A few months ago I thought 'negative pressure' was just making sure more air is being sucked from the grow space, than incoming from intake fans ;) 

I'll be following with great interest, keep up the good work :yep:

:yinyang:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shumroom said:

I don't know, but it might depend heavily on ambient temps/which part of the U.K. you are in.

Those further south/higher ambient temps may not need to increase the heat anywhere near as much as those further north, who may need to add more heat to account for lower incoming air temp.

I'm currently on the journey of switching from HPS/CDM to LEDs myself, so I'm learning as I go myself.

A few months ago I thought 'negative pressure' was just making sure more air is being sucked from the grow space, than incoming from intake fans ;) 

I'll be following with great interest, keep up the good work :yep:

It's very interesting swopping over to led's, particularly watching how the plants develop compared to hps, an interesting source of material specific to cannabis lighting is Dr Bruce Bugbee founder of apogee instruments, there looking at lighting from the perspective of designing measuring instruments (not biased trying to sell lighting systems), very good data there if that rocks your boat.Will you be doing a diary when you swop over? If so I'll look out for it..

• Like 2

Update to led tent:

Removed the heater, temps were at about 28c, humidity 32%,this environment is not conducive to happy plants, they were looking rather fed up, so have given it 2 days for changes, plants much more firmer looking, temp now 22-24c more importantly humidity has gone up to 52%, as the plants go into proper flowering I'll start controlling hum with extraction, maybe warm the room in which the tent sits just to keep temps stable, the leaf temp has now gone from 26c to 22c..

• Like 2

On 16 September 2020 at 6:01 PM, trichomehi said:

It's very interesting swopping over to led's, particularly watching how the plants develop compared to hps, an interesting source of material specific to cannabis lighting is Dr Bruce Bugbee founder of apogee instruments, there looking at lighting from the perspective of designing measuring instruments (not biased trying to sell lighting systems), very good data there if that rocks your boat.Will you be doing a diary when you swop over? If so I'll look out for it..

Here you go mate :smokin:

• Like 1

You're flowering way too early, you haven't even filled your space with tops no wonder your yield is down you should really look around at the people getting decent yields they are putting diaries out there - mine included (see signature for links).

Even if those side shoots come out for stretch you still haven't filled your space effectively, you should be filling (or getting close to full) that net with tops before considering going 12/12.

Massive wastes of space where you can see light on your NFT trays is where you're losing your yield, they spread light pretty even so use all of your space.

• Like 4

On 18/09/2020 at 6:08 PM, Exhale said:

You're flowering way too early, you haven't even filled your space with tops no wonder your yield is down you should really look around at the people getting decent yields they are putting diaries out there - mine included (see signature for links).

Even if those side shoots come out for stretch you still haven't filled your space effectively, you should be filling (or getting close to full) that net with tops before considering going 12/12.

Massive wastes of space where you can see light on your NFT trays is where you're losing your yield, they spread light pretty even so use all of your space.

that's a fair comment, and your absolutely right, just lately i've been growing critical kush i've done a few and i'm still in the mindset of that strain, i can happily start those quite small and they will quickly fill the room, getting back to this all the plants have been flowered too early in this case so the difference between the leds and the hps is the same starting point, how the plants respond to the different lights is what i'm interested in. Following your diarys was what made me get these led's, in my case the difference between the quality of the flowers not just the yield was significant.

• Like 1

@trichomehi 

22 minutes ago, trichomehi said:

Following your diarys was what made me get these led's, in my case the difference between the quality of the flowers not just the yield was significant.

Are you saying that your flower quality was worse to match the yield? and if so, how so? 

led tent update 11 days into flowering:

leaf temp at 20c, room temp at 21-25c, humidity 53-58%, par meter reading: 600 umols (50%), plants finally started to go into growth spurt, slowly filling up the space. First signs of pistell growth.

large.5f68bb7387551_ledtent1.jpglarge.5f68bb7205dd4_flowerstartledtent.jpg 

first pistells..

hps tent 1 5 days into flowering

100lt res filled grow 100ml, bloom 200ml, cf:1.5, ph 6.0

leaf temp 22c, ait temp 24-28c, hum stable at 45%, par reading 630-650 umols

large.5f68bb70efee8_cornertent.jpg

hps room 2 5 days flowering

leaf temp 22c, room 25-28c, par reading 600umols

large.5f68bb76207a4_roomtent.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Exhale said:

@trichomehi 

Are you saying that your flower quality was worse to match the yield? and if so, how so? 

The taste and smell was normal, no problem there at all, what i was surprised by was the lack of trichcomes and the bud density, at the top of each bud it was comparable to hps, nice compact flower development, but the main difference was that only the top part was dense the cola got progressively less dense, were the main colas under the hps the whole cola was solid, its only when you get lower down the plant that the colas got less dense, this points more towards your style of training plants to grow sideways and create a more even canopy, i may have to look a lot closer at the style of grow I'm employing. Hope that makes sense..

• Like 3

@trichomehi yeah I've noticed buds will only go a certain size (similar to 250w HPS but way more dense) under the LEDs but because the spread is better than HPS the numbers you make up are through not just the amount of tops but the fact that wall to wall coverage will give you the same sized buds at the edge as in the middle.

Instead of 3/4 foot towering "donkey dick" cola's you're aiming for 12-17" decent sized, normalized, side branches that should all produce the same amount of bud, mine normally do about a half oz a branch 55-70g dry a plant in 3.5L pots.

As far as the trichome production that's entirely genetic and not the lights fault, in general I get more resin on my plants under LED, I get some really crystally plants but I also get really greasy, oily plants too. I still haven't had what you could consider a real frost monster yet but I'm not growing those kind of genetics the kind of genetics I am growing however didn't grow as well in general and all had the same bland hashy taste seemed like the same plant was coming out despite being a totally different breeder/strain.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Exhale said:

@trichomehi yeah I've noticed buds will only go a certain size (similar to 250w HPS but way more dense) under the LEDs but because the spread is better than HPS the numbers you make up are through not just the amount of tops but the fact that wall to wall coverage will give you the same sized buds at the edge as in the middle.

Instead of 3/4 foot towering "donkey dick" cola's you're aiming for 12-17" decent sized, normalized, side branches that should all produce the same amount of bud, mine normally do about a half oz a branch 55-70g dry a plant in 3.5L pots.

As far as the trichome production that's entirely genetic and not the lights fault, in general I get more resin on my plants under LED, I get some really crystally plants but I also get really greasy, oily plants too. I still haven't had what you could consider a real frost monster yet but I'm not growing those kind of genetics the kind of genetics I am growing however didn't grow as well in general and all had the same bland hashy taste seemed like the same plant was coming out despite being a totally different breeder/strain.

that makes sense, the light spread from these led's is much superior than the hps, the par meter backs that up, the next crop i'll manage the plants better, i really want to dial these lights in, as the tent environment is much easier to control, cheers for the feedback..

• Like 1

Just now, trichomehi said:

the light spread from these led's is much superior than the hps, the par meter backs that up

yeah mate you want to get your plants in that band where you're pushing 1000 umols in flower, more if you can this is why I over specced my space with the COB's I can push the PPFD quite high in a decent band from the tops of my tops right down to the middle of the plant which I also expose with defoliation, you can see a common theme on how I shape my plants this is where I've noticed the gains to be had since getting to know LED's :yep:

• Like 2