Automated bottom feeding?

sterling-archer

@blackpoolbouncer

What did you pull from that low maintenance grow bud? It looked alot like my sunset sherbet I was not happy with at all as so much was below the canopy. You had two nets too, why if you don't mind me asking? 

I was under the impression that was a manifold set up over sog or scrog as its beyond the betting.  That's why I pmd you about veg. Too long and too much gets left behind. 

I wanted to scrog this grow and keep it all within 10" of the net for even Stevens :)

I am on the fence about topping too or just training them into the net and flipping earlier so they stay even. 

Sterl

Edited by sterling-archer

On 28/08/2020 at 2:11 PM, sterling-archer said:

ThankYou for all the input everyone. 

@GSZZ @blackpoolbouncer

3. Pots

Im my whole time growing i have never used a pot smaller than 15l without been pot bound and subsequently ruining harvest, how the duck do you lot manage with small pots? My roots always fly out of them lol

I'm with you on this m8. My last grow, first in compost, went with 6.5 pots and had to saturate them 2 or more times a day at their peak to stop them wilting by morning , never again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ComfortablyDumb said:

2 or more times a day

That really doesn't sound correct, how hot was the room running? I'm not keen on using small pots but I have used 6.5s and water them every 2 days in hot weather

• Like 2

Went into flower the begining of April so don't think it was particulary hot and was only under a 600w.

I'd flood in morning, leave till no more runoff was soaking up and discard, around 4 liters.  I'd then have to soak again in the early hours, around 3 liters till runoff otherwise they'd be dry by morning.

It surprised me, I switched to compost to prevent all this. In coco I was up to 12 liter pots, one of the reasons I changed.

Was my first attempt with compost, dread to think what would have happened if I'd got my early watering nailed down

@ComfortablyDumb a 6.5l pot should hold about 2 litres of water. 

So when you say you gave 4 litres. Unless your only watering two plants you are only giving your plants a sip. 

A 6.5l pot shouldnt need watering twice a day. Even with a 6 foot tall plant in it it will still only be drinking 1.5-2l a day roughly.

Something's out of whack for you. Either you compost isn't holding water or your not saturating it 

• Like 2

On 29/08/2020 at 11:22 AM, sterling-archer said:

Another good idea bud, but what's the difference between this and bottom feeding? My head hurts lol

I think the difference is that the water is well oxygenated in the capillary matting and to a lesser extent in the fabric pots themselves. 

But I have only really become aware of the dangers of bottom feeding in this thread so what do I know.

• Like 1

On 01/09/2020 at 7:43 AM, blackpoolbouncer said:

@ComfortablyDumb a 6.5l pot should hold about 2 litres of water. 

So when you say you gave 4 litres. Unless your only watering two plants you are only giving your plants a sip. 

A 6.5l pot shouldnt need watering twice a day. Even with a 6 foot tall plant in it it will still only be drinking 1.5-2l a day roughly.

Something's out of whack for you. Either you compost isn't holding water or your not saturating it 

I'm talking one plant BB, and yes it was a big un.  Got to the stage where I was having to top up the tray during the day and again water at stupid o'clock, so well saturated. This was indoors/tent under 400/600, didn’t even get the best of starts.

It was a PITA, but didn't realize it indicated a problem. Had a couple of others, same strain, in a different mix and a little poorly but still needed more than you suggest.

I thought the need to feed 1/3 of volume was for optimum root developedand not a ceiling. If I didn't water it so much it would dry out and wilt so what could I do ?

I've noticed a big difference in my root development since dropping perlite out of my mix and going with clover multipurpose this plant was 3 weeks old and fully rooted out a 3.5L pot large.IMG_20200830_172801_compress14.jpg

Maybe it's just the mix you might need to change I don't have no problems with it taking long to absorb a few litres at a time in 9L pots of multipurpose and worm castings I just feed 1 litre at a time by the time I've watered 4 the first one I watered is ready for another litre then I repeat till they are fully watered.

• Like 5

Yesss! @UKsFinest 

Big up the clover massive!

E2a. Just a note, for anyone reading and this being the organic compost section, that clover isn't organic. 

Edited by blackpoolbouncer
  • Like 4

Next time after this time. I will build a full living soil from scratch per others advice. I am staying in line with a little of what i know this time so i don't create issues

All the input from everyone has been great and appreciated 

Sterl

• Like 3

• 2 years later...

Sorry to revive this thread but has anybody ever actually used those drippers to automate a soil grow? I bought some recently off a garden irrigation company online. The kit comes with watering spikes. I set a pump up in a res and pumped out the water through the spikes. Unfortunately the spikes just don’t water the soil evenly like you would with hand watering. Anybody found a way around this? I’m currently looking into Sub Irrigated Planters. Anybody have experience with these?