Automated bottom feeding?

sterling-archer

I am going back to dirt but i really want to make watering easier and more controlled.  Lets be honest, we all miss waterings at times when its all down to you. 

I will be bottom feeding with trays and want a way to make it automated so its no fuss. 

I was thinking a feed pipe to each tray and valves outside the room on a manifold so you can fill the trays one at a time. 

Any suggestions? 

Sterl

• Like 1

@nervous

That's totally different as far as im aware and no different to the wilma im getting rid of lol

More hydro than just a watering system  

Im hoping someone can inspire me with a nice style i haven't thought of yet. Autopots etc are too small for organic too as far as ive seen. 

Edited by sterling-archer

18 minutes ago, sterling-archer said:

That's totally different as far as im aware and no different to the wilma im getting rid of

I think you're going to have to go into a bit more detail about what you want to do then. If you wanted an automated bottom feeding system with various trays, I woul look to flood and drain to take ideas from there.  

If you want it automated, valves so you can fill them one at a time isn't really automated.

Also where are you thinking the runoff is going? Or are you not intending to have runoff? If you're automating the system you would need to constantly tweak it to achieve full soak but 0 runoff. Plus in organic soil having it constantly at a certain level of moisture is key. If you didn't get enough moisture in the top layers then your soil life wouldn't very much like it. 

I would do as UKbudz says and keep it simple with blumats. 

Edited by Nervous

Bottom feeding in soil is a terrible idea. I'd put it to bed now unless your thinking of using some sort of capillary set up. 

• Like 5

@ukbudz

Very interesting, i will look into this electric free black magic lol

@blackpoolbouncer

My last grow soil i did autos in 25l pots and literally dumped 6l in each bottom tray on watering . They wicked the lot up in 24 hours each time and i would drain excess off. 

They were very big and nice plants returning 3-4 o each indoors so im quite surprised its considered a no no. I loved it as you didn't have to slow your watering down to stop perlite floating or disturb the top soil. 

Bottom fed all my toms and herbs this year too in the poly with good success.

Really surprised its frowned on, reminds me to trust my own experience more sometimes and not be as anxious haha

Sterl

You can automate a Sub Irrigated Planter using a float valve. Something I’d love to test out one day.

1 minute ago, sterling-archer said:

My last grow soil i did autos in 25l pots and literally dumped 6l in each bottom tray.

What kind of bottom tray was this? 

• Like 1

@B0bbyBuds

Just drip trays bud oversized so they take a full watering

I just want to fill the trays again without using the can each time and opening the tent up. 

I also found roots go prolific as they are looking for the water they sense below 

I did have issues with them getting pot bound though but blame the goodness of biosys. Too much and you'll sharp fill a pot. Going to use fabric pots this time and see how air pruning helps. 

Maybe im the one ahead of a curve here lol

• Like 2

@sterling-archer have to agree with blackpoolbounder on this one. While I like finding new ways of doing things it probably isn't a great premise.  

If you want to do something original (or at least something I haven't seen people doing on here) look into ollas. They're a very old device that all the blumats are based on. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, blackpoolbouncer said:

Bottom feeding in soil is a terrible idea. I'd put it to bed now unless your thinking of using some sort of capillary set up. 

5 minutes ago, sterling-archer said:

They were very big and nice plants returning 3-4 o each indoors so im quite surprised its considered a no no. I loved it as you didn't have to slow your watering down to stop perlite floating or disturb the top soil. 

BPB is on the money mate, I'd have hung up my gardening gloves if I only struck 4 oz from a 25 litre pot. When you bottom feed you aren't looking after your plants, you're looking after yourself. You give them want you want because its easier for you.

But, if you're going to go down this sort of route your best and only options are blumats and autopot valves with the plan!it watering timers but TBH just stick to top feeding them.

I've been around growing and hydro for many many years now as some of you know, one of my favourite things to see and hear is when lads who bottom feed start complaining when it all goes wrong "I've always done it like this! Nothing has changed in years!"

It works a treat until it doesn't :yep:

• Like 9

@B0bbyBuds

Not at all bud

The only time i top watered was in very early stages pre final pot and at the end i hit them with ro on flush from the top the last few times to ensure i got all i could washed out the soil

@GSZZ

So what is the optimum watering style for soil then in concensus bud?

I used to hate taking 2 hours to get 7l into them and if you get impatient you float the perlite and compact your soil so this became my preferred method. 

I get the point totally though it was done to suit me originally 

You hear the soil pulling through itself as well when you bottom feed and i thought that would be pulling aeration downwards to the roots

2 minutes ago, sterling-archer said:

So what is the optimum watering style for soil then in concensus bud?

Organic soil? Blumats. 

• Like 2