Amsterdam showed the way

schmoak

14 hours ago, schmoak said:

Nah, I remember arguing this back then ....

https://www.cannabisculture.com/content/2009/06/24/un-backs-drug-decriminalization-world-drug-report/

"UN Backs Drug Decriminalization In World Drug Report

By Ryan Grim, The Huffington Post on June 24, 2009

FacebookTwitterRedditPinterest

In an about face, the United Nations on Wednesday lavishly praised drug decriminalization in its annual report on the state of global drug policy.

In previous years, the UN drug czar had expressed skepticism about Portugal’s decriminalization, which removed criminal penalties in 2001 for personal drug possession and emphasized treatment over incarceration. The UN had suggested the policy was in violation of international drug treaties and would encourage “drug tourism.”

But in its 2009 World Drug Report, the UN had little but kind words for Portugal’s radical (by U.S. standards) approach. “These conditions keep drugs out of the hands of those who would avoid them under a system of full prohibition, while encouraging treatment, rather than incarceration, for users. Among those who would not welcome a summons from a police officer are tourists, and, as a result, Portugal’s policy has reportedly not led to an increase in drug tourism,” reads the report. “It also appears that a number of drug-related problems have decreased.”

In its upbeat appraisal of Portugal’s policy, the UN finds itself in agreement with Salon’s Glenn Greenwald.

The report, released at the National Press Club in Washington, D.C., also puts to rest concerns that decriminalization doesn’t comply with international treaties, which prevent countries from legalizing drugs.

U.S. Drug Czar Gil Kerlikowske is scheduled to appear at the announcement of the report. (He has said “decriminalization” is not “in my vocabulary.”)

“The International Narcotics Control Board was initially apprehensive when Portugal changed its law in 2001 (see their annual report for that year), but after a mission to Portugal in 2004, it “noted that the acquisition, possession and abuse of drugs had remained prohibited,” and said “the practice of exempting small quantities of drugs from criminal prosecution is consistent with the international drug control treaties,” reads a footnote to the report.

The UN report also dives head first into the debate over full drug legalization. Last year’s World Drug Report ignored the issue entirely, save for a reference to Chinese opium policy in the 19th Century. This year’s report begins with a lengthy rebuttal of arguments in favor of legalization. “Why unleash a drug epidemic in the developing world for the sake of libertarian arguments made by a pro-drug lobby that has the luxury of access to drug treatment?” argues the report.

But the UN also makes a significant concession to backers of legalization, who have long argued that it is prohibition policies that lead to violence and the growth of shadowy, underground networks.

“In the Preface to the report,” reads the press release accompanying the report, “[UN Office of Drugs and Crime Executive Director Antonio Maria] Costa explores the debate over repealing drug controls. He acknowledges that controls have generated an illicit black market of macro-economic proportions that uses violence and corruption.”

Jack Cole, executive director of Law Enforcement Against Prohibition (LEAP) and a retired undercover narcotics detective, objected to the report’s classification of current policy as “control.”

“The world’s ‘drug czar,’ Antonio Maria Costa, would have you believe that the legalization movement is calling for the abolition of drug control,” he said. “Quite the contrary, we are demanding that governments replace the failed policy of prohibition with a system that actually regulates and controls drugs, including their purity and prices, as well as who produces them and who they can be sold to. You can’t have effective control under prohibition, as we should have learned from our failed experiment with alcohol in the U.S. between 1920 and 1933.”

– Article from The Huffington Post.

Read the full UN World Drug Report 2009.

The difficulty back then was the Daily-Blackmailers took the moral high ground in the dabate.

We Knew it was lies then like we know it's all lies now.  Pure TV Fiction/Addiction.

Fair enough, a lot of the reports I saw in early December 2020 when the vote occurred were calling it "historic" and musing whether or not it would result in more nations decriminalising or legalising.

I don't want to get into a lengthy discussion, there's little point, it's a hypothetical situation at the moment and it's been argued to death, we'll just have to wait and see. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Conroy said:

we'll just have to wait and see.

Exactly, I've been waiting for 11-12 years and a buddy of mine said in 2010 that it would be a matter of a short time like you did,  everything swirled it brought me right back to those days.

Personally? I'm in great shape  but the town is such a dead old miserable mean-spirited dump patrolled by punishment patrols, needless to say it does not get a good review and has a terrible reputation, hence why it was so :magic: magic to arrive in Amsterdam for a change.:yinyang:

12 minutes ago, schmoak said:

Exactly, I've been waiting for 11-12 years and a buddy of mine said in 2010 that it would be a matter of a short time like you did,  everything swirled it brought me right back to those days.

Personally? I'm in great shape  but the town is such a dead old miserable mean-spirited dump patrolled by punishment patrols, needless to say it does not get a good review and has a terrible reputation, hence why it was so :magic: magic to arrive in Amsterdam for a change.:yinyang:

But in 2010 Canada and half the US hadn't legalised for recreational, Uruguay hadn't decriminalised, South Africa hadn't decriminalised, Mexico wasn't on the cusp of legalisation, the M.O.R.E act hadn't passed through the house of representatives, medical marijuana wasn't legal in the UK, etc.

We're in a very different place now.

2 hours ago, Conroy said:

We're in a very different place now.

Who? Not in Briarland!, The Royal Chief Medical Officer Legal General's (or whatever - Medical boris's) are dead against it. The courts are against it and still criminalising percy and preventing coffeeshops? Something must change outside of government within the electorate. Government still have not apologised for the disgraceful David Nutt Sacking, That affair is rather significant in determining the sort of logic of MO which Briarish governments still operate under. They keep on with their prohibitive criminalisation which in itself appears to be illegal action.

We could be in a very different place now. Personally I derive some strength from identifying and denying engagement with Prohibition and its associated industries, making a distinction and switching/devoting everything radically towards Normalisation.

One door closes, another opens . . . Oh look! Centraal Station Platform 2 :yahoo:

15 hours ago, schmoak said:

Who? Not in Briarland!, The Royal Chief Medical Officer Legal General's (or whatever - Medical boris's) are dead against it. The courts are against it and still criminalising percy and preventing coffeeshops? Something must change outside of government within the electorate. Government still have not apologised for the disgraceful David Nutt Sacking, That affair is rather significant in determining the sort of logic of MO which Briarish governments still operate under. They keep on with their prohibitive criminalisation which in itself appears to be illegal action.

We could be in a very different place now. Personally I derive some strength from identifying and denying engagement with Prohibition and its associated industries, making a distinction and switching/devoting everything radically towards Normalisation.

One door closes, another opens . . . Oh look! Centraal Station Platform 2 :yahoo:

I meant as in the world and the general attitude towards cannabis from its inhabitants in general.

The approval rating for legalisation in the US is now around 66% I believe,  it was nowhere near that in 2010.

We will follow, we always do, it's just a matter of when.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Conroy said:

I meant as in the world and the general attitude towards cannabis from its inhabitants in general.

The approval rating for legalisation in the US is now around 66% I believe,  it was nowhere near that in 2010.

We will follow, we always do, it's just a matter of when.

Fair enough Conroy it's just tough on the recipients of prohibitive justice at the moment, that's all, something we'd consider while choosing from 'menus' no less,  back when . . .

Amsterdam had been showing how normalised things could be for the win - win . . . . with no sin :dev:  . . . well maybe some :wink_kiss: Te Huur.

One of the differences is to do with charging of a Crime, Guilt and Punishment. That's a big issue? we always new their was no crime at the coffeeshop.

When Britain stops telling lies and tells the truth instead, that'll make a good start.

Powercut again.:yep:

Edited by schmoak

1 hour ago, schmoak said:

Fair enough Conroy it's just tough on the recipients of prohibitive justice at the moment, that's all, something we'd consider while choosing from 'menus' no less,  back when . . .

Amsterdam had been showing how normalised things could be for the win - win . . . . with no sin :dev:  . . . well maybe some :wink_kiss: Te Huur.

One of the differences is to do with charging of a Crime, Guilt and Punishment. That's a big issue? we always new their was no crime at the coffeeshop.

When Britain stops telling lies and tells the truth instead, that'll make a good start.

Powercut again.:yep:

The truth is in The Emperor Wears no Clothes book which is free to read on the Jack Herer website, it should be compulsory in schools but sadly it's more likely to be banned as it stands :(

All we can do is to try and get people to read it and hope it convinces them as much as it should anyone who's in their right mind.