The best way to grow Auto's in a Greenhouse???

inapond13

Looks like my one bypasses the reservoir but it still needs to be in place for it to operate. Given how quick it filled today I’ll definitely be switching to continuous drainage for the rest of my grow. 

• Like 3

I have continuous drain set up and the hose drains outside.  I got my hose from my local aquarium supplier, perfect fit, no clamp required.  It might have been 3/8" hose but I'm not positive.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, inapond13 said:

I have continuous drain set up and the hose drains outside.  I got my hose from my local aquarium supplier, perfect fit, no clamp required.  It might have been 3/8" hose but I'm not positive.

That would be better as the gas hose (I happened to have a piece to hand) is thick-walled to make it resist the pressure and rather tight fit in the reservoir door hole it has to traverse.

• Like 1

I have been out to the greenhouse again this morning.  I have been keeping a very close eye on where I had the stem rot and have made the decision today to chop off that affected area:

large.IMG_20200728_083845.jpg

Luckily, there are currently no other areas of rot and the Daiquiri Lime still has plenty of nice buds left:

large.IMG_20200728_084327.jpg

I have taken a few pictures of the chopped down bud and have now sent it to hang out in my attic for a couple of weeks:

large.IMG_20200728_094154.jpglarge.IMG_20200728_093938.jpglarge.IMG_20200728_093829.jpglarge.IMG_20200728_094027.jpg

This plant has some really nice chunky nugs, can't wait til it's dry so can try :)

Yesterday I filled the reservoir with plain water to initiate a flush.

Edited by inapond13
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, inapond13 said:

Looking nice and frosty there @AutoAberdeen.  How long do you think they will go?  Mine are currently on 99 days since seed went into soil.

I think maybe another week to go but I’m a first timer so might be wrong 

• Like 1

The plants are coming along really well.  No more stem rot or bud rot which is always nice.

I'm going to show the pictures of the 4 plants from front to back as they are growing in the greenhouse.

First up is Auto Brooklyn Sunrise 1:

large.IMG_20200729_170625.jpglarge.IMG_20200729_170644.jpglarge.IMG_20200729_170636.jpg

This plant is very frosty and has pretty decent nugs on her.  I think that this will be one of the first to get the chop.

Next is Auto Brooklyn Sunrise 2.  This plant is much shorter than the first but still has nice nugs, also the colour of the buds are a little darker.  This plant is kinda hidden between it's 2 larger neighbours so couldn't really get a shot of the plant as a whole.  Here is a shot of the main cola:

large.IMG_20200729_170658.jpg

Auto Brooklyn Sunrise 3 is very different to the other 2.  All 3 are really quite different!  The buds on this one are a bit leafy and certainly not as dense as the others.  A big tall plant though and nice and frosty:

large.IMG_20200729_170720.jpglarge.IMG_20200729_170743.jpg

Last but not lease is the Auto Daiquiri Lime.  This is a monster of an Auto, bigger than quite a few photo-period plants I have grown and is definitely my favourite.  There are loads of really nice dense buds all over this thing.  It will for sure be the last to finish as is still popping out plenty of white pistils.  As long as I can keep the humidity under control, and regular bud checking for rot, this should produce really well.  On to the pictures:

large.IMG_20200729_170807.jpglarge.IMG_20200729_170819.jpglarge.IMG_20200729_170855.jpglarge.IMG_20200729_170912.jpg

The only pests I have had are a few whitefly and aphids under the bottom most leaves, occasionally a decent number young aphids on 1 or 2 leaves.  I pick these off and put into the compost.

I really need to get my photo-period plants re-potted and into the space where these Auto's are, but I'm not prepared to disturb these yet.

Here is a pic of my photo-periods:

large.IMG_20200729_171330.jpg

They all got a 2nd topping yesterday as I don't want these to get too high.  

They are:

2 x Dinafem Critical 2.0

2 x Random seeds from previously grown Dinafem Critical 2.0 (I got about a dozen seeds in total, no males involved)

2 x Dinafem Strawberry Amnesia (thanks @Dinafem-Mark)

I'll probably start a new thread for these once the Auto's come to a close in the next few weeks.

:):):)

• Like 7

Looking good @inapond13

Hows thr drying going had a taster yet?

How have you picked your strains? Any ideas for next years list?

Still rating the quadgrows?

• Like 1

Very interesting how large your autos are.  I wonder if growing in quadpots it is because they have an unlimited supply of water and dissolved nutrients.  I have noticed that the same kind of relatively cold-resistant plants inside the greenhouse and outside it, like flat-leaf parsley often do better outside even with essentially the same supply of light, and my salad leaves exploded into growth when they were getting the water from the dehumidifier hose.  One would expect subtropical plants like peppers to favour the greenhouse of course.

Seeing your results means that next year I'll try watering / feeding some at the same concentration but twice the amount as the others to see if there is a difference.  Shouldn't be a problem with waterlogging as 1) you have not got that with quadpots even when the plants have sent roots into the reservoir and 2) any excess for mine will be able to drain into the surrounding soil. 

@growinggold I was surprised at how quickly the harvested bud dried in the attic.  i usually dry it in October and it always takes at least two weeks.  I went to check last Friday and they were already crispy, dried a bit too fast for my liking.  To say that though, I have just finished the last joint from it and it is pretty good.  Straight from the attic it was a little harsh, the moisture content hadn't equalised throughout the buds but it was the only bud I had to smoke (I still have a little bubble bag resin to keep me going:)) After being in the jar for a few days it got a lot smoother.  Looking forward to the rest that will be more developed and get a proper cure.

Not sure on strains for next year yet.  Might enter a breeder competition as I have ran out of auto seeds.  I have actively entered the Dinafem outdoor growing competition a couple of years ago and like that community.  In exchange for a free seeds I'll supply a grow diary.  Have liked what I have tried from them in the past but have never tried their auto's.  And in the quadgrows it will be a show.  Yes, still loving the quadgrows :)

@Socksnsandals I can't believe how large these plants have become either.  The Daiquiri Lime will rival the yield of some of my better past photo-periods plants in this greenhouse.  Cannabis and the quadgrows seem to be a great pairing and one I will be continuing next year for sure.  They have all the nutrients and water they need and optimal growth occurs.  The soil in the 10 litre pots are almost bone dry and I haven't been adding any feed or water to the soil.  I believe I have in the past, under-watered my plants, trying to give a good wet/dry cycle, but in the greenhouse, I think that a daily watering is better once the plants get big.  Obviously, very little water is needed for young plants and I would only water once a week at the most when they were smaller.

I spent some time with the plants yesterday and totally wreaked of weed after :)  I decided to get in and do a bit of defoliation.  I wanted to ensure good airflow and check on the pest situation.  The bud where I found caterpillar webbing had a little more webbing, so that means that the little bugger is still at large.  He must still be pretty small, as evidence is minimal and no Caterpillar curled up leaf homes seen yet.  Not too worried about this, will keep checking daily.

I did remove some leaves that were heavily infested with young aphids.  There were plenty of leaves that were aphid free and the ones which were covered where lower, older leaves.  I have found an area of bud on 2 different plants that have had some aphid interest.  They don't seem to like the really sugary buds but have congregated on some of the outer budleaf.  I decided to just trim off these green bits of budleaf, aphids and all.  Overall, I'm not really worried about the aphids, I think they are under control.  If were any other plant, I would have the spray gun on them with a washing up liquid solution which always works, but I don't want to be doing that at this stage with the plants.

I also found a few two spotted ride spider mite.  I know, The Borg.  Not too worried at this stage though.  There really weren't many and I removed the affected leaves.  I reckon I saw 30 and I was looking closely.  I have dealt with these every year and at this late stage of flower, more predator mites would be ineffective.  I already have some predator mites that I introduced earlier that are now probably loving the RSM feast.  I have not seen any webbing or more than 3 mites on any leaf, but I did see eggs.  My plants are so far along now that these are not concerning me.  There are no mites on the buds and I am removing any sign of them that I find.

I also find a few whitefly on the older, lower leaves but not in any great quantity and these leaves have also been removed now anyway.

Overall, I am still totally blown away at how these auto's have grown and are producing in these quadgrows.  I suppose it is essentially just simple hydroponics for the greenhouse, but it is simple and very easy to do.  I haven't even pH'ed my water once (maybe I just have the right water) and just gone with my gut with the amount of nutrients.

I probably removed 100 or so leaves and this is what they looked like yesterday after their trim:

large.IMG_20200805_162532.jpglarge.IMG_20200805_162536.jpg

I also re-potted the photo-periods the other day and they are looking much happier:

large.IMG_20200805_162613.jpg

I have a busy few weeks coming up.  We are having some house renovations done and I have a lot of clearing of stuff and boxing up to do and may not get much time to update.  I will though fit in the time to harvest my crop and take some pictures.  Will upload when I can.  Slightly concerned about drying in my attic after recent experience though.  Will have to monitor them closely once in there.

Until next time... :)

• Like 6

@inapond13 great shots got to be proud of them girls. Good luck with you drying. Im very new this but i will defo be trying to dry my bud over two weeks, the difference in smell and taste was defiantly noticeable from 1 week to 2 weeks. Could you make dry box from cardboard? 

So in total you have 10 plants in the greenhouse? 4 autos in flower and 6 photos waiting to flower?

You mentioned you came out smelling after you did some tidying up, is the smell much when you standing outside with the door open.

The reason i ask is im currently weighing my options up for next year in the GH. Im thinking ill get away with 4 in quadgrows.

I have 2 in pots atm and smell is low, you can smell them but you have to put your nose right up in it. Im not massively into flower mind.

Ill update my diary soon and explain what i mean proper.

Good luck with you renovations! 

• Like 1

Your plants look fantastic @inapond13, amazing size for autos!

As for the drying in the attic, every attic I've ever entered in Summer in the UK is scorching hot.. I just put a digi thermometer in my attic and it's reading 42'C, while it's 27'C inside the house and pushing 30'C in direct sun outside. It's also very low humidity up there, assumedly because of the heat, reading approx 15% lower than the ambient humidity of 52-55% inside the house..

This time of year, at least at my location, it's difficult to get a 2 week dry even in a bedroom on the North side of the house, the coolest room in the house. Still pushing 25'C in there..

In any case I would strongly recommend against using the attic this time of year, there's no way you're going to get anything other than quick dried matierial...

Atb

• Like 2

@growinggold Yep, 10 plants in there at the moment.  The smell outside the greenhouse isn't much.  Within 2 metres you may get the occasional whiff but not much.  I smelled so much because I was reaching through the plants to get at leaves on the opposite side that I couldn't really get to and for maybe an hour.  Even after washing my hands and arms, the smell was still there, and my clothes wreaked too.

@HullFeltMashematician Cheers for the drying advice as I have never dried weed at this time of year before.  I really haven't got any options other than the attic when it comes to drying.  I do have a Humidifier that will bring the humidity up a bit in the attic.  I don't have a free bedroom and in 10 days we are starting a 4 week building works project at home and will have tradesmen around constantly.  I do have a north facing metal shed but that certainly isn't ideal either.  I would be very concerned about the smell if drying in there as it is very close to some neighbours.  

• Like 1