The best way to grow Auto's in a Greenhouse???

inapond13

Last year, I was gifted some tomato growing pots called Quadgrow.  Here is a guide to how they work - Quadgrow Guide - They have water troughs and a wick system to feed the plants.  I grew tomatoes last year and they were amazing.  But every moment I was thinking 'What if I grew some Autos in there?'.  The temptation was too great and this year, I planted the following on April 20th:

3 x Brooklyn Sunrise Auto (Dutch Passion 2018)

1 x Daiquiri Lime Auto (Dutch Passion 2018)

After a few days I all 4 of the seeds had sprouted:

large.IMG_20200426_071508.jpg

• Like 1

Here they are on 10th May:

large.IMG_20200510_171940.jpg

And the 22nd May:

large.IMG_20200522_082814.jpg

They have been fed Formulex at the recommended dose on the bottle, directly into the trough.

• Like 2

1st June update.  Growth really kicking in, still just Formulex as the nutrient...

large.IMG_20200601_134123.jpg

And on 8th June...

large.IMG_20200608_105911.jpg

A quick root shot from 11th June...

large.IMG_20200611_133828.jpg

And the plants on the 15th June, not 2 months old yet...

large.IMG_20200615_143956.jpg

• Like 7

20th June pic...

large.IMG_20200620_081422.jpg

30th June.  Starting to run low on Formulex so have ordered some Aqua Flores and waiting for it to arrive...

large.IMG_20200630_102609.jpg

And a picture from 1st July...

large.IMG_20200701_163541.jpg

Its now been nearly 3 weeks since that last picture and there has been phenomenal growth.  I have grown both of these strains before in the same greenhouse but in 10 litre pots and they were tiny in comparison, only producing a few grams of product at the end of the day per plant.  I'll take some more pictures tomorrow, they are totally dominating that space and are 7ft tall.  Big ass buds forming.

To be on the safe side, I have just ordered some predator mites for Red Spider Mite.  I get them every year and it pays to get the predators early.  I currently have no signs of RSM, but want it to stay that way.  The only pests I’ve encountered are a few whitefly and aphids on the lowest leaves.  I have removed them and added to the compost 

I am getting concerned over the humidity as the buds are now getting bigger.  I have a dehumidifier ready to go but keep hoping for the weather the get a bit better.  Been wet and cloudy for ages now in the NW.  I reckon if it doesn't get any drier in the next week, the dehumidifier will be turned on.

More pics in the morning :)

• Like 6

I’ve had 3 plants in my garden this year, 2 in open air and one in small greenhouse/cloche, the outside girls are doing fine, but the girl In the cloche I binned last week because of spider mite. My bestie and veteran grower of 30+ years has had to do the same with his greenhouse grows. I think it’s the weather, the humidity has been so high for weeks now, creating ideal conditions for the fuckers. I’ve ordered some predator bags too, I’m paranoid now :D

Your plants look banging mate, gonna get some mega buds off those. Get the dehumidifier on asap, I have one in my indoor grow room and been emptying 10l a day in the sunny SW :yep: 

@Flamedodger I'm a big promoter of the dehumidifier in the greenhouse and it has allowed me to have less than 10g of budrot in the last 3 years.  The unseasonally shitty weather we are getting and the great growth of my plants means that the dehumidifier will be on sooner rather than later, especially in the evenings when the temps drop.  I have a continuous drain on the dehumidifier and I find that it reduces humidity by 15- 25%.  The buds aren't super dense yet and I am playing it by my experience with humidity, bud size, temps, plant condition to gauge it right when to turn it on.  Hopefully iIget it right :)

I received my spider mite predators today and distributed around all the plants in my greenhouse.  I have found from previous experience that the RSM prefer certain other plants to the cannabis.  Cucumbers are great and I have those in my greenhouse this year.  RSM will most likely form on them first before my precious girls that cannot be replaced from the supermarket.  Last year they settled on my tomatoes first and I had never previously had RSM on tomatoes and I grow them every year.

Thanks for your comment :yep:

• Like 4

I've been out and taken a few pictures today:

large.IMG_20200725_112111.jpglarge.IMG_20200725_112157.jpglarge.IMG_20200725_112137.jpglarge.IMG_20200725_112131.jpglarge.IMG_20200725_112121.jpglarge.IMG_20200725_112212.jpg

As you can just see in the first couple of pictures, there is a small bit of bud rot on a single bud on the tallest plant at the back (Auto Daiquiri Lime).  I have snipped it off and disposed of it.  No other sign of rot at the moment.  I have cranked my dehumidifier up a bit to try to help.  Some consistent sunny weather would be awesome at the moment though.

The rest of the plants are doing great.  Some of the fan leaves are starting yellow and I think that within 2 weeks most of these plants will have been harvested.  I really need the space in the greenhouse as I have 6 x photo period plants that are desperate for re-potting.

• Like 8

Pity you got rot even with a dehumidifier.  I suppose that while we can reduce the humidity in the air, there will be microclimates like the spaces between adjacent flower buds in the colas.  At least we can protect the plants from rain and with the dehumidifier, drops of condensation from the glass or polycarbonate. Down here we have had intermittent showers all day and some really heavy pulses of rain (overwhelming the road drains on hills).  The humidity is 69% at 22c inside the house and as the temperature dropped and the storms passed over it started rising rapidly in the greenhouse so I put on the dehumidifier on "laundry" (low rh) setting and watching the temperature rise and humidity drop with satisfaction.  I also avoid touching the buds to minimise the risk of microinjuries which could allow the fungal spores a nice environment to start growing.  

• Like 1

Got my dehumidifier on laundry too, it does seem to be helping my auto to look more like coming to a finish in the last few days. Shame about the on and off rain, seems to play havoc with the humidity levels. 

• Like 2

I went to check the humidity this morning about 8am and was at 55% so was pretty pleased with that.  I'm also checking the buds closely each day looking for signs.  I've just ordered a macro lens for my phone so hope to get some good close ups later :)

I also resist touching the buds, there is enough of that at chop time.  I haven't had any condensation on the inside but may get the odd drip during really heavy rain.  Last year I had a few caterpillars that would cause a bit of budrot but I couldn't see any evidence of caterpillar damage this time.

• Like 2

Looking very very nice @inapond13 sir :)      Impressive ladies and that 4 pot system looks very interesting !   I will be doing some digging on that shortly.   

I will be lurking in the corner to see how the dehumidifier works for you ,  i normally start in the g/h then get the fems & autos out in the sun as soon as she starts forming but doing a late run of autos means i may need to keep them under glass weather dependent !   

Good luck and keep the updates coming please :) 

• Like 1

Thanks @OldFord, I'm loving the quadgrow at the moment.  Looking forward to getting my first grow with this system completed and see how it plays out?

I wish I had the space and privacy to grow in the garden, kids and neighbours would make it difficult but I can make it work if contained to the greenhouse.  It's not such a bad place to grow :)

• Like 1

Just been testing out my new clip on macro lens.  I need a tripod or something to keep it steady but I'm pretty happy with the result:

large.IMG_20200726_141051.jpglarge.IMG_20200726_141128.jpglarge.IMG_20200726_141230.jpg

• Like 8