First Poly Carbonate Auto Northern Lights Grow

growinggold

Thanks all for sharing!

That Lemon Juice Express looks incredible i might have to get myself some that, would like a fruity lemon jar to tuck into @Socksnsandals Where was thus from?

@Grover Sativa great info thanks mate,I will defiantly reduce plants in green house next year and may get a bigger oscillating fan, my GH has power.

Its the first year growing anything in there so i got well excited. What seed bank and strains do recommend for rot resistance? 

Ive not into seeding yet, I will look to get bit better and growing first. This will be the next step. 

Next year i will do 3/4 in quad grows. And only grow in quad grows so that will be 16 quad grow space and 3 chilli grow spaces.

Which will equate to;

3/4 ganja spots

2 cucumbers

1 cucamelon

1 crystal lemon

5 toms

3 peppers

3 chillis (maybe sneak another gal in here, i dont eat that much chilli)

No pots on the floor and no melons they have been absolute space and time waster this year. 

• Like 1

I see that they do a photo lemon citron which is an unrelated and tasty looking strain but it sounds as if it turns into a massive bush...!

ETA I had good results with this last year as well.  The other auto I have found good is Sensi Seeds Superskunk.  Both have fairly dense buds when in late flower so, as with all dense budded plants, a mould risk.  Now that the bulk of each greenhouse plant has been harvested leaving just the lowest 1/4 of each I have not had the dehumidifier on for the last two nights but will start it again tonight as the rh was 89% in there this morning.  The LJE in the pot in the photo is not at significant risk of mould because I keep it in the dry environment of the attic under a roof window at night and if there is a risk of rain when it is in flower I bring it into the greenhouse during the day.  Speaking of which, I had better do so now as there are thunderstorms forecast and I have to get back to work so won't be around to fuss over it. 

Edited by Socksnsandals
  • Like 1

Thanks @Socksnsandals i will read up on this later.

Just been to water and feed them again, gave each a 1L this time.

Noticed a really dark leaf on my best pone hopes it not rot. 

large.IMG_20200811_135718.jpglarge.IMG_20200811_135723.jpg

plant 2.

See the black circle here I picked the rot off.

large.IMG_20200811_135731.jpglarge.IMG_20200811_135728.jpg

• Like 1

give the leaf a little tug and see if it is secure.  if it comes out, have a deep inspection for rot.  also check out that brown leaf 2 buds down from where you already removed budrot.

do you know what the humidity level is in your greenhouse.

• Like 1

Yeah its was rot on both so nipped a little chunk out the best plant 1 and taken the whole of that bud off plant 2, also broke some leaves so took them off also.

Didn't mean to so that but my ham hands aren't great. 

Current humi is 65% and max was 95%. ive reset the sensor to find out what its like over the next 24hr.

I may invest in another SensorPush Wireless Thermometer/Hygrometer give me better indication of when it humi and not. 

Im guessing in the mornings its most humi. 

Next year i will defiantly get a proper floor standing oscillating fan and decent dehumidifier if i can afford it.

got to treat this year as test run really, really am quite miffed about the best one though as it has the fan on it most the time and it was really bulking out. 

• Like 1

Yeah checked this morning back upto 92% humi. Left the door open all night as the fan was in inkbird set to 15° so hopefully that will been on majority of the night also. 

• Like 1

Bud rot update, turned the plant round on the best on and found more.

nooo gutted. tbh cleaned it up.

what do you think?

large.IMG_20200813_120941.jpg

also go brutal with GH last night and cleaned it all put to improve air flow.

Also found this on my pepper what is it?

large.IMG_20200812_204627.jpg

• Like 1

On 11/08/2020 at 9:08 AM, growinggold said:

Thanks all for sharing!

That Lemon Juice Express looks incredible i might have to get myself some that, would like a fruity lemon jar to tuck into @Socksnsandals Where was thus from?

@Grover Sativa great info thanks mate,I will defiantly reduce plants in green house next year and may get a bigger oscillating fan, my GH has power.

Its the first year growing anything in there so i got well excited. What seed bank and strains do recommend for rot resistance? 

Ive not into seeding yet, I will look to get bit better and growing first. This will be the next step. 

Next year i will do 3/4 in quad grows. And only grow in quad grows so that will be 16 quad grow space and 3 chilli grow spaces.

Which will equate to;

3/4 ganja spots

2 cucumbers

1 cucamelon

1 crystal lemon

5 toms

3 peppers

3 chillis (maybe sneak another gal in here, i dont eat that much chilli)

No pots on the floor and no melons they have been absolute space and time waster this year. 

Bangi haze by Ace Seeds. It’s got a very euphoric high that is all sativa.. and is very tolerant to rain, cold, clouds, etc.. due to the Nepalese influence. It is also great for outcrossing to make tolerant hybrids! This year I have made Mangobiche x Bangi and Zamaldelica x Bangi hybrids for next summer and Bangi x Kalamata Red is on its way too!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, growinggold said:

Bud rot update, turned the plant round on the best on and found more.

nooo gutted. tbh cleaned it up.

what do you think?

large.IMG_20200813_120941.jpg

also go brutal with GH last night and cleaned it all put to improve air flow.

Also found this on my pepper what is it?

large.IMG_20200812_204627.jpg

I think scrape as much Rot out as you can and keep the vents open. This rain will not help so eyes peeled. The next sign of rot means decision time... don’t be gutted. This is normal and all part of the learning process.

A greenhouse tube heater on in the morning to dry out any overnight damp will help no end. Airflow airflow airflow.

unfortunately, modern hybrids are not very tolerant and ask for a lot from you. Landrace and Landrace hybrids offer better highs and more tolerant plants. Try Auto Zamaldelica or Auto NL/Malawi for better results next year.

Edited by Grover Sativa
  • Like 3

Thanks @Grover Sativa its my own stupid fault then. ive been lazy and not switching my thermostat from cooling to heating on the evening like i was few months ago.

I will make sure to have the heater on during the night to burn of some humi early morning and then switch to fan in the day.

I will also get cheap floor standing oscillating fan next season, winter time will be ideal to buy this hopefully. 

Nice heads up on the landrace strains im trying to compile a list now for next year.

So far on the list ive got:

Ace Seeds- Bangi haze

Auto NL/Malawi 

Real Gorilla- Lemon Drizzle

Humbolt- Lemon Juice express-

Brooklyn Sunrise auto

Sweet seeds black jack

Got a real craving atm for something proper fruity lemons lemons lemons. But i may stick something like this in my indoor space. 

• Like 3

Sorry to see your rot. I invested in a dehumidifier and had it running overnight a few weeks ago when the plants were at the stage yours are at.  Had to unscrew the greenhouse vent auto-openers as the desiccant dehumidifiers heat the air as part of the way they work so the dehumidifier kept the temperature at 18-22c when it was down to 14-15c outside.  If not disconnected the vents would have opened at about 20c releasing the warm dry air.  It kept the relative humidity to about 65% and I didn't get any rot. 

I note that the humidity has hit highs of 95% both in the greenhouse and in the outside air during the last week (which is why we naked apes who were attempting to thermoregulate by trying to evaporate sweat into already saturated air which was only 2 degrees cooler than we are felt so uncomfortable) so no amount of opening and blowing 95% humid air at the plants would guarantee to counteract that.  Only heating (to reduce the relative humidity even if the total amount of water in the air is the same) +/- dehumidifying the air could.  However, it was exceptional weather and ventilation and fans should help in more normal conditions. 

Edited by Socksnsandals
sweaty apes
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Socksnsandals said:

Sorry to see your rot. I invested in a dehumidifier and had it running overnight a few weeks ago when the plants were at the stage yours are at.  Had to unscrew the greenhouse vent auto-openers as the desiccant dehumidifiers heat the air as part of the way they work so the dehumidifier kept the temperature at 18-22c when it was down to 14-15c outside.  If not disconnected the vents would have opened at about 20c releasing the warm dry air.  It kept the relative humidity to about 65% and I didn't get any rot. 

I note that the humidity has hit highs of 95% both in the greenhouse and in the outside air during the last week (which is why we naked apes who were attempting to thermoregulate by trying to evaporate sweat into already saturated air which was only 2 degrees cooler than we are felt so uncomfortable) so no amount of opening and blowing 95% humid air at the plants would guarantee to counteract that.  Only heating (to reduce the relative humidity even if the total amount of water in the air is the same) +/- dehumidifying the air could.  However, it was exceptional weather and ventilation and fans should help in more normal conditions. 

It re-emphasises why the most important thing you can do to prevent rot is to choose the right strain in the first place. Strains used to wet conditions, often from highland places, don’t mind damp... strains from dry places have little reason to evolve inbuilt tolerances... 

This Panama has been fine for mould all the time... no dehumidifiers, heaters or fans... but this rain is a killer (you can't de-humidify the rains away!) and the moulds have finally come to her. I knew they would.

Now I have a decision to make - how long do I hold on for? do I risk losing buds to chase the perfect harvest time? It is a big risk. There are so many ounces on there now - it could all be gone overnight and spread to other plants, too...

This is what growing is all about - making the decisions. As a farmer I can guarantee this - you can't fight nature - don't even try. I would never think to plant the wrong strains of fruit tree in my farm and then use machines to try to manage them until harvest. I plant the correct strains and let nature take its course. If I lose 50% of my fruit to the birds I plant twice as much as I need. There are times that I must use machines (tractors, mainly and sprayers) but I try to keep this to a minimum because it costs a lot of money.

Also, it is much easier to 'go large' when not using machines...some farmers cover their trees and irrigate the trees inside those long tunnels and they must provide bees in boxes and spray all the time. It works for them in that they guarantee a crop for the supermarkets but it limits the size of their farms as those tunnels and that way of growing is very expensive and 'costs the Earth' in terms of resource usage. I am not into that. For so many generations cannabis growers solved all their problems with careful selections. That is how landraces are formed. We can do exactly the same here in the UK if only we tried. Unfortunately almost every Uk grower grows indoors and few plants are selected over any generations to withstand our climate. Shame. Indoor climates are perfect for plants and so tolerances are never selected for - how could they be? The plants never need to tolerate anything!

Small greenhouses with fans and dehumidifiers work very well but bigger poly-carbonate set ups are possible and cheap as fuck to build. You can grow kilos of weed but selection is the vital thing.

Autoflowers can really help as it means that you can flower through June/July instead of September/October.

If you cross Autos with photoperiods you get really early flowering photoperiod plants. This may be the key and something I am going to experiment with over the next few seasons... If I can get a plant to start at the beginning of August it would be great! No carrying the plants into dark spaces or covering the greenhouses at night anymore.

Enjoy the Panamonster photos.. those tomato plants behind? I use seeds collected from the best performing plants from last season each year.. As for growing tomatoes near the plants - deep regret. I tell people not to every year and ended up doing that myself this season (they were supposed to be moved outdoors before the cannabis came and most were but a few remained) - thrips surely followed! Luckily nothing serious and easy to deal with. Damn to myself, though!

the lean-to itself is basically just a polycarbonate roof between two outbuildings. I didn't pay a penny for anything except the actual sheets of polycarbonate and built it on a sunny day in March.

the Panama has lovely smells of vanilla and lemon and sugar. It is not my favourite Panama - some others had wildly off the scale resin and penetrating aromas but this one has the yield and dense buds! 

My favourite Panama, with stunning resins and penetrating, refined aromas of incense and vanilla and beautiful towers of fat calyxs and a stunning flower:leaf ratio actually had no mould problems whatsoever - some girls have it all, apparently. I crossed her with the 'Perfect Thai Male' - I can't wait to try those seeds next year. 

Note that, despite her size, there is not a single under - or over fertilised leaf on that plant - or any of my plants. I don't use any chemical fertilisers (except on the tomatoes as I got given some free from my local growshop owner) and the plants are lush from start to finish. ORGANIC IS THE WAY. and as for yields with organic vs inorganic - well, take a look for yourself. Remember this is a pure sativa and not a modern commercial variety, too...

large.Panamonster1.jpglarge.Panamonster2.jpglarge.Panamonster3.jpglarge.Panamonster4.jpg

large.Panamonster5.jpglarge.Panamonster6.jpg

Edited by Grover Sativa
  • Like 9

As thanks to all thats commented and shared. Please see the below pics. I do really appreciate it!

Ive been ruthless with the trimming and i still think i have more rot. Ive taken couple of medium buds and hung them in the shed as test more then anything.

GH shot.

large.5f3fa1c658a43_IMG_20200821_110412-Copy.jpg

All but the bottom buds left which i will let run its course.

large.5f3fa1be4d9cd_IMG_20200821_110049-Copy.jpg

Few more medium buds left on the better plant, however think rot may have got these to.

So i will let this also sun its course. I really just want a couple of sun grown buds for some extra tasty joints :( 

Maybe i might get some off the lower down buds.

large.5f3fa1b78f79c_IMG_20200821_110043-Copy.jpg

This years outdoor attempt has been terrible, but i have learned. Air flow and genetics are key in my polycarb.

I will be back next year with handful of decent beans and floor standing fan!

• Like 7