Maxibright Daylight LED 660W Grow Light Are they any good?

Casey Jones

Just like the title says are these lights any good? Am I going to hit 1 GPW with these lights like HPS? Do the plants stretch less in flower? Is it just one type of bulb and how often do they need replacing? Is it a good investment? Any info is welcome. I'm really quite interested in these, but need more info before I think about buying.

On 07/07/2020 at 10:10 AM, Casey Jones said:

Just like the title says are these lights any good? Am I going to hit 1 GPW with these lights like HPS? Do the plants stretch less in flower? Is it just one type of bulb and how often do they need replacing? Is it a good investment? Any info is welcome. I'm really quite interested in these, but need more info before I think about buying.

Maybe check out the new Lumatek Zeus range? Some of the best around at the mo.

Just like the title says are these lights any good?

Yes

Am I going to hit 1 GPW with these lights like HPS?

If you're hitting 1 GPW with HPS there is a good chance you'll hit 1GPW and likely more with LED. 600w of LED outputs more light than 600w of sodium.

Do the plants stretch less in flower?

Its more available light to your plants, I can't say they'll stretch more or less but I'd expect more light = bigger plants. The whole thing with CMH a few years ago making plants stretch was literally just down to all the extra light that folk weren't used to when running equivalent wattage older technology so they'd over veg like they were growing under sodiums and end up with plants wrapped around the reflectors. Same applies for LEDs.

s it just one type of bulb and how often do they need replacing?

They don't run lamps, they run diodes its an led you donut lol the LEDs are rated for something stupid like 5 or 6 years, whether thats until light drop off or just how many hours they're rated for Im afraid I can't tell you.

Is it a good investment?

Yes, but any electrcity savings you might think you're getting will be mitigated elsewhere in your grow room making up for the environmental differences between running LED and HID. IE whilst 600w of LED is going to put out the same sort of heat as a 600w HPS, its a different kind of heat IE not all infrared and far red, theres less light lost as heat from reflection (Leds point straight down, and they're not refecting off a reflector) and the heat radiates UPWARDS from the back of the unit rather than downwards.

On 08/07/2020 at 10:30 AM, roostaboosta said:

Maybe check out the new Lumatek Zeus range? Some of the best around at the mo.

hmm... I think this statement is a little misleading, not because they aren't very good units but just because anything more than a quick glance at the Lumatek Zues page and the Maxibright LED page will show you that they're essentially the same system with the same diodes, same kind of look etc... the 200 and 300w units ARE exactly the same! The only thing I can see differen't between the Lumatek Zues and Maxibright 660w daylight is the former runs @ 600w with 2.7 umoles per watt ( 1620 ) and the latter runs at 660w @ 2.6 umoles per watt (1716)

So whilsts the Lumatek zues is a smidge more efficienct, you're getting more real usable light for the maxibright system albeit not that much, but in terms of real world results I'd expect over all better results from the maxi unit.

• Like 11

Early days but a massive thumbs up!

I would have got the 1000w lumatek Zeus but needed it now and that may be overkill. 

So thought 660w was enough. 

Lumatek looks a better design but the 6 bars on the 600 vs 8 on the 1000w like the maxi 660 was a bad point I thought. 

Edited by Budelaire
  • Like 4

I thinking of going all in, I use 315s and 600w else were but loving the light tbf, growth considering the half arsed set up, execution and commitment is reassuring.  Very compact growth like T5's at 10cm. :)

Edited by Budelaire
  • Like 4

@GSZZ I tested the Daylight and it does live up to the specs at 2.3umol/j, it actually measures a touch more but margin for error/test conditions ect... The lumatek PRO is 17% more efficient going off my test data and the claims. Very cool spectrum too on the maxi when you run it side by side with a zeus pro. Its on par with the zeus non PRO in both efficiency and spectrum.

If they were a bit cheaper than RRP or i could get away with selling them cheaper id get them in. Good lights and positive for all to have a known brand push an led.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Budelaire said:

Early days but a massive thumbs up!

I would have got the 1000w lumatek Zeus but needed it now and that may be overkill. 

So thought 660w was enough. 

Lumatek looks a better design but the 6 bars on the 600 vs 8 on the 1000w like the maxi 660 was a bad point I thought. 

Hello @Budelaire

Two new growers here, we are aiming this your way as we see you have a lot of experience in this field and also have the same lights.

We started off with the most efficient set up we could get following our research and ended up with two maxibright 660w LED lights for our 2.2x2x3m tent.

We have some young clones (6 Super Silver and 3 Lemon Sherbet) that we are growing in coco perlite 70/30. We have a lux meter that currently reads at approx 11KLux which we believe converts approx to 285 micromols per squaremeter per second PPFD but would appreciate a more accurate conversion if you have one. We are currently running our lights at 30% approx 30 inches from our plants as they were potted 4 days ago. Our main question for you is how high should we have our lights and at what intensity.

Thank you in advance and kind regards.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Holey10 said:

Hello @Budelaire

Our main question for you is how high should we have our lights and at what intensity.

Thank you in advance and kind regards.

I say as much as possible as soon as possible regards lights. But that's just me.  I've never looked into them enough mate.  I haven't put the intake fan or hydrometer in there etc. Truly Mr CBA.   So your asking the wrong guy their man.

I'm not the guy you think I am. lol

I used mine at 75% and now 100%. Height as remained consistent at about 14-16" off. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, diyleduk said:

@GSZZ I tested the Daylight and it does live up to the specs at 2.3umol/j, it actually measures a touch more but margin for error/test conditions ect... The lumatek PRO is 17% more efficient going off my test data and the claims. Very cool spectrum too on the maxi when you run it side by side with a zeus pro. Its on par with the zeus non PRO in both efficiency and spectrum.

If they were a bit cheaper than RRP or i could get away with selling them cheaper id get them in. Good lights and positive for all to have a known brand push an led.

Nice one dude thank you for clearing that up :yep:  I'm glad that lumatek haven't lazed out like maxi and have actually brought out a pro version to differentiate from the standard model that they have both had from china lol

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Budelaire said:

I say as much as possible as soon as possible regards lights. But that's just me.  I've never looked into them enough mate.  I haven't put the intake fan or hydrometer in there etc. Truly Mr CBA.   So your asking the wrong guy their man.

I'm not the guy you think I am. lol

I used mine at 75% and now 100%. Height as remained consistent at about 14-16" off. 

I think you're being a bit modest haha.

Okay thank you, would you recommend turning the light intensity up then? We were concerned about burning the plants as they are young (spent 2 weeks in the propagator, then we got them 4 days ago and potted them), so they are only a few inches tall each. Now I guess we are concerned we are not giving them enough light.

Thanks bud.

I put fairly large plants straight in.  I wouldn't run it below 50% personally. 

Edited by Budelaire
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Budelaire said:

I put fairly large plants straight in.  I wouldn't run it below 50% personally. 

Super, thanks for the help :)

• Like 1