So this is what I'm working with, W75cm, D40cm, H73cmWIP.

Oswrick

Hello to you all!

So I've been on the forum a little, got some good advice and now I'm sorting out my first grow box, it's a pretty bad looking shelf and cupboard unit that I found outside someone's house, perfect! :mellow:

large.20200622_182844_compress37.jpg

The space I have to work with is 75cm wide, 40cm deep and 73cm high. I've put a 4" exhaust fan in that will be connected to the carbon filter (will prob have that outside the box) and a 50w blurple LED light my friend gave me. Have also drilled a few holes for intake at the bottom left of the box.

large.20200622_182907_compress3.jpg

There isnt a massive amount of room and I dont think the light is going to do me very well but the budget for this is very low, nearly non existent :thumbdown:. I will look to upgrade the light in the future, hopefully I can get something out of this one, hopefully someone can give it to me strait on this one? 

At the moment I dont have a door and have been using a sheet of MDF I've painted white on one side to cover the hole and a thick blue blanket to stop as much light as I can. I'll get a door put on soon, have got some mylar to cover the inside with and a tube heater coming since this is in an outhouse. I've also got a few odds and ends coming, a humidity and temp sensor, a fan controller (cheap one with a dial), foam rubber strips and carbon foam (for lightproofing).

In the state it's in now I've had it running for a week, the plants dont seem to like it too much but I'm hoping with some TLC it should be ok. Will hopefully have time over the next few days to do that. 

I have a Green Poison XL auto in there, shes around 2 weeks old (from sprouting) and is a bit of a freak, could be inconsistent lighting, had her between the sun outside and an ikea desk lamp. 

large.20200622_183035_compress85.jpg

Also have a Chem Beyond Diesel (CBD) auto in there, shes around a week from sprouting and is much prettier. She was germinated and spent the first few days in the sun then into the box.

large.20200622_183039_compress36.jpg

Thanks for reading!  I'm after as much advice/critisism/information as you guys are willing to give, about all aspects of the post/box/grow. I'm desperate to learn as much as I possibly can. 

I'll update as i improve the box.

Happy growing! :hippy:

Oswrick

Edited by Oswrick
  • Like 3

If you're just doing auto's constant light would mean you don't have to worry too much about light leaks.

Good luck with your grow

Kc

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KC said:

If you're just doing auto's constant light would mean you don't have to worry too much about light leaks.

Good luck with your grow

Kc

That's not so bad then, it's mostly for discreetness that I want to light proof.

Thank you!

• Like 2

Get yourself a scope 150 - im running my scope 220 at 180 and have a similar space to you - ok about 20cm deeper and taller but 15cm less wide.

About to chop the current grow and expect about 200g from it.

large.sd-d-71-.jpg

• Like 23

1 hour ago, highgrower said:

Get yourself a scope 150 - im running my scope 220 at 180 and have a similar space to you - ok about 20cm deeper and taller but 15cm less wide.

large.sd-d-71-.jpg

And that's how it's done, love it.

Toke...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, highgrower said:

large.sd-d-71-.jpg

Wow that's quite the plant. Looks like a good light but unfortunately something that would have to wait a while. 

Thank you for the advice!

That's a really smart space @highgrower, is your scrog net fixed to the chassis or otherwise supported?. 

Seconded on the Scope recommendation too, their quality bits of kit, but I reckon you'll so alright with what you've got for the mo Os :yep:

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Ranec said:

That's a really smart space @highgrower, is your scrog net fixed to the chassis or otherwise supported?. 

Seconded on the Scope recommendation too, their quality bits of kit, but I reckon you'll so alright with what you've got for the mo Os :yep:

I hope so mate! 

1 hour ago, Ranec said:

There are a few screws in the sides of the drobe with a bit of wire support the net but once filed the plant pretty much takes over so i think the wires stop it from lifting up during stretch and then when the buds get heavy give the branches a hand when they press down on the net.

Edited by highgrower
  • Like 2

Right so I've finally very nearly finished my box!

First of all I put in the mylar, bit of a nightmare to work with, will definitely get the thicker stuff next time. I took the box apart and put it on panel by panel to try and keep it neat, used spray adhesive to attach it and that seemed to work pretty well. I also put aluminium tape around all the joins to lightproof it.

large.20200626_222613_compress15.jpg

After that I cut some chipboard to size and attached it with some flush hinges to make a door, added 2 slip bolts and some mylar and then some 5mm thick foam tape.

large.20200626_222618_compress39.jpg

large.20200628_220402_compress6.jpg

I plan to put some vinyl wrap over the front to pretty it up a bit but it will do for now. Since doing that I'd purchased a cheap humidity/temperature sensor and a tube heater, I'm managing to keep the temperature in there around 25C, I'm not sure if that's ideal or not, also not sure if I should be taking that lower in the night? The humidity sits around 45% which i think is pretty low? I'm not sure how to combat that in such a small space.

Anyway here are some pics of the finished ish project, I still need to add some carbon sheet to the intake and look at doing the same maybe with the exhaust. I'm now also thinking of exhausting out the top and have the carbon filter on top of the box behind some wood, but I'm not too sure yet. If I don't do that then I'll have it where it is and have the filter between the box and the freezer (ill have to move the box a bit) and  fashion some wood between them to hide it.

Anyway here is it closed with the light on (the bottom right corner doesn't let light out now).

large.20200626_222928_compress97.jpg

Here's it on the inside 

large.20200628_221028_compress46.jpg

The girls are doing much better in there now, ones still a freak but we will see how she turns out.

Any criticism or advice is massively appreciated!

That's me about done for this diary, I'll get a grow diary sorted as soon as I have time.

Thanks for reading!

Oswrick

• Like 6

Nice wee grow cab @Oswrick  but you need to increase the size of your passive vent, holes drilled into the side are simply not big enough to pull air through.

though if you do it right then not only will you have a sufficient size of vent bringing in fresh air, the plants will benefit from it & you wont have to worry about light leaks.

the easiest way to do it is to cut out a rectangle shape equivalent to 2 to 3 times the size of the exit ducting hole, its usually easier if you cut the back panel for this as the sides

are more load bearing, so your left with a rectangle hole, to make a light & bug blocker, you can get black carbon filter material for cooker hoods on ebay for a few quid,

to attach the material, you just use a staple gun if you've got one ? if not you can go for the cheaper option & buy strong double sided tape, cut it to go around the vent hole &

then cut the filter material to size. if you want added protection to stop light getting in then use an air vent cover & have the vents facing downwards, the covers cost a few quid too.

post-36349-0-05684300-1328782973_thumb.jpgpost-36349-0-33842000-1328782978_thumb.jpg

here's a few pics on how I made a light blocker on my veg cab, I cut the holes, fitted the filter material & staples it on then used vent covers inside my veg cab.

gallery_36349_2174_27227.jpg

gallery_36349_2174_1151.jpg

gallery_36349_3573_28005.jpg

• Like 10

Similar to my old set up mate, I second the bigger passive and start your lst early fella, I used to work with 90cm internal and I do admit it was a struggle. all the best!

• Like 1

@Joint hogger ok mate thank you for the advice, looks like I'll have to move the heater and pop a bigger vent in. I'm curious as to why though, not because I doubt you but because I like to learn. I'm still getting air come out of the exhaust, does it mean the fans being over worked?

@freewilly2121 yeah I'm going to start LST as soon as I can, just waiting on deliver of some 5L fabric pots for the CBD one to transfer into and then I can start straping her down. Not 100% how I'll go about it just yet so I need to read some more, also not sure how to handle the one that's grown funny but I'm sure I'll work it out. Thanks for the advice!

Thanks again for the help guys!

• Like 2