Dehumidifier Recommendations

Amsterdan2020

First question to ask oneself is "Compressor or dessicant type?" If you have issues below 20c with then dessicant is better. If you are having humidity issues above that usually  then compressor is better... in the main.  I'm dealing with condensation issues from often dipping below 20c, so I chose a dessicant. It raises the air temp a few degrees above ambient as well. About 700w on max.

Thinking aloud: Would it be helpful to blast the humidifier on foran hour at lights off by default  to absorb the increasing humidity as it cools down? I'm thinking during the mould-vulnerable late flowering it might mitigate the issue somewhat.

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 1

I've just got my self the meaco 12l low energy dehumidifier it's working alright but what I've found is when I set it to 45% and the unit was inside my tent. It'd take it down to where I wanted it at but then go in to sleep mode so the rh would rise again. Also as I had it inside my tent it was kicking out a fair bit of heat so when it was running it rasing the temps to 30c then it would shut of and drop back down to  26c. So it was causing all sorts of fluctuations. 

You can use it on a continuous mode for drying your clothes. So I've now ordered a wifi ink bird humidity controller so will just let that do all the controlling and leave it on the continuous setting.

I've currently got it sat out side my tent now until the ink bird arrives. Its still keeping the humidity down but not as good as being inside the tent. 

I'm using it in a 3x3 tent hope that helps 

16 minutes ago, Pufftastic said:

So I've now ordered a wifi ink bird humidity controller so will just let that do all the controlling and leave it on the continuous setting.

Does the unit not require being physically turned on, and placed into continuous mode? Or is it after you've set it, you can simply turn the socket on/off to achieve operation/stopping operation? 

Dehumidifiers are traditionally very limiting to us growers in that they generally require physically pushing the "on" button on the unit after its turned on at the wall which means stuff like Inkbirds or Enviro Controllers won't operate as intended/required. As far as I could find, only Ebac made a unit with any real oomph and capacity that was suitable for controllers, new that is. I found plenty of older, inefficient second hand models like Delonghis online... I was soon turned off that idea with the thought of blasting my crop with some strangers foul essence.

• Like 1

Yeah if you lose power or have a power cut. Once power is back on the dehumidifier will automatically turn back on to its desired setting. So it should work with a ink bird controller... well i hope haha 

Sorry to hijack, but it's related : is it better to have a big humidifier (25L) outside of the tent or a smaller one (12L) inside ? I'm hesitating between two Meaco models.

1 hour ago, purepotstill said:

Sorry to hijack, but it's related : is it better to have a big humidifier (25L) outside of the tent or a smaller one (12L) inside ? I'm hesitating between two Meaco models.

Cant really give you a proper answer as only just started using a 12l dehumidifier. I'll be running mine inside the tent once my ink bird arrives. Currently got it outside the tent it's working OK but not as good as it would be inside the tent. 

Hope that helps a little bit 

• Like 1

If you got the Meaco you wouldn't need the ink bird....And dehumidifiers work best out the tent ime

It's always better to have a bigger dehumidifier if you have the room....it does less work to maintain the status quo :punk:

• Like 2

16 hours ago, zen-ken said:

If you got the Meaco you wouldn't need the ink bird....And dehumidifiers work best out the tent ime

It's always better to have a bigger dehumidifier if you have the room....it does less work to maintain the status quo :punk:

Ok; I'll go with a big one. But if it's outside the tent, don't you want a kind of controller to set it, because the internal probe won't measure the RH inside the tent ? Not sure Meacos work with a controller though.

Not needed I've found personally, as long as I have the room somewhere between 40-47% the tent is always with a 39-50% providing you keep the lights off temp swing to only a few degrees, no need for inkbird's or ducting adding a fire risk or lowering the life of siad dehumidifier.

How big is your tent?

Note: I do also have a AC infinity 69 controller adjusting my extraction to also help maintain everything.

The one I have, less power draw and less noise, rated for a 5 bedroom house, works great in my 2 bed bungalow lol

https://www.meaco.com/products/meaco-20l-low-energy-dehumidifier-and-air-purifier#tab_b0a7a80d-a96f-4daa-abde-b725a23fafd2

Edited by Military Grade
  • Like 1

On 01/02/2023 at 10:06 PM, Pufftastic said:

So it should work with a ink bird controller.

Can damage the compressor when the controller is repeatedly turing it off while running, you should only really use a controller with a dessicant dehumidifiers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Military Grade said:

Can damage the compressor when the controller is repeatedly turing it off while running, you should only really use a controller with a dessicant dehumidifiers.

I have the Meaco DD8L Dessicant dehumidifier, works well, can be set at various levels, I think when power is cut and restarted the machine returns to a default setting, not what you programme before power loss.

Edited by Giggles

3 hours ago, Military Grade said:

Thanks for the heads up mate appreciate it! You've just saved me from messing up my new dehumidifier lol

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Military Grade said:

How big is your tent?

Note: I do also have a AC infinity 69 controller adjusting my extraction to also help maintain everything.

The one I have, less power draw and less noise, rated for a 5 bedroom house, works great in my 2 bed bungalow lol

https://www.meaco.com/products/meaco-20l-low-energy-dehumidifier-and-air-purifier#tab_b0a7a80d-a96f-4daa-abde-b725a23fafd2

My tent is 1x1x2m. Just ordered this big baby : https://www.meaco.com/products/meacodry-arete-one-25l-dehumidifier-and-air-purifier

• Like 1