Dehumidifier Recommendations

Amsterdan2020

Ok I blew all my budget on lights, medium, seed genetics and nutrients as I deemed those the most critical elements to any grow, so especially my first. However, I've just checked and my rh is currently 78% so I'm going to need a dehumidifier pronto. 

Any suggestions for a poor man's budget?

Is using the dehumidifier packs (like a gel in a plastic tub) a viable option to tide me over till payday when I can get something a little more substantial?

It's a 3x2ft closet I have a 4" extractor and filter in there, exhausting in to a second closet to hopefully remove the last of any odor.

Had loads over the years and now using a meaco 20L low energy at the moment not cheap at £250 but it works well. Cheaper ones like challenge don't seem to last much longer than 1 year and only work half aswell as the meaco. Get your self a Argos card and pay for it over a year that's the main reason a got the best I could do 

• Like 1

Argos card is a good idea. I got a mastercard but they don't allow sales to seed and hydroponic stores lol. £250 is still steep for me right now though, luckily my situation is better than I thought. I took the humidity reading via my grow cam. 78% turned out to be 48% and my girls are looking lush! Still made me realise that I haven't quite got a full set up yet.

• 2 years later...

@Smokey90 Are you still running that Meaco dehumidifier? How has it been over the past 2 and a half years?

I am looking at that one and the smaller Meaco 12 low energy, it is for use in a 1.5m x 1.5m x 2m tent

• Like 1

On 05/06/2020 at 4:31 PM, Amsterdan2020 said:

a mastercard but they don't allow sales to seed and hydroponic stores lol.

mate u wanna check ur card supplier, cos ive never had a problem ordering such things wit my Mastercard 

oh & hav a look at electriQ brand dehum's - ive got the CD20L. 'Tiz good. outside the tent with pipes

mystic

Edited by mysticriver

I know folks have said the Argos Challenge brand ones don't last, but I got a 10l one a while ago (at least a couple of years and probably more like 5), if I recall correctly it was a little over £100 and I've been running it every day when the weather is too cold to have my window open (basically from around October-March every year) and it does the job, taking humidity from the over 80% it gets to overnight to under 50% in a few hours. I'd assume the more expensive ones are more efficient, and probably cost less to run, but it's served me well so far :) (I didn't realise that the intake filter needed cleaning regularly so I was running it with the filter clogged with dust for a couple of years and it's still fine lol ).

E2A It's NOT stealth, though, by any stretch of the imagination, sounds like a jet engine powered by a diesel generator lol

E2A Sorry, didn't realise the thread was old :doh:

Edited by Boojum
  • Like 2

On 26/01/2023 at 11:49 AM, Boojum said:

E2A Sorry, didn't realise the thread was old :doh:

I resurrected the thread (I seem to be developing a knack for bringing back dead threads) asking about a specific dehumidifier so now it's not really that old. Your input has been helpful so thank you.

4 hours ago, Smokey90 said:

Working fine just be gentle with the wheels... also don't forget to empty it it fills up quick 6L

No continuous drain on it then?

another for the meaco :yep:  

we only got a 10 or 12 ltr? and it got our house humidity (main room) down to the low 60’s when it’s not raining lol  (normally in the 90’s)

has made a massive difference to our living standards 

• Like 1

@twigs it is a Meaco 12 litre I am looking at, if that does your house then I am sure it will be fine for a 1.5m 1.5m x 2m tent.

Thanks everyone for their input.

• Like 1