Kaydog's attempt at automation with raspberry pi

KayDog

Hi!

Thanks for stopping  by! :yep:

I'm self isolating from other parts of this forum :starwars:

and hopefully doing something less boring instead... :thumsup:

My plan is to use a Raspberry Pi to help me with my grow.

Sure, it's not necessary but we each have our peculiarities. :wassnnme:

Because it's a big project I'll be splitting it down into separate, numbered threads.:book:

As far as I can, I'll be using standard stuff and not the fly by night software and hardware. I will also be making use of low tech where I can.

I hope to be finished by Christmas.:king: 

Feel free to contribute!:gossip:

Kaydog

================================

#1a - RPi to a monitor

My automation project needs a monitor, preferably touch screen and all that fandanglygoogly stuff. Having gone down many costly dead ends, this worked for me:

Googling "how do I connect an android tablet to my raspberry pi", I followed these instructions-

Add a vnc connection:

install tightvncserver to rpi

install real vnc viewer for android by real vnc 

and so I was able to resurrect a very old, slow touch screen Samsung tablet that nobody wanted into a decent monitor.

Of course, I could just spend £60 on an official monitor - which likely will happen.

large.IMG_20200604_160952_copy_640x480.jpg

large.IMG_20200604_161005_copy_480x640.jpg

• Like 8

Hi Kaydog!!,

Nice work!

I look forward to seeing how you get on.

All the best,

Fry.

• Like 1

I'm attempting a Raspberry Pi project. First I want to set up a cam for a timelapse, with eventually using a Pi to control a fan controller and heater/dehumidifier.

I finished building a raspberry pi wireless sound server in my kitchen over lock down, its excellent.

Quite happy to collaborate, although I'm a bit shit at codeing. 

• Like 2

@Flamedodger

Welcome! 

It doesn't matter what skill level you are. 

If we can help - and if you can help - is all that matters. 

There are lots of Pi time-lapse tutorials - some will be easier than others. 

Catch up with you soon! 

29 minutes ago, KayDog said:

There are lots of Pi time-lapse tutorials - some will be easier than others. 

Yea I have been following a few. Problem being, I’ve rinsed either 2 rp zero w’s or 2 camera modules. I’m going to try on a different pi and camera now. Have a pi 4 and an a+ to give it a go on. The pi 4 is earmarked for the environmental control, so a bit loathed to use it for a camera set up.

Good job they aren’t expensive :smokin:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KayDog said:

Have you checked the board led for bricking? 

Yes the pi is not bricked, I can ssh to it. The camera has a red light on it, when I access it but gives a 'camera connection error'. I've trolled the pi forums and the error I get is indicative of hardware malfunction, hence why I am going to try and use another Pi and camera.

Wow! 

I'm so pleased for you! 

(and a little jealous!) 

I've got such a massive grin on my mug for you, bud!

Berrr-riliantly well done, mate! 

Don't cook this one! ;)

(top credits on your setup, btw! 

Mine is battle worn!) 

Edited by KayDog
  • Like 1

I'm a bit bash scripted and crontabbed out now...must be time for a doob :smokin:

I'm not sure how long it'll take to fill a 64gb sd card, so I'm going to look to see if I can automate all the pics being copied to my NAS. I can edit them into a proper timelapse video then and subtitle each weeks grow. A timelapse of a seedling sprouting would be cool also. 

Next project I'm going to use my pi4 for environment control. Lots of reading to do, I'll probably incorporate it into something like @Laphroaig's easy single variac build.

How's your project getting on?

• Like 3

Presently my time is split in 3 places each day. So until lockdown is over my hands are tied heavily as regards opportunity to do my project. 

However, I'm doing lots of prep and reading and I'll be updating my project diary as soon as possible. 

;)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

So I bought some cheap Chinese shite from Alibaba or whatever its called and after 2 whole days trying to get it to work, I have my environment dialled in on my phone :yep: I bought a Xiaomi Mi gateway and a Mi Temperature and Humidity Sensor, which cost about £20. 

I've ordered 2 mi plugs which will connect to the gateway and allow me to automate my tube heater. I'm a little reticent to use the other plug for the lights, I'll see how they go for the heater before I commit ;) The phone app has some great automations, I've set it up so my phone gets a message when my humidity has gone over 65% and temps below 18 degs or above 30 degs.  

This is supported in Home Assistant but I've not sussed how to integrate it yet, that's my next task.

large.IMG_0408.PNGlarge.IMG_0409.PNGlarge.IMG_0410.PNG

• Like 2

:yep: Nice one mate. 

Did you have the door open at 12:30?

The big temp/humidity drop. 

Looking good :)

4 minutes ago, Shumroom said:

:yep: Nice one mate. 

Did you have the door open at 12:30?

The big temp/humidity drop. 

Looking good :)

Haha, welll spotted that man, flush my tank every weekend....involves door being open lol

• Like 3