what am i doing wrong

Hopsarecannabistoo

ok i made cuttings off my LA confidential, i slit the base i used a root riot, i sprinkled rooting powder in the hole, and used the rooting gel, i cut the cutting under water so no oxygen got in, and kept in a dark place, everything went great.

then i tried exactly the same witht he wedding cake x frosty Gelato and they died, so i did four more, they died, so i did 2 more. and they arnt lookign too hot. what is going on?? i did it last year and it went fione too. why wont this clone?

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Hopsarecannabistoo said:

and kept in a dark place

this^^

you must have got lucky with the first ones

• Like 2

i meant not direct sun, not pitch black sorry i should have clarified. lif you get my meaning shade. sort of :) but inside.  should they get direct sun. the guide told me to kleep them out of direct sunluight for a day after  cloning. is that wrong? 

Edited by Hopsarecannabistoo
  • Like 1
37 minutes ago, Hopsarecannabistoo said:

the guide told me to kleep them out of direct sunluight for a day after

i wouldn't ever put clones in direct sunlight until they are well rooted

• Like 2

i sintend to, i just find it odd that this strain seems less happy to be cloned than the LA confidential 

Fresh cloning ingredients or same from last year having been stored away?  

My clones aren't looking great either, used year old clonex gel, guessing I should have purchased fresh...

Just another consideration.

• Like 1

ok attempt number 3 at the wedding cake x frosty gelato, im hoping cos its a photoperiod and wont be sort of finished till october time, it will give it chance to recover 

Do you keep checking on them? I find mine fail if I do, so I've gone with wrapping my propagator in clingfilm and not touching them for 2 weeks works best.

I don't bother with clonex or any sort of rooting powders, they seem to do fine without

• Like 6

Clonex + rooting powder seems like a bit of overkill, I kinda thought it was either/or (I've never used both together). Did you take the cuttings that worked from the same relative place on that plant as the ones that didn't ?

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Hopsarecannabistoo said:

i slit the base

no need, no need for all the other stuff either.

just a jiffy, a bit of aloe and a ziplock bag. 

• Like 3
13 hours ago, Boojum said:

Clonex + rooting powder seems like a bit of overkill, I kinda thought it was either/or (I've never used both together). Did you take the cuttings that worked from the same relative place on that plant as the ones that didn't ?

yes i did take them from the same relative place. ive always had a lot of success susing both on my chillis and tomatoes last year

i place them in my bedroom as its very humid always in my bedroom and always have a problem in there with condensation  and it seems to be good for cuttings of other types of plants in the past lol ive got three im trying now just put ffy bags over them hopefully this works

Edited by Hopsarecannabistoo
On 31/05/2020 at 5:31 PM, Hopsarecannabistoo said:

ok i made cuttings off my LA confidential, i slit the base i used a root riot, i sprinkled rooting powder in the hole, and used the rooting gel, i cut the cutting under water so no oxygen got in, and kept in a dark place, everything went great.

then i tried exactly the same witht he wedding cake x frosty Gelato and they died, so i did four more, they died, so i did 2 more. and they arnt lookign too hot. what is going on?? i did it last year and it went fione too. why wont this clone?

If you put too much rooting gel or powder on the base of your stem it can interfere with water uptake and cause failure, i find opening the propagator every day spraying and wiping out the lid refreshers the oxygen and gives them a fresh dilute feed at the same time. never fails for me like this.:lucky:

• Like 2

Do your cuttings in a clean wiped down propagator.. put them in the root riot water them and leave them under a lamp that's not too close they don't need much light at all... Too much light and they will try to photosynthesize causing them to go yellow....

Don't touch them for two weeks just leave it you can't lift the lid slightly for a sec but you can't afford any drop in humidity it's crucial that the conditions stay perfect!

Remember this on the next one fella all the best

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Whambud said:

Do your cuttings in a clean wiped down propagator.. put them in the root riot water them and leave them under a lamp that's not too close they don't need much light at all... Too much light and they will try to photosynthesize causing them to go yellow....

Don't touch them for two weeks just leave it you can't lift the lid slightly for a sec but you can't afford any drop in humidity it's crucial that the conditions stay perfect!

Remember this on the next one fella all the best

This,,,,,,,,,just cut and. Coatwith roottone it's a. Root starter place the  plant in a cleàr glàss 0f. Water not quite hàlf. Full. Place. The plants under a 40-60w. Floro,place in. Out. Of the way place.in a few weeks cheçk them. Some will take longer

Çheers.       

• Like 2