Lousy start

Amazonka

On 11/06/2020 at 1:54 PM, Amazonka said:

She is there in the center, growing among Agrimony (Agrimonia eupatoria) which is quite a good camouflage, at least before the final stretch

Nice bit of camouflage  ;)

Cool plant selection  :headbang:

All the best :bong:

Mark..

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

OK, it was a lousy start, but thing are going forward now that it's 2 months in to the growing season. Things are looking brighter.

I think the poor little Dinamed Kush CBD Auto that was less than 1cm at 4-weeks-old did not like the weather. Where I live we had a cool May. 2 days were above 15C and the rest of the days were below 13C. The night time temps were between 0C and 9C for the whole month.

Now in June the daily temps have been between 16C and 28C. This little girl who couldn't even reach 1 cm in 4 weeks, shot off and is now 28cm measured along the stem. She had a misfortune a few nights ago. Something went "boomp" in the night and she got super-cropped between the 1st and 2nd node. But she is tough and has recovered.

At 4-weeks-old:

large.DMKCA_day_29.jpg

At 8-weeks-old after getting that supercrop:

large.DKCA1_2_months.jpg.eb855ddfda147ce60c3e0c6b697312ac.jpg

The Dinamed Kush CBD Auto that I germinated at the end of May (Seedling at beginning of July) when the temperatures were higher is doing great. Here she is at 4-weeks-old and flowering:

large.DKCA2_1_month.jpg

Both have started flowering. The 4-week-old June planting started first. The 8-week-old May planting is just starting to show that the flowers are coming.

The two Dinamed CBD Autos are doing fine.

The 8-week-old, seeded in May, did better than her Kush sister in the cool month. She is flowering nicely:

large.DCA1_2_months.jpg

The 4-week-old, seeded in June, is starting to show flowering:

large.DCA2_1_month.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Disaster struck!. In the post above I showed a picture of that poor 8-weeks-old Dinamed Kush CBD Autoafter getting that super-crop. Well I am doing a guerrilla grow, so I suppose gorilla snails can be expected. I think that is what happened. We have some seriously heavy snails and one probably slithered up the stem, and at the "super-cropped" kink the stem snapped. On my routine morning visit, to catch snails and slugs, among other things, I found the poor girl with only the 1st node leaves left. The rest was lying on the ground, broken off. I tried to resuscitate her top part, but it withered away.

large.DKCA1-70-days.jpg

She is surrounded by egg shells and coffee grounds to deter snails, but these guys haven't read the websites that suggest this as snail repellent.

On the plus side she's still hanging in there.

Two Dinameds, a CBD Auto and a Kush CBD Auto are now 70 days into their grow. The 1st month, May, was pretty coolish and they didn't seem to do well. The CBD Auto did best, but the Kush CBD Auto seemed to suffer from the chilly weather. June has been closer to normal with nice warm days. Both started to grow faster, the Kush CBD Auto shot from 1 cm to 28 cm in June. The CBD Auto is doing great.

Two more Dinameds, same combination, poped up in the beginning of June and are doing great. The Dinamed CBD Auto seems to be trying to play catch-up with her older sister.

Two more popped up in the beginning of July and are now in their 2nd week and have a 2nd set of true leaves.

I forgot these two when I took the photo as they are in another part of our property.

I pulled these Dinameds out from their camouflaged grow areas for this comparison photo.

Top left Dinamed Kush CBD Auto 40-days-old. Top right Dinamed Kush CBD Auto 70-days-old.

Bottom left Dinamed CBD Auto 40-days-old. bottom right Dinamed CBD Auto 70-days-old.

large.Dinameds-together-100.jpg

I like the Dinamed Kush flower:

large.DKCA-flower-40-days.jpg

For a first grow this has been an educational journey. The cool May set me back, but not as much as marauding snails and slugs. They are cheeky, the Northern Light Auto was perfectly FIMed.

6 Dinamed, all germinated like clockwork, popping out of the ground 5 days after planting. Now I need to nurture my girls to mature buds. I won't be planting any more this year as I am into planing my autumn/winter crops, kale, siss chard, carrots, beets, etc.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/07/2020 at 3:58 PM, Amazonka said:

but not as much as marauding snails and slugs.

Are you using any deterrents to keep the slugs at bay?

I'd get a bit of protection in play mate ;)

Don't want to lose anything to the critters :yep:

Mark..

• Like 1

On 7/27/2020 at 0:59 PM, Dinafem-Mark said:

Are you using any deterrents to keep the slugs at bay?

I'd get a bit of protection in play mate ;)

Don't want to lose anything to the critters :yep:

The problem is my guerrilla grow methods. This is necessary because people do walk around on my property.

I have grown them in bushy areas where they can stick out and get sunshine, but still be camouflaged. I am planning a new method specifically against slugs.

I am going to plant a bushy mass around a 100 litre basin. The bottom of the basin will be covered by a layer of salt, with 4 brick inside, 2 for each pot. Then I will place my Dinamed Kush CBD Autos on the bricks.

That I think should keep slugs and snails at bay.

• Like 1

While I work on my 100 litre basin camouflaged in the bushes, I am doing a bit of a more labour intensive method.

I have spread diatomaceous earth on the surface in the pots. Then to the labour intensive part: every evening I place a bucket with small vent holes over each of the Dinameds and push the buckets firmly into the soil. In the morning I remove the buckets.

It does upset any morning sleep-ins though.

Edited by Amazonka
  • Like 1

On 02/08/2020 at 11:57 AM, Amazonka said:

I have spread diatomaceous earth on the surface in the pots. Then to the labour intensive part: every evening I place a bucket with small vent holes over each of the Dinameds and push the buckets firmly into the soil. In the morning I remove the buckets.

That'll definitely help mate :thumsup:

Mark..

• Like 2