Air stone cycling, all the time or on off?

sterling-archer

Is there any proven data to settle the argument either way of running a airstone 24/7 or periodically on off? 

I currently never have it off but wonder if it would do exactly the same job if just ran a spell before feeds

• Like 1

And any tips how to quieten down air pumps. I can always hear mine through the ceiling down stairs despite it having the little rubber feet...more rubber? 

20 minutes ago, sterling-archer said:

And any tips how to quieten down air pumps. I can always hear mine through the ceiling down stairs despite it having the little rubber feet...more rubber? 

i suspend mine from the ceiling with a piece of string 

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, Chall89 said:

i suspend mine from the ceiling with a piece of string 

I thought about hanging it off a tent opening string. Ill give it a go ey

1 minute ago, sterling-archer said:

I thought about hanging it off a tent opening string. Ill give it a go ey

suspending them is the only way really mine use to be well loud dont hear a thing now 

• Like 2

get some acoustic foam and put it on that, it will help the noise. you don't say what system it is fo the airstone question, but if its dwc or rdwc, they need to be on 24/7

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, badbillybob said:

get some acoustic foam and put it on that, it will help the noise. you don't say what system it is fo the airstone question, but if its dwc or rdwc, they need to be on 24/7

wilma

• Like 1

if its a normal Wilma, they don't have airstones or airpumps???

they just have a water pump don't they?

2 hours ago, sterling-archer said:

Hang it from the ceiling but use a bungee cord to do it....the longer the better

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, badbillybob said:

if its a normal Wilma, they don't have airstones or airpumps???

they just have a water pump don't they?

both

best is to have the air stone going 24/7 as its mixing your nutes and adds oxygen

the pump only goes on 15min 4x a day when lights on

• Like 2

1 hour ago, joba said:

@sterling-archer

wrap the air stone in thick elastic band -you will use some surface,hence i use 2 per tray

Is that to quieten it down? The stone us actually fine. Its the pump thats annoying lol

Like others have said ill give it a hang :)

And Thank You Once again for the help everyone. 

My Wilma is running one 5" puck air stone and i have a aquarium pump i had new lying about (160l tank size) to circulate on a timer every 15 minutes. 

Im running the same set up at the moment in a 25l brewers bucket until flower and watering to waste :)

My question is answered anyway once the larger res kicks in. 24/7 it is 

Edited by sterling-archer
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, sterling-archer said:

Is that to quieten it down? The stone us actually fine. Its the pump thats annoying lol

a little bit

i have mine on a buble wrap and on thick book (air stone pump)

just make sure it is higher -The air stone pump -than your tank in case it stops working so you don't get the water out 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, joba said:

a little bit

i have mine on a buble wrap and on thick book (air stone pump)

just make sure it is higher -The air stone pump -than your tank in case it stops working so you don't get the water out 

You could look at the band 2 ways i guess , was the base of the stone fully restricted until you elevated it a tad? Or was it still working? 

So maybe nothing lost or gained near enough with the band , or better a tad surface area wise lol

And that is a bloody good point i totally missed out Thank you