Making Hash straight after harvest

SkinJim

when you freeze your trim you get better quality and more yield compare to when you don't

but even if you don't you get good stuff

even if you do not use bags you will get decent smoke ,it will be all grades together but still it is green gold in my opinion

• Like 1

@SkinJim my apologies my correction was unclear. It's not that you asked for help with a problem that occurred during grow or harvest that you had questions about, because I do the very same. It's why most of us are here. But you seem to have started a grow with no intention of a rough harvest plan. Maybe it's the poor wording that led me to believe as such.

Dodgy is usually called out in these forums. 

• Like 1

I'm itchin to try Dry Ice and a fresh plant in my 220micron mixing bag 

Altho I think you're best off with a screen somewhere around 160 microns if you're gonna buy one special for the job   

Put the bag in a bucket > add fresh plant and dry ice > cover and shake for a few mins > collect everything that falls through the screen and place on white paper > cover and shake > collect and place next to the last collection 

Each collection will get progressively darker and less potent as the trichome content decreases and the amount of leaf dust increases so you can use the colour to judge when to stop.

• Like 2

On 01/05/2020 at 5:09 PM, SkinJim said:

I currently have a guerrilla grow going atm and I never gave much thought about how I am going to dry my product, since I can't dry it indoors I thought I could just do it outside but after some reading it turns out that I would lose quite a bit of product if not all of it to mould. Then someone suggested to me that I should just make some bubble hash or something. But I can't find anywhere on the net where people have used fresh bud for hash making (apart from charas), I've seen a few threads from various sites where people have used fresh trimmings to make hash with great results, though they all seem to say the same thing, "it's better quality but less quantity". And now I am down for quality over quantity any day. I plan on using bubble bags to make the hash.

Have any of you tried making hash from fresh flower?

and I don't mean fresh frozen, I mean literally fresh. And I don't want to sound rude or demanding but I don't need to hear/read your results on fresh frozen flower/trimmings on making hash as there is more than enough information on this website about that. I also am unable to freeze my flowers before turning it into hash.

I'd be grateful for any input.

Right, I apologise, this is a long post but the way I see it the thread is probably dead so here is my tuppence worth

Hi @SkinJim I’ve seen your diary so I see you have about 10 ish photo periods at a plot and u need a plan come harvest time. If all goes well you could end up with 10-40oz I’d say.

You can’t, or don’t, want to dry them in the normal way I.e. at home or inside anywhere, and I assume you can’t take them from the plot until the material is processed, so freezing it is out of the question.

I’ve been there so I hear you.

The idea of making hash at plot at harvest makes sense in your situation and is something I’ve tried to do a fair bit.... but you need to know you will be up against it. These are your options as I see it (if you can’t dry it first):

1. Take ice, buckets, bags, lots of water etc to plot and do a massive bubble hash run but man, that would be super stressful!.... and very sticky and messy and your bags would gunk up quick so you’ll need a large amount of 90+ strength alcohol to clean them plus trays etc. You are running multiple strains, therefore multiple finish times, so you’ll need to repeat this process 3-4 times. If you don’t take ice it will be do’able but much harder with less yield. You’ll almost certainly forget to take a crucial piece of kit. It will be a bit of a disaster most likely. Sorry.

2. Use dry ice, with your bubble bags, but for that volume it won’t be cheap to buy (easily £100 per go) and ordering it means you need to plan to ridiculous levels as the stuff halves in volume every 24 hrs from the moment it is made and you’ve still got the problem of multiple finish times of your strains so multiple runs. Also, fresh bud has lots of moisture in it so it will look like a scene from any 80s sci-fi film with all the dry ice effect rolling down the hill from your plot and across the nearest road etc so if the plot is sensitive it won’t work without the environment agency being called in!

3. Use iso or ethanol to ‘wash’ your plants on site then take it out of your plot in liquid form or let it evaporate off into hash oil. If you distill your own ethanol it is viable but you’ll need quite a bit of it and some decent kit. Isopropyl would probably be ok but you’d need a lot (c. 20ltr?) and, at room sort of temps, it will also strip away all of the chlorophyll and everything else it is attracted to so you’ll need to spend some serious time to refine your oil. Besides, oil is not hash.

If you are still with me LOL, then the only viable way IMO is to find a way to dry it where you have a significant amount of control of the air/environment and then follow traditional methods to make hash. I know it is annoying to hear but you’ll just need to find a way.

This season however I plan on trying to dry large quantities of guerrilla produce at plot via dry ice via the ‘freeze drying’ route so fresh weed will literally sit in dry ice, insulated, at plot for about three days. When you go back it is ‘freeze dried’ I.e. zero moisture .....and then, at site, separate the trichomes from the material using dry sift and also make QWET on site from the left over material as it will be 0% moisture so not as much solvent is needed (and it will be fucking cold so only the best stuff is extracted!)

If it works I’ll let you know :yep:

Edited by Oliffe
  • Like 2

@Oliffe

Freeze dried. That takes some knowledge right there. Nice! Probably better than putting a fan on them.

@Oliffe Thank you ever so much man, that's awesome information!! I am trying to find a place to dry but it ain't easy unfortunately. If I am unlucky enough to not to be able to dry in decent conditions I will try my very best to follow your advice. Thanks again, I really appreciate it, this outdoor grow has been a nice learning curve, next year will be much much better that I am sure of!

I've used fresh trim from buds and it's been perfectly fine. Obviously not optimal but the difference won't be much unless your a purist. 

• Like 1

If you freeze fresh material with dry ice and try to sift it then you're going to end up with piss poor return and as soon as the hash warms up it'll be a wet sticky mess.

My advice would be to chop all the buds off the plants, take home and put it in the freezer. Get some bubblebags and run it all from frozen or if you know someone who makes bho then the frozen buds can be processed into oil. 

• Like 3

Charas is the only way to make hash from fresh bud that I now of, if you don't want to dry or freeze or lug IPA/Butane/Dry Ice around... Your yield will be lower but this may be an option if you don't find a way to dry your crop or get it in a freezer to make bubble/ice hash etc.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello mate I think I mentioned to some1 that can't dry at home bubble basing the lot. Maybe you .

Get a cordless drill wooden spoon 2 buckets and bags of ice and a few 5 litre waters and bubble bags then tear buds up into the ice to freeze the trichome heads helps them agitate.

If you can't take the bud home and are looking for a solution to process the weed into hash then do it .

I use tights and a sieve last few years works ok bit of faf waiting for it to settle and syphoning this year is the year of the bubble bags. 

• 3 weeks later...

I thought plant terpenes were water soluble? so if you ice hashed it, you would get the potency, but not as much terp/flavinoid influence - as you supposedly get more flavs etc when fresh. Dry ice, would be a good option. I make fresh from frozen, only because when youre trimming theres so much to do, and cause most of the the terps etc are washed away in the water, i wait till I got it all toegther, and run it all one evening. You want to freeeze it anyway, for ice hash, help the trich heads snap off and gather, so fresh frozen, frozen fresh, not much diff...

Bho and qwiso would also be better options if youre on the terp/flav tip...imho anyway