Sick of thrips and fungus gnats? Breed Rove beetles!

FarmerPalmersNT

6 hours ago, catweazle1 said:

There's a parasitic fungus that kills thrips in five days. It is contained in this product: Botanigard 22 Wp. More info:

https://www.arbico-organics.com/product/botanigard-22wp-beauveria-bassiana-mycoinsecticide/pest-solver-guide-beetles

Yeah, I've used that. And a range of other fungal controls. There are quite a few that are pretty effective. You can get it quite a bit cheaper mind. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FarmerPalmersNT said:

Yeah, I've used that. And a range of other fungal controls. There are quite a few that are pretty effective. You can get it quite a bit cheaper mind. 

That was just the first commercial product that I found instructions and explanation for.

• Like 1

Cx tanlin works (for gnats) , with sticky papers..... just. I was infested but rarely see them now, I'm using it as a preventative in future if using random compost. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bingboing said:

Cx tanlin works (for gnats) , with sticky papers..... just. I was infested but rarely see them now, I'm using it as a preventative in future if using random compost. 

I've never had any luck with tanlin/nilnat. Literally never made the slightest dent at any concentration. I've also not used it in no till as not sure how it impacts beneficial bugs. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 24/05/2020 at 9:18 PM, Whambud said:

I've heard mosquito bits are meant to be good

Had mixed luck with these. 

@FarmerPalmersNT thank you very much for this thread mate. Very helpful. 

As an update on my own attemps:

I've had a bit more success with compost than coco/vermiculite. Seen greater numbers in compost and haven't had to mist the box as much. Think up to this point I have only misted it once.  

• Like 2

@FarmerPalmersNT thank you for this info. I just ordered my bugs to breed. Just a question where is the best place to keep you breeding tub in the mum room, i presume they like to be kept warm?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, -Entropy- said:

Great thread! do you find beetles all over your house and does your partner not mind the breeding project?

Nope. And nope. Its in my shed, not a place my missus would venture.... They do escape a bit but can't say I've seen them around much. Probably just find their way to the grow or outdoors. 

• Like 1

Just wanted to say a big thank you farmer. Really interesting information. I made two tubs last night and got some bettles on order. Will post some pics when they arrive. Planning on unleashing fury on my outdoor plants who have bad thrips. Got to be better than any spray and the cackling loudly whilst it happens sold it to me. All the best.

• Like 3