Sick of thrips and fungus gnats? Breed Rove beetles!

FarmerPalmersNT

Fantastic! Thanks.

I'm not sure i trust myself to go out and collect them as they do look like a lot of other things. Where online sells them? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ned Flanders said:

I suppose this works well outdoors too yeah? 

Just reintroducing the beetles more regularly? 

Probably until the really cold weather yeah. They do pretty well in the greenhouse (sometimes called greenhouse beetles). 

• Like 4

Just now, Nervous said:

Fantastic! Thanks.

I'm not sure i trust myself to go out and collect them as they do look like a lot of other things. Where online sells them? 

If you Google staphyline you'll get a few. They're about 40 quid but you only need buy once if you start breeding them.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Nervous said:

@FarmerPalmersNT Thanks, very much appreciated! 

My pleasure. Hope others find it useful. Just to add, when you release there's a few choices. You can add a working breeding tub to the grow room and experiment with a small hole in the box to release a steady amount. Personally I chuck half the tub on the bed and refill for the mum tent. You can also chuck half on a tray or something and let them disperse and chuck the rest (which I do for the main room). Up to you, obviously the substrate will have some mouldy chicken feed and beetle shit in it so a decent amendment if you need it! 

In the mum tent I put down  a few feeding bowls with chicken feed in to keep numbers up preventatively. Made out of rosin jar covers, or milk bottle lids. Sometimes you see a couple eating from it like little dogs! 

Edited by FarmerPalmersNT
  • Like 9

I'll probably leave them in their box to begin with, I'm sure they'll venture out when they smell thrips. Fee fi fo fuck, god damn thrips are out of luck! 

Just now, FarmerPalmersNT said:

chicken feed

Just had a gander online and can't see much but pellets - could I crush them up? Or can I just use a mix of grains and cereals?  

Also, I may have a couple of indoor plants for these too... might be a stupid question seeing as they're "rove" beetles but do they tend to wander? 

• Like 3

Dunno really, not seen any in the shed. They don't escape the boxes much. I'd say they would probably prefer remaining in the soil. 

Re food, Google layers mash. You'll get loads. 

• Like 3

Outdoors,nematodes work very well at eradicating these bugs.It takes 3 treatments a week apart from each other to kill the thrips but will wipe out fungus gnats with 1.

On 13/04/2020 at 10:32 AM, FarmerPalmersNT said:

Seen a few of these and been meaning to share for a while. Was going to include in my megabed thread but figured it'd be useful as a standalone. 

You can thank me later :D

Fuking clever dude :) I'll thank u now

Edited by Owderb
  • Like 1

I struggle with Thrips real bad man, will look into this for sure,really gets me down.

Do you have a good link for the live Beatles?

Fuck you thrips your all gonna die bitches!

Thanks @FarmerPalmersNT 

Edited by 2Fat2EatThat
  • Like 2