Winter is coming? Dinamem / DiyLedUk Outbuilding Grow

Jimmeh

25 minutes ago, badbillybob said:

it grew and grew, was a very nice smoke too.

@badbillybob Turning his hand to poetry lol

Hidden talent mate?

All the best  :bong:

Mark..

• Like 1

ive got loads of hidden talents mate, poetry being just the one, heres another.

There once was a swimmer named Mark,
Who one day encountered a shark,
He suggested a race,
But the fish beat his pace,
And the water around them went dark.

boo boom tish....im here all week

• Like 3

2 hours ago, badbillybob said:

There once was a swimmer named Mark,
Who one day encountered a shark,
He suggested a race,
But the fish beat his pace,
And the water around them went dark.

Love it ;)

Mark..

• Like 1

Oh wow we're almost catching up with real-time now... Good cos' I've got some advice to ask in a day or two but for now...

Day 30 - Sunstroke- 15/03/20

ENVIRO SETTINGS;

Light; Scope 275 dimmed to 100w at 12” | 250w HPS Dual Spec at 18” - 24/0

Temp; 23.5°c | measured @ soil

Extraction on med

Well, winter is turning out to be a bit less wintery than anticipated innit..?

However the build still has to cater for the possibility we’ll be up to our arse in the Beast from the East like we were 2yrs ago out of nowhere - I should be glad that my heating isn’t being put fully to the test!

Still it's enough to cause noticeable purpling on nearly all the leaf stems on the led tent plants, when the air temps occasionally drop to a chilly 15 degrees.

I don't fret though because the roots never fall below 21, I've never seen the inkbrids read lower even at the coolest times, which I guess can only mean that the heated pallets are good at their job.

That's good to know, even if they do burn quite a few watts just to ensure warm roots - they're probably massively over-specced for most indoor situations, but that over-speccing is to ensure they'll work when it's *really* cold, all night long in outdoor temps.

That's the bit that I'm a little bit chuffed about - in future grows I might refine them further, allowing me to deactivate certain tubes for instance in summer when I don't need such a large wattage.

Haha some more nice ideas there! :nerd:

Ok so seriously, in both my previous grows I never had to consider headroom because my plants were so squat, I assumed due to the blurple light or the 24/0 light schedule.

This suited me perfectly, and so it was not high on my list of priorities to increase the internal grow height.

Oh, how I am laughing at myself now. Yes, Heartily. Honest. :wallbash:

large.5e79437ca0e33_Day30-LargeTentOverview.jpg

The two tallest White Cheeses are being stretched & pulled by wire by my bumbling attempts at too-late training in order to try & take out some of their height in sideways growth.

This is working to a limited extent, but it is causing some clear stress. I’m seeing limp side stems all of a sudden & a little twisting of new growth in odd patterns.

Hopefully it will push through this, all being well I won’t have to do much to the main stems any more, but it is a pain working around the two sticks I brutally rammed in to use as canes.

large.5e79437d6fd02_Day30-LargeTentTops.jpg

I think I can see the start of some bleaching on those tops.

And the light is only on 135w at 18!!”. :shock:

Perhaps too much light too close is an additional reason for the clearly stressed & lifeless look of the plants...?

large.5e794380d7feb_Day30-WattMeter.jpg

So I banged it back down to 100w and took the light to the highest position, which currently gives me about 18" clearance.

I need to back off the light intensity long enough to see new growth come through green and unaffected before I can increase the power again to find the sweet spot…I think….

I daren’t imagine what it would do to them at the full 275w... :ouch:

We're not into high flower or anything yet so I think the plant will be to give it about a week to 10 days at 100w, and then slowly bring the power up. But to what? If 130w was bleaching, is 150w too high? We'll have to see!

large.5e794374a7fbf_Day30-Closeup.jpg

Feeding also began today, 0.5ml (ish) p/L of fishmix plus a healthy dose of seaweed.

My fishmix stays horribly thick & gloopy even when I shake it like a fucking vibrator for ages, it’s impossible to use a syringe - it's like that PVA glue back in your primary school days, where the kids never closed the bottle properly and the dried glue was permanently clogged around the opening... Is this normal??

A little bit of inexplicable leaf clawing visible from the small tent. Both plants display it which is interesting.

In this pic the pots are dry as sticks so i’m fairly sure it’s not over-watering. Also a strict wet/dry cycle measured by weight is in place.

large.5e7943803f3c3_Day30-SmallTentOverview.jpg

I’ve been sure to water to runoff each time I water - I suspect I didn’t always help myself in previous grows and occasionally for an easy life administering the grow, stopped watering before significant runoff occurred.

I think this maaaay have developed a salt buildup before and so I’ve been careful to avoid that possibility this time around.

Could this clawing possibly be environmentally caused? Or is clawing always going to be a sure-fire sign of over-watering/poor watering?

When we come back I'm hoping we can up the light levels a bit and see about getting some of those side branches on the small tent trained down.

Edited by Jimmeh
  • Like 2

Day 38 - Anti-Socially Distant- 20/03/20

ENVIRO SETTINGS;

Light; Scope 275 dimmed to 120w at 12” | 250w HPS Dual Spec at 12” - 24/0

Extraction on med

Well fuck me. Winter is officially over, and quite frankly I feel a bit let down.

I was kitted out for massive great snowdrifts like on Frozen, but instead it has been pretty mild and every bugger’s hiding indoors from the killer flu. lol

Wish I hadn’t chosen a bloody GoT theme now either, I could have gone with the Andromeda Strain, or 28 days later - yeah that would have been pretty cool. 

Anyway - my Cheesy ladies aren’t following the social distancing guidelines, no siree. It’s like fuck the police in there because they’re all over each other!

Anyway I’ll start with the CBD Kush. This one remaining Kush doesn’t get mentioned often by itself. They’ve been there a few days obviously but today I noticed for the first time the spiky explosion-shaped flowers that I associate with them.

I do love how these developed last time - I assume it’s the Kush portion of the genetics manifesting here.

A funny thing I have noticed on my previous two grows - the CBD only plants always seemed to be more resilient to my abuse than high tch strains. Has anyone else ever noticed this?

Or perhaps I’m just over-thinking a coincidence.

large.5e7ddc141f978_Day38-KushSpikyFlower.jpg

Also in the small HPS tent, the Cheese XXL isn’t looking as happy as I’d like today. :(

I don’t know if it’s stress brought on by the training, but the lower branches are just a tiny bit too limp, a little bit more often than I’m entirely happy about.

large.5e7ddc170a1ea_Day38-SadCheese.jpg

Speaking of training, as I mentioned I put a few holes into the pot and used them to tie down some of the side branches.

You can see what I’m going for here - I was expecting bushy (simply because my plants have always been bushy), and when it turned lanky & tall I decided to try & scaffold-out the sides as much as possible.

Was it @badbillybob who pointed this out in an earlier comment?

We’re also getting pretty close to the HPS bulb in this tent.

Hmm, clearly my back of a fagpacket planning missed this crucial detail!

large.5e7ddc17c83c7_Day38-SmlTentHeadroom.jpg

Haha i think we’ll manage, I see growpics where plants are growing literally around bulbs, so I’m assuming as rule of thumb, if the heat isn’t sufficient to burn (and I can have my hand a centimeter from this 250hps and it doesn’t feel too hot) then I should be ok?

I don’t expect another 12” stretch from them at any rate, perhaps 2 or 3 at the most if they’re feeling frisky.

As for the White Cheese trio in the large tent with the Scop, I’m pretty sure they’re not following the government mandated anti-social distancing rules…

large.5e7ddc15357bc_Day38-LargeTentOverview.jpg

This week I put the light back up, I increased the power to 120w and we're at a shade under 12" headroom.#I will try and tidy-up the bending this week to bring the tops off all plants in-line.

I wasn't happy about having to back-off the scope power so much, hell, down to 100w that's laughable - right!? :unsure:

I'm acutely aware the dim light encourages stretch and if I back off too much all I'll do is use-up my headroom for when I can re-apply the power.

There is a thread down in the DIYLEDUK subforum about scope power and keeping it in-check, well worth a read imo.

The pre-flowers on these plants aren’t quite as visually striking as the Kush are they?

But they’re definitely there, I’ll enjoy watching them come on. :george:

large.5e7ddc160ff45_Day38-LargeTentTops.jpg

Edited by Jimmeh
  • Like 2

Day 42 - LOCKED UP - 27/03/20

ENVIRO SETTINGS;

Light; Scope 275 dimmed to 120w at 10” | 250w HPS Dual Spec at 10” - 24/0

Extraction on med

Wow so interesting times. I’m working from home, which means hammering through my one remaining jar much quicker than I’d banked on… Zoiks! :o

Well I’ve also got the CBD Kush jar from last grow - that’s super-stinky when i smoke it :D

We're basically up to real-time now - Being stuck at home has left me plenty of time to tend to the girls, and I think I'm gonna stat another grow as soon as this one is finished.

I was originally planning a bit of furlough (haha) time to rejig the setup but I want to make hay while the sun shines, and in this case that means while everyone is hiding indoors.

Anyway, back on that wonderful CBD Kush (thanks again mark!) c’mon, look at that. Sorry for the very poor photos today.

large.5e7f5345c1ee7_Day42-KushFlowers.jpg

large.5e7f53469f3e5_Day42-KushWideshot.jpg

The Cheese XXL in the same tent is definitely developing just as @badbillybob suggested it would - You can just tell that if it had a bigger pot this thing would  blast up through the tent if you let it.

large.5e7f5344ea691_Day42-CheeseXXLWideShot.jpg

See what I mean? The side stems that are so obviously widened-out by my horrible training attempts were clearly shooting straight up parallel with the main stem. This was causing all the growth from the sides to be in the shade of the main cluster up-top.

As it is, it is clearly outpacing the Kush, which has put its energy into bushing out which I expected from last time, and since this has been the general behaviour of all my plants to date so this cheese is a bit of an outlier.

If I’d let them fully bush and trained them out two of those busky-Kushy would likely have totally squeezed the cheese (lol sounds dirty)

large.5e7f5344577cb_Day42-CheeseXXLTraining.jpg

I may see if I can’t bend this Cheese XXL a little too, if the main stem is not too hard by now... just to lay that top growth a little closer towards the horizontal to allow more light to access the whole length.

large.5e7f53437634f_Day42-CheeseXXLFlowers.jpg

The clusters are a little flattened at this stage, looks like they’ve been sat on ha lol

This is from one of the side stems, the structure appears to be two strong side branches, two weak side branches, and then four intermediary branches coming out of the armpits, then the large cluster up-top.

On the Kush you can clearly see in this area where the large central cola is fleshing-out but I don't know what form these will look in the end.

Next door in the large tent (are we even allowed to go next door anyway?? Wow we really *are* all criminals here.. lol) anyway next door, I’ve been busy with the wire, bending all the main stems back into position to try & bring the tops level to make adjusting the light more simple as we go on.

large.5e7f534b7c152_Day42-LargeTentOverview.jpg

That is of course assuming the stretch is over, which it almost certainly isn’t.

large.5e7f534ca25c3_Day42-LargeTentTops.jpg

The flowers on these are just beginning to show too, I’m not sure if we officially continue to call them preflowers at this stage but whatever, you know what I mean :D

large.5e7f5349ab2d2_Day42-LargeTentFlowers.jpg

Noting a bit of deficiency here, look.

This isn’t an isolated leaf, but since there’s not many you lose them in the wider shots, but they're there.

large.5e7f534898516_Day42-LargeTentDeficiency.jpg

I think we’re just a bit hungry. I’ve not been feeding long, only for two or three feeds now and they've just done a big stretch, using a lot of reserves.

Likely see some cal/mag issues too if I don’t add a bit of supplemental to the feed. I had been planning every-other feed, but reading what I have about Toke's grow requiring supplemental calmag under these powerful white LEDs makes me wonder if I might be wiser upping that to a mill each feed.

Anyway nothing to worry about, noticing these leaves isn't a panic, just noting now’s the time to get on it.

Next updates now will come in real time from this point on. :D
Peace out bros & brolettes :wub:

Edited by Jimmeh
  • Like 4

looking good so far man, you must be pleased?

heres a chedda xxl I did, it got a bit out of hand eh?

large.5e7f65142a5f3_chedxxl.jpg

your 2nd last pic? can you get a pic of them under natural light, it looks like it might be needing some help, but hard to tell from the pic.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, badbillybob said:

looking good so far man, you must be pleased?

Pleased like you wouldn't believe mate. Honestly, it cheers me right up to look in there.

This is by far the best grow I've done out of the three, and it's you, and this place and the people here have done that for me.

Personally I'd given up on buying weed - I couldn't be doing with dealers any more years ago so you can guyss what this place has given back to me - haha and I'll be double-glad come chop day if we're all still locked-down - I can think of worse ways to spend summer... ;)

heres a chedda xxl I did, it got a bit out of hand eh?

large.5e7f65142a5f3_chedxxl.jpg

That photo looks like the Cheddar's going to crawl out of it's pot & go after small animals.. lol

Beastly thing, bloody triffid that...

your 2nd last pic? can you get a pic of them under natural light, it looks like it might be needing some help, but hard to tell from the pic.

As for photos under natural light - sure; I can do better, I can do all three of the White Cheeses under natural light.

Sorry it's quite overcast.

Are you seeing anything other than a bit hungry? Appreciate you taking a look mate.

White Cheese #1

large.5e7f6c36cbfdf_DiagnosticA1.jpglarge.5e7f6c384daba_DiagnosticA2.jpg

White Cheese #2

large.5e7f6c397763a_DiagnosticB1.jpglarge.5e7f6c3ac95c5_DiagnosticB2.jpg

White Cheese #3

large.5e7f6c3c4ffa4_DiagnosticC1.jpglarge.5e7f6c3d61fc1_DiagnosticC2.jpg

Edited by Jimmeh
  • Like 2

right, lets get them back on track. the last pic, this plant looks a bit underfed.

What nutes have you got, and how often are you feeding them? they are in soil yeah?

let me know

a)what you have been feeding them so far, and

b) what have you got in your nutrient line up.

c) how often are you feeding them 

I will try and help out. they do look like they are lacking in magnesium, which seems to ba an issue with using LEds for some reason, but if you let us know the crack with feeds etc, I will be better able to avise. 

• Like 3

right, lets get them back on track. the last pic, this plant looks a bit underfed.

What nutes have you got, and how often are you feeding them? they are in soil yeah?

let me know

a)what you have been feeding them so far, and

b) what have you got in your nutrient line up.

c) how often are you feeding them 

I will try and help out. they do look like they are lacking in magnesium, which seems to ba an issue with using LEds for some reason, but if you let us know the crack with feeds etc, I will be better able to avise. 

Thanks mate - I've read enough of these diagnoses to know that you needed that info - daft of me lol

Growing in soil - Clover Multipurpose. 7 litre pots.

A) They've been fed;

* Biobizz Fishmix for grow nutes, switched this week to Biobizz Grow (simply because my fishmix is clarted-up and hard to dispense).

* Biobizz Bloom for Bloom nutes, of course I will be continuing the Grow alongside Bloom.

* Calmag

B) I have available to me; BioGrow, BioBloom, Fishmix (at a push), Calmag, Epsom Salts (a bit old but you can still taste it when you open the tub), liquid seaweed

C) I can answer this very accurately, as I keep this on google drive so I can keep a track for the diary...

large.5e7f8f7bc9e27_DiagnosticCalendar.jpg

So that breaks down to;

Day 25; First calmag 1ml/L

Day 29; First feed 0.5ml Fishmix, Camlmag 0.5ml

Day 33; 0.5ml Fishmix, 0.5ml Bloom

Day 37; 0.5ml Fishmix, 0.5ml Bloom

Day 41; 0.5ml Calmag, 1ml Fishmix, 1ml Bloom

The plan was to see this week out at 1ml/L of each, and then increase to 2ml/L next week.

The the week after that, to see-saw away from Grow towards Bloom, g1.5/b2.5, b1/b3, and then to hold that for the duration.

Obviously those figures are example, depending on if the plant was showing burn I'd obviously back off the amounts.

I've been keeping a close eye for burned tips this week as we went up to 1ml of feed.

I won't rattle on any further, what do you think?

Edited by Jimmeh
  • Like 2

Im struggling to read your spreadsheet. But going off your break down......

Well, to be honest ive never used the fishmix, only grow and bloom, but from what ive read, the fish mix is pretty potent stuff.

I think you should up the bloom. Because I never used fish mix, I would be giving them 1 ml/litre of grow, and   2-2.5 ml per litre of bloom just now with 0.5 ml pre litre of cal mag.  I would be moving this up to 1ml grow and 2.5 /3ml bloom when they start packing it on, .

Feed them till you get runoff, and go a good wet/dry cycle. only water them when the pots are light. 

Hopefully someone who does use the fishmix can chip in with a recommendation on it, but obviously if you were to use the fishmix as well, you would want to reduce the bloom by a bit too to prevent burning them . if they do burn at the tips, or show signage of over feeding, you can give them a plain  watering.

Hope this helps. Its been a while since I did plants in soil.

• Like 3

Thanks @badbillybob, it really does help mate. :yep:

I mean because I was intentionally running a bit lean on nutes as I found myself being heavy handed last time - I was semi-assuming a bit of underfeed would hurt less than over feed. I always struggle a little, tell the truth when you get to that point where the pot nutes are running short and you need to add them... I always come in too late and/or too low - always have! lol 

I wasn't intentionally starving them, don't get me wrong of course not, but I was trying to be as tight with it as possible, so your comments confirm to me I'd dipped a bit too low.

I'll bring them up to around that level, obviously depending on how they react, over a enough time hopefully to avoid any nute burn.

Ps; I don't know about anyone else but I just dose fishmix exactly the same as grow, I know they behave slightly differently but I treat them the same when it comes to the amounts I use.

Edited by Jimmeh
  • Like 3

On 28/03/2020 at 6:39 PM, badbillybob said:

Im struggling to read your spreadsheet. But going off your break down......

Well, to be honest ive never used the fishmix, only grow and bloom, but from what ive read, the fish mix is pretty potent stuff.

I think you should up the bloom. Because I never used fish mix, I would be giving them 1 ml/litre of grow, and   2-2.5 ml per litre of bloom just now with 0.5 ml pre litre of cal mag.  I would be moving this up to 1ml grow and 2.5 /3ml bloom when they start packing it on, .

Feed them till you get runoff, and go a good wet/dry cycle. only water them when the pots are light. 

Hopefully someone who does use the fishmix can chip in with a recommendation on it, but obviously if you were to use the fishmix as well, you would want to reduce the bloom by a bit too to prevent burning them . if they do burn at the tips, or show signage of over feeding, you can give them a plain  watering.

Hope this helps. Its been a while since I did plants in soil.

Thanks for your input and assistance mate :yep:

One thing with UK420 compared to other platforms. The members actually help each other ;)

@Jimmeh some nice colours starting to pop through from our Dinamed cbd Kush auto  ;)

Cheese xxl auto is looking a beast of a plant also ;)

If you are increasing feed. Cheese will be fine and will love that extra boost, but be careful with pure cbd strains as they tend to be on the "less is more" diet :yep:

Until next time :cheers:

Mark..

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Dinafem-Mark said:

27 minutes ago, Dinafem-Mark said:

@Jimmeh

If you are increasing feed. Cheese will be fine and will love that extra boost, but be careful with pure cbd strains as they tend to be on the "less is more" diet :yep:

Hey Mark, good to see you dropping by mate!

Agreed, proper hats off to Bob and this place in general. 

Good shout on the kush - I think it's possible the CBD strains have behaved so well for me precisely because of this; I'm not always the sharpest at when to come in with the nutes (13 days from final pot-up this grow) and this light feeding tendency may explain why they're always the least trouble lol

Just a half-baked theory anyway...

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Jimmeh said:

Just a half-baked theory anyway...

Sometimes those are the best theorys ;)

Mark..