Double veg floorspace using CFLs, DIY shelf.

Butterfingerz

On 26/04/2020 at 3:51 AM, Butterfingerz said:

I've been further researching options and found a business that supplies scaffolding parts to consumers and other businesses online, they are also open during the COVID-19 pandemonium.

I've designed a table, with a top using 2.4m scaffold boards, cut in half. While the whole table consists of these parts in the image of which I'll draw up in sketch form what it should look like structurally in the end.

It's quite a price, but would last utter years and easily handle the load as well, take a look at the parts list but I will say the delivery charge for my safe delivery houses locations was roughly the same give or take £9 and costing a total of £32 roughly.

large.ScaffoldingFrame.jpg

Talk about a means to an end but it's still an in progress project with plenty of options for the next five weeks and counting now that I've pruned again.

P.S: The wall plate/flanges would be used as feet..

Bloody hell mate, what are you going to put on that shelf? that could hold a couple of grown men lol

Are you over engineering it just a little?

If you are comfortable using what you specced, then i think that shelf will outlast us all lol

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2020 at 4:54 AM, KayDog said:

I emailed secret Jardin over 2 weeks ago and no response. Whatevers else is going on, I hope they're safe and the business survives. 

Yep, I've emailed and called BudBox too and a number of there resellers and although ive directly spoken to resellers I've heard nothing much back from anyone apart from how rare of late to find utility shelves..

I know exactly what you mean buddy :)

• Like 1

I think I may have found a possible minimal solution and it involves:

Pack of 4x 4way 16mm pole connectors costing £19.99

4x 16mm x 1190mm mild steel pipe with a 2mm wall £40.80

1x 4ftx8ft welded mesh (2inx2in) £26.43

All delivered total £87.22

And I'll have a spare piece of mesh, center supports I'll borrow from my actual tent in use because it has three.

*Other possible materials are "rebar" its solid mild steel used within concrete reinforcement, an entire frame could be replaced with this material but you'd have weak corner supports unless they are already metal formed, unlike mine.

In the future or after this veg training run, I'm going to change the entire frame in favour of 2020 aluminium T-slot extrusion lengths and make this a very stable platform that's both minimal, elegant and strong.

Edited by Butterfingerz
  • Like 1

On 4/28/2020 at 8:45 AM, Subutai said:

Bloody hell mate, what are you going to put on that shelf? that could hold a couple of grown men lol

Are you over engineering it just a little?

If you are comfortable using what you specced, then i think that shelf will outlast us all lol

I'm trying to find a solution that best fits like everyone else, cheapest price, minimal parts, high strength, smallest use of space.. At present it's the 4x4way plastic corner joints, 4 poles, and some welded mesh.

Best over engineered and most costly and strongest is the scaffolding type frame.

Most elegant, minimal space use and ease along with middle ground cost is the 2020 aluminium t-slot.

While as above the cheapest, gets you going, easy to obtain is the plastic corners, poles or rebar and some welded mesh :)

I'm going with the plastic corners, mild steel hollow pipe or rebar along with welded mesh but looking at longer life span and safer more professional looking it's going to be the 2020 aluminium t-slot idea.

I loved the scaffolding one, I even found an expandable frame from another groom maker and it can handle well over 120kg while being made from aluminium, but they dont sell the frames individually but just as an entire groom setup.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 4/4/2020 at 7:14 PM, Subutai said:

@Butterfingerz i got around to doing my area.

bear in mind i only used what i had lying about in my shed and what i could 'borrow' from work.

the tent is only 80x80x160cm

i still need to waterproof the shelf, but i will get around to it soon.

its basic but works

top layer is 4 x 15w led bulbs and a 60w chinese led that i havent used yet, as i am worried it might be too close.

its approx 60cm height.

bottom is 4 x Philiphs Master PL-L 55w 840 bulbs,  its approx 1m high

large.20200404_184624.jpg

Just came across this thread, and had to post a "i'm seriously impressed with your skills" comment!  That is a feckin amazing set up.  Well done.   What size are those fans and make mate?     How did it turn out in the end?

Edited by pepe16
last line added
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, pepe16 said:

Just came across this thread, and had to post a "i'm seriously impressed with your skills" comment!  That is a feckin amazing set up.  Well done.   What size are those fans and make mate?     How did it turn out in the end?

Thx mate

Literally took it down last week as i got access to a larger veg area (different room).

It worked well for me for my needs, i did find the top led's were good enough for vegging, but were slow to gain height compared to the 54w PLL  lights below,

maybe an extra week or 2 veg time, but i allowed for this.

Also it was very easy to overfill the bottom area.

Fans- just some cheapo fans i picked up from car boot sales

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Subutai said:

Thx mate

Literally took it down last week as i got access to a larger veg area (different room).

It worked well for me for my needs, i did find the top led's were good enough for vegging, but were slow to gain height compared to the 54w PLL  lights below,

maybe an extra week or 2 veg time, but i allowed for this.

Also it was very easy to overfill the bottom area.

Fans- just some cheapo fans i picked up from car boot sales

Thank you.  Just wish I had your diy skills, as theres lots I'd like to do.   Was it yours or the other gent posting as well,  that mentioned sourcing aluminium or stainless 16mm pipe.  I need another two 1m poles for a prop tent I want to turn on its side.  Its a 1m x 0.5m2 black orchid tent-  meant to stand vertical, but i want to lay it horizontal to use as a veg/cloning tent, and it only comes with the 0.5m crossbars, if you see what I mean.  Ive searched everywhere for extra support poles, but buggered if I can find any.  I'd have to come up wit  some sort of bodge to attach it to the frame.  If you've any thoughts, grateful to hear them mate.  Thanx again.

9 hours ago, pepe16 said:

Thank you.  Just wish I had your diy skills, as theres lots I'd like to do.   Was it yours or the other gent posting as well,  that mentioned sourcing aluminium or stainless 16mm pipe.  I need another two 1m poles for a prop tent I want to turn on its side.  Its a 1m x 0.5m2 black orchid tent-  meant to stand vertical, but i want to lay it horizontal to use as a veg/cloning tent, and it only comes with the 0.5m crossbars, if you see what I mean.  Ive searched everywhere for extra support poles, but buggered if I can find any.  I'd have to come up wit  some sort of bodge to attach it to the frame.  If you've any thoughts, grateful to hear them mate.  Thanx again.

Try tent awning poles, iirc you can get corner joints as well

• Like 1