Double veg floorspace using CFLs, DIY shelf.

Butterfingerz

Long story short I have an 1.2m2 grow tent and it'll be used for phase two vegging for a few weeks, month prior to bloom. At the very most in height from bottom of pot to final vegging stage is 80cm.

So within the 2m tall veg tent I'm considering DIY building a half way shelf using 38mm x 38mm and 38mm x 75mm and then covered in a 12mm sheet wood, using four 125w 6500kelvin CFL per floor this enables me to double my veg pot floor space and leaving me 8in/200mm for bulb space and such per floor.

*My extraction can still either be inside or outside of the tent as an option too.

I was wondering if anyone else uses a method like this?

-Best if I update as I go along :)

following this, i was thinking of doing something similar.

I have some 50mm x 50mm off cuts lying around, as these will be vertical i think it will be more than enough to carry the weight of the top layer once i make the frame and add the ply wood top/floor

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've mistakenly created two threads of the same nature, this is the one I lost and I do sincerely apologise about the matter. It's more of a case of myself finding my way around the forum of which I kind of should have picked up by now as have been here a good few weeks.

I have developments to mention even as of today but will speak with one of the admins about either combining the now two threads.

Very sorry about this Subutai and others, totally my fault!

-Bare with me while I speak to the admins over the next 12-24hours if they have time(no rush) but tomorrow, I'll be doing a little shopping and should have some better then expected results!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Now that I've taken delivery of a few standard barn reflectors and that the 125w Enviro bulbs fit in, very snugly mind you as you can see below and without reflector modification I can now fo ahead an order a total of eight, four for the lower section and again four for the top.

The 300w Enviro bulb however within these standard barn reflector is clearly another case but if I remount the E40 holder at the bottom and drill another hole above it for the gromit and wiring essentially reversing the current design that will work too.

Here below is a standard OMEGA barn reflector with a 125w Enviro mounted.

large.20200401_140203.jpg

large.20200401_140250.jpg

This allows me to save quite some time and get along with the shelf that will be placed half way. I purchased a usual garage metal shelving unit solely for the legs  nice and long, steel based material but the shelves are surplus to requirements at present.

I've already cut the wooden lengths needed and hopefully finding time before Sunday I can get started on erecting and load testing way before the needed roughly set date that this 1.2x1.2x2 tent will even be needed. At present its holding quite a number of bags of COCO medium, ducting fans all boxed some ducting and feeds I've been collecting in preparation for beginning to actually grow.

Been a long time coming but I have been very busy.

• Like 2

@Butterfingerz i got around to doing my area.

bear in mind i only used what i had lying about in my shed and what i could 'borrow' from work.

the tent is only 80x80x160cm

i still need to waterproof the shelf, but i will get around to it soon.

its basic but works

top layer is 4 x 15w led bulbs and a 60w chinese led that i havent used yet, as i am worried it might be too close.

its approx 60cm height.

bottom is 4 x Philiphs Master PL-L 55w 840 bulbs,  its approx 1m high

large.20200404_184624.jpg

Edited by Subutai
  • Like 6

Wow that's amazing and inside an 80x80x160, that's even more amazing to complete. I was thinking about the waterproofing notion you mentioned and you could even use the tent liner? Just move it to the shelf section because if it's anything like mine it was all dimpled aluminium? Lined throughout so in essence it's a little redundant and could be out to good use on the shelf itself.

As you may have noticed in my previous sermons I'm debating the use of four 125w 6400k Enviro bulbs per cube section and will be using the entire tent just for vegging and training prior to the blooming phase. I have a smaller 90x60x140 GAIA tent I'm utilising for seedlings, mothers and fathers(when I know what's what) and clones :)

That looks very impressive within the image and just shows it's possible to utilise these tents in such a way to improve floorspace without a heavy impact on plant growth or maybe stressing out the ventilation system.

Thanks very much for posting its lovely ro see what you have done so far and that it works very well :)

Respect!!!

Edited by Owderb
  • Like 1

Thanks mate.

I am really limited by space in my grow room.

All i have room for is my flower tent and the above then, its already cured a headache, as now i can get some more cuttings on the go, i have a couple of mates who also do this, and it will be nice to actually give them a few cuttings instead of me sponging off them.

• Like 1

Yeah I think it's a quality way to utilise space, always wanted to give it a proper go in a proper way and like you say cures a headache all round.

I've got my wooden shelf lengths cut and am using steel right-angle legs which I've picked up for £2.50 a leg from a new brought metal shelving unit on offer at the DIY store. Already has holes within the legs for the shelves so makes it allot easier to put together.

I've got at least more then a month to go until the vegging tent even becomes viable for use as my seedlings are only about 100mm tall if that, so I've a while to go and during that time period eight bulbs, eight reflectors while the light hangers @miserydrift recommended to me which should be here within a week or so just to make life easier because I was going to use chain, S-hooks but all that clanging around I could not out up with to be honest!

You are very welcome to post whatever you feel required not only do you have actual groom shelving experience but it's also good for other members to see how this plays out in various tent sizes. It's all good food for thought.

I'm even considering as a next project to utilise 8ft x 4ft wood sheets some 25mm~35mm wooden lengths as the inner skeleton and creating the same again but 120cm x 120cm x 120cm x two cubes using a flexible SCRoG net and two 600w HID digital ballasts on an 8in fan and CF which will be mounted at the top outside the box.. 

Glad you posted Subutai :D

Edited by Owderb

Someone needs to if not already in production sell an 8x4 tent with proper steel legs, I've even considered filling the hollow steel with cement to strengthen them up and allow for a much more minimal build rather then using DIY sources :)

If anyone knows of tent sizes like this, I'd be happy to take a look and even save for a test purchase.. I have also tried to find a BudBox 120x120 shelving unit which again I was going to use cement to fill the hollow steel poles but the major let down is the weakest part, being the plastic corners.

Edited by Butterfingerz

Nice one , ive worked with a split drobe on and off for over 10 years , it works well when dialed :yep: 

Secret Jardin in my opinion has the best range of products and extras when it comes to this sort of request with shelving etc etc...i got offered a job by SJ last year but never took the opportunity...their tents are the best imo for the money :yes: 

Farmer G 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hey readers & onlookers,

As you can clearly see this doubling of veg floor space is slightly on hold even though I'd like it done yesterday. I really need to get myself to B&Q or another DIY supplier when I'm in one of the towns nearer to me. 

I dont fancy using the odds and sods around the yards however I do have metal right angle legs which will be used. I just need some 35mm x 35mm and a 6~10meters of chain.. Yes I mention chain, it'll be used to reinforce leg to leg in a diagonal motion or at least that's how I've thought about it to save a little space, minimise the look.

But still the project is a little on hold, also I'm awaiting another eight 6400k 125w Enviros, eight dutch barn reflectors along with a 6in/150mm fan, filter, ducting combo purchase.

At the moment the the tent is stored along with just shy of half the needed COCOcanna coco/pebbles mixes, 8in/200mm fan, speed controller a double skin 80L nutrients tank, 600w magnetic ballast which I've owned for years, 24G/h oZone and some other parts.

large.DVF001.jpg

Just a little busy, some plans are a little behind schedule but then again so's most of the planet the last month or so, I'm just following suit but in no dire need as I've unsexed plants which will need a further foliage trim and that's another two to three weeks repairing and growing time plus taking cuttings will take a further two weeks after that even before I can test flower in order to begin utilising this shelved veg tent.. 

How cool though, coming along slow and steady!

Edited by Butterfingerz
  • Like 1

On 4/10/2020 at 7:16 AM, FARMER G said:

Nice one , ive worked with a split drobe on and off for over 10 years , it works well when dialed :yep: 

Secret Jardin in my opinion has the best range of products and extras when it comes to this sort of request with shelving etc etc...i got offered a job by SJ last year but never took the opportunity...their tents are the best imo for the money :yes: 

Farmer G 

I wonder.. If SJ so-so a 1.2sqm shelf I wonder if it would suit the pole diameter I have here.. I might have to strengthen the outer corner poles with the use of some 35mm wood lengths but that might be a blessing in disguise..

Thanks for the heads up, I'll take a look at the options they have on sale :)

I've been further researching options and found a business that supplies scaffolding parts to consumers and other businesses online, they are also open during the COVID-19 pandemonium.

I've designed a table, with a top using 2.4m scaffold boards, cut in half. While the whole table consists of these parts in the image of which I'll draw up in sketch form what it should look like structurally in the end.

It's quite a price, but would last utter years and easily handle the load as well, take a look at the parts list but I will say the delivery charge for my safe delivery houses locations was roughly the same give or take £9 and costing a total of £32 roughly.

large.ScaffoldingFrame.jpg

Talk about a means to an end but it's still an in progress project with plenty of options for the next five weeks and counting now that I've pruned again.

P.S: The wall plate/flanges would be used as feet..

Edited by Butterfingerz
  • Like 1

I've also contacted BudBox which sent me to one of their retailers a little more local to me whom said they've not seen a BudBox 1.2sqm rigid shelf for at least six years but will enquire through BudBox sources in order to find me one.

I've tried secret jardin but nothing has come back to me on that lead yet, but it was only Friday I made enquires by email, phone or searching online.

All is going well though, I'd just like something safe, long lasting and for a good price while also professionally looking or at least worthy of taking note of.. Just like everyone else I guess.

I emailed secret Jardin over 2 weeks ago and no response. Whatevers else is going on, I hope they're safe and the business survives. 

• Like 1