Wac1 help please.

QFMAC

5 minutes ago, ratdog said:

it's for controlling a desk fan so should be fine

I don't think you're supposed to slow them down at all. Heat/fire issue.

Edited by QFMAC

2 minutes ago, QFMAC said:

I don't think you're supposed to slow them down at all. Heat/fire issue.

been doing it for a long time mate, they are just fine with a decent step controller

Just now, ratdog said:

been doing it for a long time mate, they are just fine with a decent step controller

I'm not being a know it all, I just had to say something as I've heard you shouldn't do it. I'd hate it if something happened and I didn't say anything.

Just now, QFMAC said:

I'm not being a know it all

i know mate, sorry if that sounded blunt, i sleep with a grow in the bedroom and the fans these days are shit and noisy so a controller quietens them enough to sleep. i have a variac in the living room controlling another desk fan too. if it was dangerous i doubt you could controller on an inline fan without the same issues. that said, if you use a controller that makes it hum then you will be risking things

5 minutes ago, ratdog said:

i know mate, sorry if that sounded blunt, i sleep with a grow in the bedroom and the fans these days are shit and noisy so a controller quietens them enough to sleep. i have a variac in the living room controlling another desk fan too. if it was dangerous i doubt you could controller on an inline fan without the same issues. that said, if you use a controller that makes it hum then you will be risking things

I've heard it's something to do with their own internal controls E.G. step 1,  2 and 3 on those types of fans. But as you say a step controller maybe different and perfectly safe. I honestly don't know. 

Just had to mention it.

As for hum, I can also confirm, absolutely nothing. Fucking Brilliant for the price! 

No need to apologise :yep:

Edited by QFMAC
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, QFMAC said:

I've noticed they do other Wac controllers as well. I haven't checked their wattage. Have a look up and see.

theyre a lot dearer too.

no, the next up basic model is about £75 then £150 odds. if you just want a basic controller then the wac1's enough, next up I'd recommend a 1A STR & actual Variacs to build my own.

47 minutes ago, Joint hogger said:

no, the next up basic model is about £75 then £150 odds. if you just want a basic controller then the wac1's enough, next up I'd recommend a 1A STR & actual Variacs to build my own.

I'm happy with my Wac1. You are right about speed setting on 1 though. I think that's too low for negative pressure. Number 2 and 3, I can literally barely hear the extractor at all! Number 4 the sound jumps up but still lower than full pelt on number 5.

Thanks again for your advice on how to assemble it and what bits I needed :yep: