Does anyone else not really smoke much?

JohnCleese420

Now don't get me wrong, I love to smoke. I smoke and sample a little of everything I harvest.

However, continual smoking (daily) has caused me to become depressed, anxious and lack motivation, which subsides after about a week of abstinence. Methods of consumption cause different adverse effects, joints especially leave me frazzled for the full next day which often leads me to smoke a doob just to wade out the frazzle. Vaping causes much less next day problems, I feel fresh, but after continual use, I eventually end up vaping for the sake of vaping leading to a similar depression.

For this reason, I barely smoke, once I start, even if I plan to only smoke that day, it'll lead to me smoking more ofter and eventually every day.

However, more than smoking, I have always enjoyed guerilla growing more. So I still grow with *close* friends and family benefiting from my harvest. They happily give me back a little bit when I want it so I never overindulge.

Anyone else love the growing much more than the consuming? I realize I could just grow something legal but I'm a thrill-seeker at heart. I love growing the plant deep in the wilderness and tomatoes and chillis just don't cut it :) 

• Like 13

16 minutes ago, JohnCleese420 said:

Now don't get me wrong, I love to smoke. I smoke and sample a little of everything I harvest.

However, continual smoking (daily) has caused me to become depressed, anxious and lack motivation, which subsides after about a week of abstinence. Methods of consumption cause different adverse effects, joints especially leave me frazzled for the full next day which often leads me to smoke a doob just to wade out the frazzle. Vaping causes much less next day problems, I feel fresh, but after continual use, I eventually end up vaping for the sake of vaping leading to a similar depression.

For this reason, I barely smoke, once I start, even if I plan to only smoke that day, it'll lead to me smoking more ofter and eventually every day.

However, more than smoking, I have always enjoyed guerilla growing more. So I still grow with *close* friends and family benefiting from my harvest. They happily give me back a little bit when I want it so I never overindulge.

Anyone else love the growing much more than the consuming? I realize I could just grow something legal but I'm a thrill-seeker at heart. I love growing the plant deep in the wilderness and tomatoes and chillis just don't cut it :) 

Same here bud, i like to touch base with reality every so often to see where i'm at as well.

The sensation of a full blown cannabis experience when your tolerance is down, taking advantage of what the plant has to offer is incredible and rewarding.

Couldn't agree more about the growing aspect of it, the thrill of the whole guerilla growing is what keeps you coming back for more next season.

I would consider my self more of a social smoker, but I do love a spliff and a couple of hours to aimlessly walk across the countryside.

Then again Cannabis reacts with people differently. I know some friends that chain smoke daily and keep their shit together, personally I couldn't but everyone is different.

Edited by KuJa
  • Like 3

I've smoked weed since I was 14. When I was 18 I met a girl who was a serious pothead, and we just got baked all the time. Wake and bake, smoking at lunch break at work etc. I had a spliff before my driving test..  proper smoker. That carried on until I was about 30. Now, I managed to hold down a career, hobbies etc during that time, but I have to say I always wonder how much more productive I could've been had I not been stoned for my 20's. It was fun though.

When I hit 30, i met my now wife, who smoked weed but not a stoner. When we moved in together, we ended up getting stoned every night and falling asleep on the sofa til 3am every night, and I decided it wasnt fair on her, and it wasn't good for me either. I was around 32 at the time. So I read a great book, and gave up weed completely. The book is called Quitting Weed: The Complete Guide, by Matthew Clarke. I have to say, life without weed was better - I did more, i felt great in the morning, I had dreams, I saved money etc etc...  I didn't miss it at all, which surprised me a lot. Every now and again I would have a spliff and get battered off a few puffs! We decided to get a bit of weed in at christmas, so for a few years we just did that - smoking at christmas for a couple of weeks while we were on leave, and the odd spliff whenever the opportunity came up at parties, mates houses etc..

Then last Jan my best mate died and it hit me very hard, and i ended up smoking loads after he left 2oz for me. I was bake to wake and bake (two spliffs before 8am most days), smoking all day, every evening etc. For six months I did that, and it started to get me down. I wasn't training, I stopped martial arts as I was too stoned by 6pm to be arsed to go. So I read my book again, and stopped in July last year. I started growing as me and my best mate had always said we woujld one day, so it's kinda in his honour really. I really do not want to smoke 8oz of weed haha. I will give lots of away, and also store lots of freezer etc etc so it lasts me.

Sorry for the long post, but it's a deep topic :)

But, to summarise: I genuinely believe smoking a lot of weed is not good for me personally at all, and I am far happier, more productive person when I abstain.

• Like 2

Hi mate, i used to smoke a lot before we had kids, all day every day from teens to 30 thats how i got in to growing ! It definitely had downsides as well not so much depression but definitely lack of motivation and laziness. Anyway we give up smoking when my missus first got pregnant, i felt a lot better but every minute of every day for seven years i missed cannabis, not a day went by when i didnt think about it i will always be a stoner at heart ! 

About 7 years ago i decided enough was enough and started smoking at night when the kids are asleep, now i vape but love the ritual, kids in bed, jobs done get smashed, its the perfect comprimise for me im clear headed all day and the cannabis helps me sleep like a baby, i love it !!

Edited by LA LUNA
  • Like 8

45 minutes ago, JohnCleese420 said:

Yes brother!! I love growing (since 1991) and watching everything come together but when it comes to smoking I take a wide birth, even when I sample my harvest I tend to use the least appealing bud I can find as I think it's a waste for me to use the a+++ stuff as I won't enjoy it!! My girl can smoke it all day and to be honest it gets on my nerves lool watching her stoned 24/7 and the house smelling all the time!! It's just not for me, when I started growing at 16 year old I did smoke loads but mainly because every one around me did too and I had no worrys or responsibilitys but now at 40 I get paranoid no matter what type I smoke and I just sit there waiting for it to ware off and I see it as a waste!! I watch you tube and some of the guys doing reviews and stuff and I think to myself what the f##k has happened? What has America done to this wonderfull God given plant, it's like watching junkies who don't know they are junkies 3 gram bongs and dabs the size of 50 pences smoking it like crack it's madness and at some point there will be a realization that something's gone wrong believe me,!!! How can you want to be in that state all day everyday?? This plant wasn't ment to be abused like this!!! Sorry for the rant but no one has ever brought this up before

• Like 2

It's like anything - when it owns you, you have gone too far... I know friends who drink a bottle of wine every night, but think they do not have an alcohol problem. The common test is, if you think you have something under control, then give it up for a week. If you cant do that, then you have a problem with that substance and should maybe consider whether it's having a positive or negative affect on you and your life.

• Like 1

Think its an age thing, use to smoke loads in my teens and was fine, like all day everyday, at work on break, would sneak out of family gatherings, literally stoned 5 or 6 years straight. Did a 2 or 3 year binge on uppers in the same fashion. Which turned me into a psycho, kicked it, started drinking nearly everyday, back to psycho. Did rehab, aa, substance abuse programmes ect. Was clean for two years, then decided to go back to old faithful weed that never steered me wrong. Although now im older i too shouldnt really smoke everyday, but go through periods where i do, but it does make me paranoid, lazy, disassociative from people and kinda just a bit of a useless turd tbh.

Incase it isnt obvious im not daily smoking at the moment lol

I do enjoy it when im smoking, its just day to day living it effects because i only smoke at night. I definitely put it down to getting older and maybe ive just given my brain a bit too much of a beating for how old it is lol 

• Like 4

What did it for me last year was my missus telling me to sort my shit out when I couldn't be arsed to go out with her and the kids for the day as I was stoned by 10am. She was right, and I needed telling. I love a spliff, but I'm 40 with two kids, a wife, and a mortgage to pay, so it needs to be held down a bit. Also, all my associations with smoking have gone...  raving, DJing, festivals, staying with the boys etc..  so now it's just me having a spliff outside in the back garden in the cold, and it's not quite the same

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, lemoore00 said:

What did it for me last year was my missus telling me to sort my shit out when I couldn't be arsed to go out with her and the kids for the day as I was stoned by 10am. She was right, and I needed telling. I love a spliff, but I'm 40 with two kids, a wife, and a mortgage to pay, so it needs to be held down a bit. Also, all my associations with smoking have gone...  raving, DJing, festivals, staying with the boys etc..  so now it's just me having a spliff outside in the back garden in the cold, and it's not quite the same

Youre the same as me man but im slightly younger lol 

1 hour ago, JohnCleese420 said:

Then dont smoke it. I certainly wouldn't if it had that affect on me

Owd

• Like 5

It's all about your own head space and personal tolerance for me. If my head is in a good place I can run an event for thousands of people while high as a kite. If something's playing on my swede though, I can find opening a tin of beans difficult when stoned. 

I have smoked since a UFO concert back in 1978. I, and my now wife, used to smoke far more than we do now. I mean we stayed for a month in Manali, chillums a plenty. Now I'm 58 and certainly don't smoke as much. Never in the day, even though I could as I work from home. We tend to now have a joint on a Wednesday evening with a couple glasses of wine, then Friday through to Sunday evening maybe 2 or 3 during the evening. We love to sit at the dinner table talking, toking, eating good food and drinking good wine. We then sit on the floor by the woodstove in the lounge, listen to tunes and have a toot. Love it. Maybe a movie for later. Never feel rough in the morning. We don't smoke or drink Monday, Tuesday and Thursday. Come Friday it's all bets are off and get rolling !

Growing is a hobby I love to do, and quite frankly so do a few of my mates as I give a lot away. I reckon we can go the whole week on a couple of grams. If I sat round all day and night smoking, it would bore me to tears. Horses for courses and whatever suits.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Larry Badgeley said:

I have smoked since a UFO concert back in 1978. I, and my now wife, used to smoke far more than we do now. I mean we stayed for a month in Manali, chillums a plenty. Now I'm 58 and certainly don't smoke as much. Never in the day, even though I could as I work from home. We tend to now have a joint on a Wednesday evening with a couple glasses of wine, then Friday through to Sunday evening maybe 2 or 3 during the evening. We love to sit at the dinner table talking, toking, eating good food and drinking good wine. We then sit on the floor by the woodstove in the lounge, listen to tunes and have a toot. Love it. Maybe a movie for later. Never feel rough in the morning. We don't smoke or drink Monday, Tuesday and Thursday. Come Friday it's all bets are off and get rolling !

Growing is a hobby I love to do, and quite frankly so do a few of my mates as I give a lot away. I reckon we can go the whole week on a couple of grams. If I sat round all day and night smoking, it would bore me to tears. Horses for courses and whatever suits.

Dude, i so want to be doing this in 30 years time lol