chocolate mint og hermie issues

grimdankness

3 minutes ago, Limey Gas man said:

Last time I smoked a hermie it tasted like nutty plastic from those immature white pearls you find. I would say fuck that and bin those bitches. They probably changed the formula from the original selections. Big hyped strains can't keep up with the demand of the consumer, so the breeding guys are obtaining different genes to maintain their business.

Yeh mate thinking I will probably have to bin them for the sake of my stress levels haha at least they were the two smallest from the tent by some margin now just pray to fuck that the others dont get inflicted with the same shite.

• Like 2

I did 6 of them and 3 went full blown hermie on me.

I caught them early, so nothing else was seeded/ jazzed on, but was still 3-4 weeks into bloom, and ended up pulling them.

like the captain says, feed them to the sheep, its not worth doing anything else with them.

Its a real shame, because the 3 that did finish are an excellent smoke, but im inclined to think its a strain breeding issue, as ive not had a hermie for about 6-7 years, and ive read about others having the same issue with it. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, grimdankness said:

running 6 strains. 6 litre pots, coco coir, 600hps in a 1.2m. temps are good, no light leak, no nutrient burn or deficiency at any point, all strains are very happy in there homes. Thinking the trigger could have been my defoliation thru first two weeks of flower, was plucking a few leaves almost every day but the girls were looking happy throughout. As I said in my first post I feel it is very odd that out of a 5 strain run (sugar breath, phantom cookies domina, purple punch, peyote cookies, choco mint) and they are all fine except both the choc mint og expressing male parts.

Seems very odd. If you were just taking a few leaves each day then it's odd that that is happening. 

Agreed with the rest though, get rid and start again. Not worth the watts. 

• Like 1

I chopped 4 about 4 months ago, didn’t have any problems.

I watch my plants like a hawk, every grow, and sometimes get male bits appearing, mainly with regs that obviously haven’t been stabilised by the breeder. I had some on a run of Disco Biscuit but just picked off the male bits as they appeared and after a couple of weeks the plants were fine right through to harvest.

I’d suggest you do the same if there aren’t too many appearing.

Good luck whatever you do.

• Like 3

My last grow was some Sweet Seeds fems. I gave them a quick 21 day veg..topped them at about 14 days old...and forced them into flower.

By 3 weeks in they were all covered in nut sacs...I mean covered not just one or two. I wasn't happy about losing the 6 weeks it had taken to get to that point.....so I decided to pick them off and see what happened.

I must have got lucky coz they didn't grow back and I must have got them all coz there were no seeds in any of them.

A lot of lads wouldn't fuck about and just bin them straight away....but I took the chance and I ended up glad that I did.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, stu sleeper 20vt said:

@Salty what var where the sweet seeds?

Las vegas lemon kush did similar for me.

They were Gorilla Girl and Do-sweet-dos mate. They obviously didn't like the early topping and they did get a bit cold so not surprising really.

I'm sticking to regs now and clones of regs

• Like 4

The worst strain I ever ran was Purple Wreck from RP, full blown hermies 3 times and it wasn’t down to me. Very annoying.

• Like 2

On 03/01/2020 at 10:20 AM, badbillybob said:

I did 6 of them and 3 went full blown hermie on me.

I caught them early, so nothing else was seeded/ jazzed on, but was still 3-4 weeks into bloom, and ended up pulling them.

like the captain says, feed them to the sheep, its not worth doing anything else with them.

Its a real shame, because the 3 that did finish are an excellent smoke, but im inclined to think its a strain breeding issue, as ive not had a hermie for about 6-7 years, and ive read about others having the same issue with it. 

Saw your journal mate, well done... looked very nice. I'm liable to think it is an issue with the current breeding stock potentially if you have had similar issues as well as other reports around, I purchased my beans from attitude about 4 months ago. As it stands ive plucked the sacs and am waiting to see if they reappear, ill be giving them a thorough once over daily and if they come back they'll be scrapped, fortunately the tent is pretty packed so if I lose 2 of 6 I'll still be looking at a fairly succesfull run and enough jars to last until the next! Thanks everyone for your thoughts and comments appreciate you all.

• Like 3

On 02/01/2020 at 11:09 PM, grimdankness said:

Sorry to make my first post here a negative one but as Ive been perusing these boards lately Id like to inform the members here that 2 out of 2 of my chocolate mint og have gone hermie!

Running a couple different strains in the tent including a sugar breath from HSO and all good as far as the rest goes so im liable to think its genetic and not stress related. This is my first time encountering these issues as im a bit of a noob having only run HSO blue dream prior to this, was thinking to just keep plucking them off as they form as they are both at the front of the tent and quite accessable, only on day 25f as well. ah balls.

If your having issues this is the right place to post mate :yep:

Firstly let me apologise for the hermi issue. Typically this is something I don't see with CMOG but this last few months I have seen a few plants crop up with this issue :(

Let me have a chat with the team to see if we have been getting more reports of this issue from other growers  ;)

Again, sorry about this mate. Let me see what I can find out :yep:

Kind regards 

Mark..

Edited by HSO-Mark
  • Like 5

• 2 months later...

I have a cut of Choc Mint that seems to have (psuedo) hermie issue when grown in high temps and/or excessive light.

I say (psuedo) as she has never produced seeds, her herm flowers seem to be more of an empty threat than an issue, at least with my girl, though I always keep a strict eye on her.

She does seem to thrive on the lower end of the temp spectrum, say 25-26C, anything approaching 30C makes her visibly uncomfortable, and she does well in quite cold environments, producing very dark purple and even black leaves sometimes.
She also light burns easily, I like to keep her tops more than a metre away from the light at all times.

Amazing weed when she's dialled in, will keep her for long time!

Edited by audioaddict
  • Like 3