Soil for Cannabis and vegetables?

skidmarx

Hello growers,

I am looking to build a "super soil" with clackamas coot's reciepe as a guide (theres so fkn many)

Peat moss/pearlite/composted old grow soil with some EWC

Then

kelp/krill/neem/VR dust/gypsum/oyester shell

Will this work for tom's and peppers or will it be too hot?

I am looking to mix in jan to it can cook till spring.

Many thanks,

Skid

30 minutes ago, skidmarx said:

Hello growers,

I am looking to build a "super soil" with clackamas coot's reciepe as a guide (theres so fkn many)

Peat moss/pearlite/composted old grow soil with some EWC

Then

kelp/krill/neem/VR dust/gypsum/oyester shell

Will this work for tom's and peppers or will it be too hot?

I am looking to mix in jan to it can cook till spring.

Many thanks,

Skid

Ah someone is talking my language... 

There's a lot of variables there. But if you're using a coot recipe all I would say is give them a little longer in their starter pots. 

Also, if you're cooking it for a while (or in any situation) try and give up the perlite. Rice husks and buckwheat have so many functions in living organic soil - slow release silicon, worm food, aeration, more hospitable to microbes. Perlite has one singular use - aeration. 

Good luck! 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Nervous said:

There's a lot of variables there. But if you're using a coot recipe all I would say is give them a little longer in their starter pots. 

Also, if you're cooking it for a while (or in any situation) try and give up the perlite. Rice husks and buckwheat have so many functions in living organic soil - slow release silicon, worm food, aeration, more hospitable to microbes. Perlite has one singular use - aeration. 

Good luck! 

Brilliant N cheers for that. I saw a uk company offering pearlite buckW or rice hull. I'll go rice hulls & BW instead. I have honestly been getting dizzy at the number of soil recepie options but ordered my toms pots n pepper seeds yesterday and thought fck it. Make a list and mix it.

Local authority have £5 for a 220L compost bin offer so thats my xmas box.

Happy growing

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, skidmarx said:

Brilliant N cheers for that. I saw a uk company offering pearlite buckW or rice hull. I'll go rice hulls & BW instead. I have honestly been getting dizzy at the number of soil recepie options but ordered my toms pots n pepper seeds yesterday and thought fck it. Make a list and mix it.

Local authority have £5 for a 220L compost bin offer so thats my xmas box.

Happy growing

No probs, I love tinkering with soil recipes. Indoor Organics are the best people for soil amendments including husks of both types. Just don't go with E-Coco.  

WHAT! Link me to this compost bin! Ahaha. I think I paid £30 for a 330L and it's fallen to bits. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nervous said:

Good luck! 

What sort of rice husks are particularly good or is it just any? id be interested using perlite at the minute 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, UKsFinest said:

What sort of rice husks are particularly good or is it just any? id be interested using perlite at the minute 

Heat treated rice husks - Indoor Organics sell them. I cannot emphasise how useless perlite is lol  

• Like 2

when i last run compost with dope i was getting good solid harvests with bord na mona,but i added a few bits + bobs to it as to my preferences.

here.

https://www.bordnamonahorticulture.ie/home-gardening/gardening-products/multipurpose-compost/growise-pro-5-purpose-compost/

my local nursery uses lots of it,our dai calls it the finest allrounder thats out there.   it served me well. ;)

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Nervous said:

Heat treated rice husks - Indoor Organics sell them. I cannot emphasise how useless perlite is lol  

Cheers I'll definitely add them, all my perlite seems to do is rise whenever its watered lol 

• Like 2

https://getcomposting.com/profile/login

The above company link up with local authorities (UK) to offer subsidesed Bins. Put your postcode in on their page I guess it works out if doscount applies. 

(They do a 320 for £7) 

That bordnemona peat free and reduced line looks good and the the firm look to be rolling out across the uk in 2020 

Recycling my peat light mix has been one of my aims coupling with food scaps and garden waste.

Indoor organics has a fine line up.

Do I need a soil activator if its cooking for months? Its another expense I don't want but biochar looks good.

(I have been making and adding blended Sprouted Barley teas and adding that to innoculate all my grow and compost soil)

I am fresh to planning a soil im greatful for all input:cheers:

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, skidmarx said:

https://getcomposting.com/profile/login

The above company link up with local authorities (UK) to offer subsidesed Bins. Put your postcode in on their page I guess it works out if doscount applies. 

(They do a 320 for £7) 

That bordnemona peat free and reduced line looks good and the the firm look to be rolling out across the uk in 2020 

Recycling my peat light mix has been one of my aims coupling with food scaps and garden waste.

Indoor organics has a fine line up.

Do I need a soil activator if its cooking for months? Its another expense I don't want but biochar looks good.

(I have been making and adding blended Sprouted Barley teas and adding that to innoculate all my grow and compost soil)

I am fresh to planning a soil im greatful for all input:cheers:

Sadly, they don't do it in my area :( 

I have used biochar but not noticed much difference in a side by side. Just keep the worms, and microbes fed and it'll keep going. 

Most welcome! 

• Like 1

Great news on biochar bad news on the bin. I checked a few postcodes and its a roulette who gets the discount. I used 3 of my old adrssses and I would say the biggest discounts are inner cities. 

• Like 1