Cracking seeds in Coco ?

Growing my own

Hiya,

Moving from soil to Coco along with Growers ark hard water nutrients.Any tips on how to go about this? I don`t have the first feed just a&b and traces & rootstimulator.In soil I just used a lightmix and small pots,put them in a warm dark place till they showed.

Not to sure about straight into Coco tho,some say start off with half of a&b some mention 2ml of rootstim only,will they need fed from the day I pop a seed into little pots or will a seedling be fine for 7 days or so after germinating?And then just build it up as they grow.

Any advice most welcome.

I start with plain water for the the first week after popping in coco 

Then 1/4 strength nutes and build up from there 

• Like 4

I water my coco to saturation with 2ml/ltr of root then plant the seed. Once the seedling is up it usually doesn't want water for about 5 days in the small pots I use. I then use 1ml/ltr of A+B grow and 4ml/ltr of traces

Owd

• Like 10

Little pots of coco are a good way to start. 

I let seeds sit in 18 degree water in a shot glass for 15hours, I keep shot glass in my cupboard with boiler in as it keeps water warm throughout the 15 hours. 

I don't use the paper towel method 

I go into a jiffy to start with but little pot is fine. 

Saturate the coco or 70/30 but don't drown it so the pot weighs a tonne. As long as its relatively damp it will be fine. 

Once you have saturated, Bury the seed around 15mm below the coco, keep room around 22 degrees and as high humidity as you can with a little exchange of air so condescension isn't all over your tent, around 48 hours later they should start to show their heads. 

Start light with the feed too. 

Hope that's to some use 

• Like 1

I've not read every diary on this forum but if you go into the dinafem section, 2019-2020 diaries you'll see in good detail how alot of people start their seeds 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Once seeds have popped, it's better to use Root Magic cubes or the like, to get them going, and use Formulex to feed them when seedlings, along with Canna Rhizotonic, then when the roots are bursting through the bottom, pot them up to small pots with Coco at 1/4 strength nutrient feed and keep using the Rhizotonic throughout veg ;)

On 12/18/2019 at 9:55 AM, Anthony1 said:

Mine go straight into coco plain water till they crack then tiny dose of feed week later

- Have you tried using rooting cubes in comparison with putting them straight into pots of coco?

Re: More vigourous rooting than putting straight into pots of coco

[NB. "Root Riot" cubes is what I meant, not "Root Magic", but I am sure there are other brand names other than 'Root Riot', made by other manufacturers]

On 20/12/2019 at 8:35 PM, cannathc said:

- Have you tried using rooting cubes in comparison with putting them straight into pots of coco?

Re: More vigourous rooting than putting straight into pots of coco

[NB. "Root Riot" cubes is what I meant, not "Root Magic", but I am sure there are other brand names other than 'Root Riot', made by other manufacturers]

I have mate I find they dried out too fast. I do start in party cups and pot up.

10 hours ago, Anthony1 said:

I have mate I find they dried out too fast. I do start in party cups and pot up.

They do dry out too fast. I'm thinking of starting them in 3 inch net pots next time filled with fine coco. Not sure whether to pop them out when they are well rooted or to leave them in it when it comes to potting up time into 1L airpots..

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 1

Coco is great for germination mate. I fill small pots with coco then pop in a seed close to the surface and water from the bottom until wet with a mild nutrient solution, cover the pots with clingy and remove when seedling appears. remember to have your coco and your liquids to temperature also i run my light 24/7 until they germinate to lessen the chances of  too great a variant in temperature.:lucky:

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
On 12/7/2019 at 2:01 PM, Owderb said:

I water my coco to saturation with 2ml/ltr of root then plant the seed. Once the seedling is up it usually doesn't want water for about 5 days in the small pots I use. I then use 1ml/ltr of A+B grow and 4ml/ltr of traces

Owd

@OwderbIs that root a must to start or I can use pH perfect advanced nutes a b from start?

What brands can you recommend of root stim? I'll have to check what's avaliable

I'll be germinating seeds soon,plan is to take 1L pots and fill them half so when they stretch I'll just fill up the pot,that ok?

I imagine I have to fully saturate that 0.5L of coco?

Edited by Herbal Kint

@Herbal Kint

I use Growers Ark root stim mate. Not a must but advisable to use a root stim from the very start

You can use a bit of base nutrient from the start but a seed plant will have enough food from the shell for 4 or 5 days to sustain it until you start with the food

Yes I fully saturate my pots when I plant my seeds. You could do that a day before you plant your seed if you wished

Owd

Thanks man, I got Atami B-cuzz in shop,can I go with that? Will it affect ph?

So I'll fill 0,5 l in pots ,saturate them with b cuzz, next day I'll plant seeds I germinated in water and plant them like 2cm deep.

Unsure to use led or hps from start as well but I'll work it out

Few more questions pending but I'll go step by sep