Cream of the Crop - November 2019

Joolz

Cream of the Crop - November 2019  

191 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, OLaC said:

Thanks mate, loving the crazy calyxus on your entry this month! Wild!

Focus Stacking is a bit of an elaborate technique but really useful when tackling the razor thin plane of focus your dealing with at those magnifications. The camera and lens are mounted on a focus rail.

You take a shot, move the camera and lens down the rail ever so slightly and take another shot and repeat until everything you want is in focus, then stack those shots in Photoshop or dedicated stacking software.

If anyone wants to try the technique (and has Photoshop) it doesn't have to be that elaborate.

If you have adequate light, put on your macro lens, set to burst mode, then try leaning forward slightly whilst pressing the shutter. 

It takes some practice but if I'm shooting macro in the field it's what I do as usually the subjects long gone before I can setup the rail and tripod lol. You only need 3-5 shots to make it work.

Import all photos to Photoshop  as layers then highlight them all.

Edit > align all images

Edit > stack images (choose focus stacking)

Then wait. (Can't take a while depending on amount of images, age of computer. Etc).

What lens is giving you 4.5 mag? I take it your using photoshop cc, if anyone wants to use photoshop elements you need to get the elements+ add on, no auto photo stacking on the basic elements..

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, trichomehi said:

What lens is giving you 4.5 mag? I take it your using photoshop cc, if anyone wants to use photoshop elements you need to get the elements+ add on, no auto photo stacking on the basic elements..

I'm using the canon mp-e 65mm, I took these shots with it as trying to decide whether to part with it or not. I swapped over to Sony recently so have been slowly replacing my canon lenses. I love this lens, but hardly use it much anymore, take so much time to set up and stack images, post process etc. Plus with the adaptor the setups so cumbersome on the smaller Sony mirrorless.

yeh I have the Photoshop/lightroom subscription. I use Zerene stacker to stack nowadays (they used to do 30 day trial if you can find it) it's much quicker than Photoshop, certainly for larger stacks. 

• Like 3

seb88 for me as its more ellnaturello than the other pictures,looks like the kind of picture i`d take no 3k camera used lol  get in bach its a beaut of a flower that imo. :beer:

• Like 3

olac's pic for me that's a stunning shot.

looking at these pics each month only reminds me i need a better camera lol

• Like 3

22 hours ago, thekingofobsolete said:

seb88 for me as its more ellnaturello than the other pictures,looks like the kind of picture i`d take no 3k camera used lol  get in bach its a beaut of a flower that imo. :beer:

3 hours ago, murphyblue said:

olac's pic for me that's a stunning shot.

looking at these pics each month only reminds me i need a better camera lol

I used my old samsung s6 to take my photo's all I used in the background was black backdrop material cheap as chips. 

:smokin:

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...

Nice one @FarmerG canny believe it, im well chuffed! Had a few nominations in the past  but this os my first ever win! Can die happy now lol

Thanks to everyone who voted, and well done to all the entrants, such stunning plants!

Have been a bit down cos I Had to take down the grow room yesterday as will be decorating the whole of the upstairs :( so no more grows for a good few months...

this has really cheered me up tho..might even motivate me to get the decorating done quicker so i can get another on asap lol

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, OLaC said:

this has really cheered me up tho..might even motivate me to get the decorating done quicker so i can get another on asap lol

:yes:

Edited by Cursed
  • Like 2

Congratulations @OLaC

With a lovely shot :yep:

As Usual bro could you pm me your nutrient choice ie 60/40 coco hydro organic or plain soil with a name and safe adress to send your prize to and I will get it over to dispatch for you mate 

Congrats again

All the best 

Matt :skin_up:

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Joolz said:

congrats  @OLaC

please contact @Intense Nutrients Matt to claim your prize :)

Much appreciated joolz! :yahoo:

11 hours ago, Intense Nutrients Matt said:

Congratulations @OLaC

With a lovely shot :yep:

As Usual bro could you pm me your nutrient choice ie 60/40 coco hydro organic or plain soil with a name and safe adress to send your prize to and I will get it over to dispatch for you mate 

Congrats again

All the best 

Matt :skin_up:

Thanks Matt, much appreciated mate! I'm well chuffed, been looking forward to trying your organic range, will shoot you a pm when I finish work.

All the best mate

• Like 3