Cutting plastic bulb off household LED lights. Cheap lighting?

MyDisplayName2000

@UKGrow3r I grow in small spaces and only need a heat mat/ thermostat to keep my root zone in check really. I do have fans blowing over my f strips which can only be running around 100w and they do push some decent heat up around the room.

No experience of tent growing im afraid, i have a friend who grows in his shed and he does say his best purchase has been one of them controllers for his intake/outake to maintain temps. Sounded expensive tho

2 hours ago, highcontrast said:

@UKGrow3r I grow in small spaces and only need a heat mat/ thermostat to keep my root zone in check really. I do have fans blowing over my f strips which can only be running around 100w and they do push some decent heat up around the room.

No experience of tent growing im afraid, i have a friend who grows in his shed and he does say his best purchase has been one of them controllers for his intake/outake to maintain temps. Sounded expensive tho

I know what you mean about smaller spaces mate I think I'm gonna do out a wardrobe after this has come down and was only talking to someone on here about one of those they said there about £70 mate

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I'm giving it a go too.....got 1 JCB LED 6500K with 3 2700K and a red/blue 45w light I had for my bonsai,

just got the 1 Amnesia Haze on the go due to lack of light/space, seems quite happy 

wish me luck, guys

• 2 weeks later...

just added a small fan, £5 at the range, was thinking stale air more important than smell right now......agreed????

adding a bit at a time.....gardens growing!!

oh, and another 15w 3500k JCB led

she's started to show pistles....the ride begins!!!

• 6 months later...

Resurrecting this thread. I've been wanting to try this, but I've got limited head room so was looking at some

Dimmable Recessed LED Panel Lamp 6W 9W 12W 15W 18W 21W Ceiling Down Light White

On the bay, and thought they might also work well. Was gunna use the 9 watt versions. I'm currently running a 100 watt quantum board but its 27cm² in a 60x60x120 so heaps of light in the center but not a lot at the edge. Was gunna run 8 of these spaced out around the outside off a dimmer switch, and then dim the whole lot (board and downlights)  down for a more even light accross the canopy. 

Surely it will work, right? 

Don’t see why it shouldn’t - last year’s grow was under T5s, supplemented by various clip-on domestic LEDs.  My current fridge grow is all standard bulbs, largely because of space but I’ve left the domes on because the space is so small, with greater chance of heat damage from a more direct and concentrated light.  The cabinet is reflective inside, anyway, so any light “escaping” sideways will get there eventually (apparently the speed of light is much reduced in my fridge).

More to the point, I like the flexibility of being able to position individual lamps to support growth lower down the stems, so I’ve a couple of boards (small lengths of mdf) each with two light fittings above, a pendant fitting dangling at various heights down the middle, and three clip-ons to strategically enhance the shaded areas.  There’s so little heat that I can get right in there, even if I use a 9W in place of 14W, to be on the safe side.

Ceiling downlighters are a tidier solution, some can swivel a little for the best spread in-situ, some are fixed.  Depends also on the spread angle of the beam, I suppose.

I beginning to think that the only real issue is what overall colour temp (or mix) will be more effective, otherwise LED lamps are great, whether it’s a photon torpedo quantum matrix array or a mare’s nest of cables and clips!