Cutting plastic bulb off household LED lights. Cheap lighting?

MyDisplayName2000

I used em for a few grows, worked great in a little space for me. iirc i used a mix of 2700k and 3500k. seedlings always preferred one bulb in particular but i can't remember which :smokin:

large_70cm.PNGlarge.bulbs.PNG

I've missed having a veg space again so i have been messing around with some led tape at the mo, i seem to have ok top growth but very poor root production. these are roughly 2/3 weeks ish.

large.5de7c26ee0e21_pic5(2)(Small).PNG

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, highcontrast said:

Home bargains stocked em a couple of years back, fuck knows these days tho

A few months back I Was buying bulbs for the house and home bargains had a big selection and pretty cheap

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, highcontrast said:

Home bargains stocked em a couple of years back, fuck knows these days tho

Cheers mate found some at screwfix i know this sounds like a daft question but wouldn't you need separate light holders with separate plugs so if say I was going to run 4 of these then i would need 4 plugs for them or could you make a holder that just uses 1 plug for all of them

Edited by Garrygreenfingers

38 minutes ago, Garrygreenfingers said:

Cheers mate found some at screwfix i know this sounds like a daft question but wouldn't you need separate light holders with separate plugs so if say I was going to run 4 of these then i would need 4 plugs for them or could you make a holder that just uses 1 plug for all of them

Im no electrician, i daisy chained them to one plug.  Buy 4 bulbs and 4 bulb holders, plug to first and daisy chain to the rest.Dont see that being a problem, but again im no electrician :oldtoker:

@Jimboo Home bargains is new maplins :notworthy:

Edited by highcontrast
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, highcontrast said:

Im no electrician, i daisy chained them to one plug.  Buy 4 bulbs and 4 bulb holders, plug to first and daisy chain to the rest.Dont see that being a problem, but again im no electrician :oldtoker:

@Jimboo Home bargains is new maplins :notworthy:

Was only in it that one-time mate doing bloke shopping(straight in and out without looking around)  but after looking online and finding Brut aftershave for £2.99 yes only £2.99 might be back tomorrow   they also have a 

Daewoo 800w Mini Oil Filled Radiator £14.99      ImageHandler.ashx?id=33970&targetSize=294

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 08/11/2019 at 8:52 AM, Openairbud said:

I've just finished a full grow with 6 x 13watt household leds. 2700k. It was an experiment really but worked great for me. This was with tops cut off. But if I was to do it again I would start with tops on as diyled says. Seemed a bit harsh to start. large.20190903_201303-2476x1857.jpg

my hat is doffed ..staggering ..6 x 13 watt. .. wow .just wow .

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/12/2019 at 2:35 PM, highcontrast said:

I used em for a few grows, worked great in a little space for me. iirc i used a mix of 2700k and 3500k. seedlings always preferred one bulb in particular but i can't remember which :smokin:

large_70cm.PNGlarge.bulbs.PNG

I've missed having a veg space again so i have been messing around with some led tape at the mo, i seem to have ok top growth but very poor root production. these are roughly 2/3 weeks ish.

large.5de7c26ee0e21_pic5(2)(Small).PNG

How did you daisy chain those up pal?

@UKGrow3r theres small solder points at regular intervals on the led tape, requires a small soldering iron and a very steady hand. 

i have neither and it looks a complete mess 

• Like 1

On 08/11/2019 at 8:52 AM, Openairbud said:

I've just finished a full grow with 6 x 13watt household leds. 2700k. It was an experiment really but worked great for me. This was with tops cut off. But if I was to do it again I would start with tops on as diyled says. Seemed a bit harsh to start. large.20190903_201303-2476x1857.jpg

I just love this:yep:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, highcontrast said:

@UKGrow3r theres small solder points at regular intervals on the led tape, requires a small soldering iron and a very steady hand. 

i have neither and it looks a complete mess 

Atleast you got it working mate, iv used 2x 100w energiser LED lights for seeds and iv tried making my own fully fluorescent led light with 50w fully fluorescent cob chips and I have those wires up fine but can't get temp up in the tent even with my 2ft tube heater. Got 11 plants in heated proporgator waiting transfer but can't get temp up to spec! any ideas? 

Edited by UKGrow3r