First Loft Build

lovedovegeneration

Afternoon, first post – Hi all. So the story so far, my mate rang me and said would I help him set up a grow tent, neither of us had a clue where to start so I’ve 3 months reading up and buying stuff. I’ve kind of taken over the process and after much research I convinced him to do a loft build. I started 2 days ago and I'm about 7hrs in so far - Brief spec is:

1.2x.2.3x1.8 high

Wooden frame with sloping roof

50mm kinspan/celo/etc with another 25mm spaced away from the 50mm to create a thermal gap (not sure if needed)

B&Q silver bubble wrap outside and in.

Two 600w Fan cooled hoods

Dimmable ballasts

x8 15L Autopot system

Air pump for res

Contractor light timer

Ecotechnics  controller

Carboair 10" 1metre filter

6" RVK

8" RVK

I’ll get some pics uploaded when I get back to his – ‘working from home’ tomorrow so should be able to crack on again.

• Like 4

Roof is on ! I had to build the roof and then lift it up at each end onto the 4 uprights, took some doing on my own ! decided against the air cooled hoods and went for run of the mill, which I'm thinking was a bad idea as the heat could have been used to heat the room, but was concerned with noise.

Just waiting on the pond liner and MH bulbs now and then I can finish the build next week.

large.49064008847_1a6d7e9e38_c.jpg

• Like 6

19 hours ago, tokenroll said:

Looking good and a nice size. Make sure and run some aluminium tape along all the joins of the celotex.

Cheers Dude, Yep got the thin crappy stuff and also some heavy duty stuff. I've also butted all the joints together with dryfix foam. Temps concern me as we have no way to pull in warm air as he does not want to leave the door open to the loft, I'm thinking of building some kind of hood to go over the ballasts and using the heat off them, not sure how hot they get though. I've got a temp and humidity data logger so I'll soon see if there's an issue with temps.

Can you draw warmer air in from the house. You can then heat this using a radiator in a box if necessary. I have just done this and now have useable temps.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, M Pamplemousse said:

Can you draw warmer air in from the house. You can then heat this using a radiator in a box if necessary. I have just done this and now have useable temps.

Yeah maybe, he wants to keep the door shut that leads to the loft stairs, he has his kids at the weekends and wanted to keep the door shut if poss.  It may well be warmer at the bottom of the stairs so we may be able to get away with keeping the door closed, or just tweak it so it has a gap.

That's what I used to do when I was in the loft...no major expense on heating the air going in then come winter time as it just needs a top up as opposed to heating freezing cold air from outside. 

Build looks good :yep: 

1 hour ago, joe9000 said:

Draw warmer air from cutting a hole in bedroom cupboard ceiling.

Not his house mate so not an option I'm afraid.

1 hour ago, botanics said:

That's what I used to do when I was in the loft...no major expense on heating the air going in then come winter time as it just needs a top up as opposed to heating freezing cold air from outside. 

Build looks good :yep: 

Cheers, I may have to find a way to pull in warm air, I converted my loft into a cinema room and in summer it was unbearable up there, needed a velux in really. His loft is bigger but I expect it to be just as hot/cold. In summer I have flu I can pull cold air from so should be fine....I hope.

Should be finished next week, I've managed to blag 3 days working from home, which is more than enough time to get it completed.

• Like 1

Bit more progress this week,  inside is ready for the black/white tomorrow. Taken far more kingspan than I thought and still need 3 more sheets ! going for 75mm with a 50mm air gap. Friday I should fitting it out and making the door. Waiting on a CFL and heated prop to arrive and I should be good to go.

large.49096356071_e6483bc779_c.jpglarge.49096549522_6ea64945f6_c.jpg

• Like 6

Santa's grotto is finished ! I think I may have gone overboard with the filter, I was hoping to run it along side the lights but it's far to big ! so it's going along the back wall and the fan will have to be outside the grotto. Fitted a pond liner, rubber mats and some floor files on top of the mats that I had kicking about to try and keep the cold away, all lined out in white - been a long 4 days,  I need to be back in the office for a rest.

large.49105179323_66150c0b95_c.jpg

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update - Taken me three weeks and two to ebay time wasters just to get the light I needed for the seeds, bought new in the end. I've also been ill with man flu for a week so not much has been happenimg really, made a washing dryer thng to lower the lights and wired up the ecotechnics controller.  Seeds went in today so it's all systems go.

large.49214495106_9ab0014325_c.jpg

large.49214013693_cfdf7dae5d_c.jpg

• Like 5

Don't forget fire safety. 

Smoke alarms inside and outside the groom and an auto powder fire extinguisher to hang above the lights. 

Make sure you can detect smoke in the flu. 

• Like 1