Recommendation required please

Tony K

Hi Mark,

I noticed you are on the verge of a house move so thought I'd try and get a quick response before you get drowned in carboard boxes and bin bags full of clothes if possible!

I'm hoping for an expert recommendation as to choice of seeds for my next grow please.

I'll be operating two 1.2 x 1.2 m tents, in soil, each with 600w HPS.

In one tent I'm pretty set on 4x Original Amnesia

As for the other, I've narrowed it down to one strain from:

Critical Jack

Critcal 2.0

Critical Amnesia

Critical Kush.

I'd also like to throw a Haze Auto into that tent. I recognise it won't be ideal (being on 12/12 for much of the time) but as an occasional grower I'd like to try a heavy CBD strain and this gets great reviews. The photos will be the priority. The CBD auto is is just an experiment but it would be nice to get it over the line.

So which would you recommend?

I have two less than perfect grows under my belt so something fairly forgiving for a newbie who is willing to learn would be ideal.

After the difficulties of my last two grows (both Auto), I'm opting for Photos and the best seeds I can get - hence the Dinafem interest!

Cheers!

Tony.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tony K said:

As for the other, I've narrowed it down to one strain from:

Critical Jack

Critcal 2.0

Critical Amnesia

Critical Kush.

Anything with Critical in is pretty easy to grow mate but out of the 4 you've selected I would have to choose

Critical Jack  :yep:

Critical+ x Jack Herer  ;)

She's perfect for a beginner or grower with only a couple of grows under their belt, easy to maintain in the vegative stage. Reacts well to topping and training and produced really well in bloom :yep:

I see you are planning on running an auto or 2 along side. How long do you typically veg (18/6) for mate?

If it's 7-8 week's then you can have the Auto very close to finish prior to starting bloom (12/12) :yep:

Best of both world's :)

Hope that helps mate  :yep:

All the best  :bong:

Mark..

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dinafem-Mark said:

Hope that helps mate

Indeed it does!

Thanks for the input. I've read through a few diaries and that was the one I was favouring, but good to have it confirmed by an expert!

2 minutes ago, Dinafem-Mark said:

How long do you typically veg (18/6) for mate?

I've never done a photo, but the 18/6 regime is my intention.

I'd read that sativa-dominant strains with a large stretch might be best started straight on 12/12, but I think I'd prefer to have a go at topping and training, so a short veg period at 18/6 is the plan. I reckon I'd be looking for trouble having a long veg period. Some of the diaries here talk more about 3-4 weeks, just to avoid the massive plant issue.

But I'm not set on any of that - I'm open to any suggestions!

Thanks for your help.

Tony.

• Like 1

If doing auto and photo think about veg at 24hrs or 20/4 but dinafem are great so can’t go wrong even if abused they give great end product just the better you grow the more you get from them so can’t go wrong :bong:

• Like 2

@Tony K my advise with photoperiods of any sort and for your flower space, grow the plants out in veg to make 2ftx2ft wide plants get the canopy level and hit flower and cut every sucker branch off asap. Yield should be good at that.

Toke...

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, ineedofusername said:

If doing auto and photo think about veg at 24hrs or 20/4 but dinafem are great so can’t go wrong even if abused they give great end product just the better you grow the more you get from them so can’t go wrong :bong:

I've never been a fan of 24/0 even for an auto but I have seen amazing results using this lighting regime  ;)

Personally 20/4 for autos in my opinion as I feel all plants need a little down time  :yep:

10 minutes ago, Tony K said:

But I'm not set on any of that - I'm open to any suggestions!

If you've got the room and head height I would do a 6-8 week veg whilst growing your autos, this is not always viable though due to room sizes etc :)

3-4 weeks would be good and give you some decent size plants to flower. Your auto crop will be affected though  :)

All valid points worth taking into consideration  :yep:

Mark..

Edited by Dinafem-Mark
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, tokenroll said:

grow the plants out in veg to make 2ftx2ft wide plants get the canopy level and hit flower and cut every sucker branch off asap.

I'll check out your diaries and see how its done!

Thanks!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dinafem-Mark said:

3-4 weeks would be good and give you some decent size plants to flower. Your auto crop will be affected though

I was willing to accept the auto being diminished, it's just an opportunity to try a CBD strain...

...but I will now give this some thought...

4 minutes ago, Dinafem-Mark said:

I would do a 6-8 week veg whilst growing your autos, this is not always viable though due to room sizes etc

If I can make it work it might be a good option.

Cheers!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tony K said:

If I can make it work it might be a good option.

Where there's a will there's a way mate :yep:

Plenty to think over ;)

Mark..

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hi @Dinafem-Mark,

It's been a while since your replies and there has been a

slight change of plan. I’m now down to one tent (1.2 x 1.2m) and a limited timescale!

Due to some future commitments, I’ve got exactly 15 weeks before I have to have the buds in jars with the tent down and packed away. This is the only opportunity I’ve got for a while and the jars are running low.

So in that time I’d like to be able to grow a minimum of about 6oz of bud.

- ideally something with a sativa bias.

Do you have a couple of suggestions you could offer? I’m a beginner with two troublesome grows under my belt - both autos. This time, I’d prefer the flexibility a photo brings, but I recognise that as time is a short an auto might be the best/only choice.

It’ll be a soil grow. I’m intending switching from what I used on my two previous grows (Allmix and BioBizz nutes). This time I intend to use Plant Magic and Old Timers. (unless recommended otherwise!)

So if you could offer a little expert advice on strain choice. I'd appreciate it!

Tony.

Edited by Tony K
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, michaeldbc said:

70day flowering but worth it.

Cheers buddy.

So that would be ten weeks flower; plus about two weeks drying. That would leave no margin for delays if I opted for a three week veg.

I've looked into a few Dinafem strains and some of my concerns stem from pheos that can extend to 13 weeks or so (admittedly they are sativa dominant strains though).

• Like 2

It says 60-70 days flower but recomends a shorter veg period because it's an animal grows big fast.

Maybe up your plant count with whatever strain you choose and do 12/12 from seed? Or 2 weeks 24hours then flip something like that to keep the time down a little.

• Like 3

Yeah i agree increase plant numbers on whatever strain you decide on to decrease veg time. 

Edited by Alan Johnson