Newbie questions

Bigbob88

As for keeping plant size down, many ways, mostly involving training or trimming.  You can easily train a plant to grow horizontally.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, bubbleguppie said:

with a oil fire rad plugged into the mains my sprak added outside power earlier on in the summer been a life saver

I'm thinking about getting a paraffin heater, I don't have an electric point outside unfortunately :(

7 hours ago, Bigbob88 said:

Thanks mate that answers alot for me :)

I'm going to struggle starting them indoors as I dont have a light or any indoor equipment. Is this a must?

I'm going to heat the greenhouse, will this help with the mould and late shitty weather conditions? I can't figure out if the lack of sun will be the problem or the lack of heat.

One question I forgot to ask, are guerilla seeds better to grow outdoors with? I'm linking the name to guerilla grow lol and assuming they're specifically designed for outdoor grows, is that assumption correct?

In response to the other posts, I would prefer not to grow autos really, I want more of a challenge and get a proper grow out of it, however I'm unsure if it's too risky growing photo type in UK.

You can do sedlings bye sunlight , but i prefer a lamp/light , it gets them out of the vulnerable seedling stage quicker , qicker better rooting etc , im sure you can buy a grow spectrum bulb which goes into a normal house lamp , that would do it cheaper . Also as bubbleguppie said you will need an osalating fan ,good airflow moving stale air is important forgot to mention that yesterday ........ Heating does lower humidity but i would imagine dampen the inside of your windows/poly etc , which wouldnt be good , but better than nothing ..... TBH mate your best option is a dehumidifier , with a fan .... I tried all the leaving window open , door open , without fan with fan , and it just didnt cut it .......... Dehumidifiers are built for the task and do it well , you can pick them up on gumtree for between £20-£60 and its not untill you lose a crop to rot you realise its worth every peny , tenfold . Boils down to , if you want to do it properly and get good results , then what you need realy . It works for me anyway lol

Hi,

**Looks like somebody moved my post here, maybe I posted in the wrong area**

I'm currently researching to start a grow next year, trying to plan the conditions and plants environment to ensure I get it right. I live in northern UK, and was initially thinking about using s greenhouse to grow, but struggling to get round the humidity issues cheaply. So I'm now thinking about a guerilla grow and have some questions you may be able to help with.

1) is the weather good enough in the north to allow guerilla grow to be successful?

2) if humidity is reduced to prevent buds getting wet and rotting, what's preventing rain water from rotting the buds?

3) can you grow photo period plants in the north or are we better off with autos

4) are there specific outdoor seeds you buy or are any acceptable to use?

5) any other advice, tips, or issues I would face please let me know :)

Thanks

Edited by Bigbob88
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Bigbob88 said:

Hi,

**Looks like somebody moved my post here, maybe I posted in the wrong area**

I'm currently researching to start a grow next year, trying to plan the conditions and plants environment to ensure I get it right. I live in northern UK, and was initially thinking about using s greenhouse to grow, but struggling to get round the humidity issues cheaply. So I'm now thinking about a guerilla grow and have some questions you may be able to help with.

1) is the weather good enough in the north to allow guerilla grow to be successful?

2) if humidity is reduced to prevent buds getting wet and rotting, what's preventing rain water from rotting the buds?

3) can you grow photo period plants in the north or are we better off with autos

4) are there specific outdoor seeds you buy or are any acceptable to use?

5) any other advice, tips, or issues I would face please let me know :)

Thanks

I dont know how far up north you are im at 51 lattitude ...... I beleive Autos are very popular the further north you go , for their earlier finishing time . There would be nothing stopping bud rot if the weather was continuously very wet bar from the mold resistance of the genetics of the strain your growing , training them may help with airflow to dry them if there phenos . You probably could do a early finishing pheno , but check out what the scottish and northen growers say , as they would know better than me ......... Theres loads of seeds designed to survive in the north european climate , google best outdoor strains UK , gets feminized ones  ........ Most guerilla growers would love to have a greenhouse i would imagine , for the extra shelter from the rain wind , so if you can , do it .You would get away with a parafin heater or the like , just not as good as a dehumidifier ..... Everyone in the UK doing outdoor at the moment is not too happy at the moment coz this weathers in danger of killing alot of crops with the damp n rain , where as the greenhouse growers are not so worried . So i guess that says alot realy ! Dont be dishartened tho its very doable in this country and with the right research and planning you will be fine .

• Like 1

Thanks mate, so I'd be no better off. I'm in latitude 53 I think. I'm just trying to think of alternatives to having to run a dehumidifier which is quite costly.

Edited by Bigbob88
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Bigbob88 said:

Thanks mate, so I'd be no better off. I'm in latitude 53 I think. I'm just trying to think of alternatives to having to run a dehumidifier which is quite costly.

Parafin heaters probably your cheepest option 

7 hours ago, Bigbob88 said:

I’ve only switched mine on for the last two weeks and I’ll run it for the next 2-3 weeks. Only cost £30 2nd hand. Not that costly considering the benefits :yinyang:

16 minutes ago, Oliffe said:

I’ve only switched mine on for the last two weeks and I’ll run it for the next 2-3 weeks. Only cost £30 2nd hand. Not that costly considering the benefits :yinyang:

It's the recurring cost I was thinking about really, just trying to make it as cheap as poss.

• Like 1

I have a small oil filled rad and I run a meaco low energy dehumidifier in my outside poly mostly during the dark hours to control the rh levels. Is useful during this current season of heavy rain. Reason being as I let temps drop by approx 5 degrees overnight to benefit the grow and try and reduce condensation levels on the cover. When temps lower, rh (relative humidity) will go up, so dehumidifier just helps to balance it out.

Takes a little tweaking and depends on the weather conditions on a daily/sometimes hourly basis due to no overall controller which could be an option.

I would say the rad is probably quite costly to run, but useful when lots of cloud cover in the day, or to avoid too low temps at night (which seems are on their way), so don't have it full on blasting.

The dehumidifier was not the cheapest to purchase, but very cheap to run and I have a pipe running to outside poly into drain off for continuous drain.

The dehumidifier blows out upward toward an oscillating fan in the top.

Mind you if you are under glass rather than poly, you may be able to have auto vents and a stat/humidistat, if you have power. I run an extension, just make sure its safely placed as water+electricity=bad times.

• Like 1