Newbie questions

Bigbob88

Hi all,

I live in northern UK and new to growing, I'll be growing outdoors within a greenhouse, currently doing a lot of research readying for next year. I have a number of questions from reading on this site, and others, that I thought you could help. 

1) I see everyone growing autos under glass, why is that?

2) is it a must to grow autos in UK weather? If so is it because of the lack of heat or lack of sun?

3) I'd like to grow Mr nice black widow, will this be difficult to get good yields for me?

4) any advice on good strains or tips in general would be appreciated :)

Thanks 

Edited by Bigbob88

most autos are done within 12 weeks from seed to finish. I've never grown any myself I have a friend that grows them and she said she's had two oz. off some plants she grew under glass

Plenty grow autos outside no problems. Never heard anything about black widow but think Mr nice generally have a good reputation. Plenty of choice for good autos these days. I just had a good result with a seed stockers BCN critical auto,real easy grow.

Some people had up to 6oz pp on autos.

1 hour ago, Bigbob88 said:

Hi all,

I live in northern UK and new to growing, I'll be growing outdoors within a greenhouse, currently doing a lot of research readying for next year. I have a number of questions from reading on this site, and others, that I thought you could help. 

1) I see everyone growing autos under glass, why is that?

2) is it a must to grow autos in UK weather? If so is it because of the lack of heat or lack of sun?

3) I'd like to grow Mr nice black widow, will this be difficult to get good yields for me?

4) any advice on good strains or tips in general would be appreciated :)

Thanks 

Have done the last two years under glass  and ten years outdoor 

1 ,,, People are doing autos outside and under glass , for their quick 3 month average finishing time , under glass just stops them getting soaked in summer rain , which at budding time can cause rot . 2,,,,, People also do normal phenos outside and under glass aswell , because phenos take longer and arnt ready on average till mid/late october again better under glass as the weather gets so shit and again the rain wont rot them or wind batter them . 3,,, I know nothing of Mr Nice black widow , but have met howard marks once . lol . But UK outdoor growers opt for earlyish finishing strains with mold resistance for outdoor , again to beat the climate . Green house is a little more flexible altho i wouldnt personaly do a late finishing sativa in one , but you probably could . 4,,,, Tips if your getting a greenhouse buy a medium sized dehumidifier to lower humidity levels (thats a must as greenhouses get realy humid , good pots (fabric i use 12L ) Good quality soil and neutriants (get them all the same make if you can as their designed to work best together) , research what strain is best for your needs , start them under a grow lamp if you can , the suns realy slow with seedlings ........ I do a run of autos in late april whilst veging phenos outside end of july , when the autos are baked in the greenhouse i move the phenos in to bud till mid october ........... Go for it , good luck with your plans 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Bodidley said:

Have done the last two years under glass  and ten years outdoor 

1 ,,, People are doing autos outside and under glass , for their quick 3 month average finishing time , under glass just stops them getting soaked in summer rain , which at budding time can cause rot . 2,,,,, People also do normal phenos outside and under glass aswell , because phenos take longer and arnt ready on average till mid/late october again better under glass as the weather gets so shit and again the rain wont rot them or wind batter them . 3,,, I know nothing of Mr Nice black widow , but have met howard marks once . lol . But UK outdoor growers opt for earlyish finishing strains with mold resistance for outdoor , again to beat the climate . Green house is a little more flexible altho i wouldnt personaly do a late finishing sativa in one , but you probably could . 4,,,, Tips if your getting a greenhouse buy a medium sized dehumidifier to lower humidity levels (thats a must as greenhouses get realy humid , good pots (fabric i use 12L ) Good quality soil and neutriants (get them all the same make if you can as their designed to work best together) , research what strain is best for your needs , start them under a grow lamp if you can , the suns realy slow with seedlings ........ I do a run of autos in late april whilst veging phenos outside end of july , when the autos are baked in the greenhouse i move the phenos in to bud till mid october ........... Go for it , good luck with your plans 

Thanks mate that answers alot for me :)

I'm going to struggle starting them indoors as I dont have a light or any indoor equipment. Is this a must?

I'm going to heat the greenhouse, will this help with the mould and late shitty weather conditions? I can't figure out if the lack of sun will be the problem or the lack of heat.

One question I forgot to ask, are guerilla seeds better to grow outdoors with? I'm linking the name to guerilla grow lol and assuming they're specifically designed for outdoor grows, is that assumption correct?

In response to the other posts, I would prefer not to grow autos really, I want more of a challenge and get a proper grow out of it, however I'm unsure if it's too risky growing photo type in UK.

Edited by Bigbob88
  • Like 1

Autos are still a challenge to grow well outside.  I wouldn't consider them a lesser plant and they certainly provide a 'proper grow'.  They are useful in being able to provide an early harvest and have progressed leaps and bounds in the last few years.  

However, if you have your heart set on pheno (and why not), then a greenhouse is a great way to do it, avoiding many of the biggest issues with outdoor grows (cold, wet and wind).  be warned, they can easily exceed the greenhouse dimensions - careful training will see to that.

RE starting indoors.  A simple T5 light doesnt cost much, takes up little space and is invaluable, not just for weed but also if you ever plan to start chilli, sweet peppers and toms etc which can also be used effectively to disguise your main plants.

Perhaps consider some of the earlier finishers to avoid the cold and dark evenings.  There are many types to consider and Dinafem have a few 'Quick' varieties that finish a week or two faster than there 'normal' sisters.  But really, in a GH you can grow anything excepting some of the longer sativas.

one thing i see that hasnt been mentioned is a oscillating fan for air flow, im a bit further south then most down at lat 49.2, this is my first year in the gh ive done a run of a couple of autos that i had a good yield out of (allthough run out now ). Ive got two real gorilla seeds left to finish up a fire 99, and a purkle. Both id say have a good 4 possibly 5 weeks left, I found with the fan circulating the air helps. As well as the heater, at the moment monies a bit tight as im recovering from heart surgeoery so a humidifier is out the question until next month.  How ever i have found that a good air flow and heat helps.  Before i started to run the heater i had my humidity hitting early to mid 90s (great years for music shit levels for growing weed ). But as i say after adding the heater this has reduced the humidty by almost 20 to 30 percent my night time humidity is now no more then late 60s (still a little high but he ( good luck with it dude , youre in the right place for information and experince

5 hours ago, M Pamplemousse said:

Autos are still a challenge to grow well outside.  I wouldn't consider them a lesser plant and they certainly provide a 'proper grow'.  They are useful in being able to provide an early harvest and have progressed leaps and bounds in the last few years.  

However, if you have your heart set on pheno (and why not), then a greenhouse is a great way to do it, avoiding many of the biggest issues with outdoor grows (cold, wet and wind).  be warned, they can easily exceed the greenhouse dimensions - careful training will see to that.

RE starting indoors.  A simple T5 light doesnt cost much, takes up little space and is invaluable, not just for weed but also if you ever plan to start chilli, sweet peppers and toms etc which can also be used effectively to disguise your main plants.

Perhaps consider some of the earlier finishers to avoid the cold and dark evenings.  There are many types to consider and Dinafem have a few 'Quick' varieties that finish a week or two faster than there 'normal' sisters.  But really, in a GH you can grow anything excepting some of the longer sativas.

Why do people start indoors? Is the heat the issue or sunlight? I can get round any heat issues with a heater you see. 

Regarding the size, I need to research how to keep the size down as my plan is to plant it in the ground.

Thanks mate

3 hours ago, bubbleguppie said:

one thing i see that hasnt been mentioned is a oscillating fan for air flow, im a bit further south then most down at lat 49.2, this is my first year in the gh ive done a run of a couple of autos that i had a good yield out of (allthough run out now ). Ive got two real gorilla seeds left to finish up a fire 99, and a purkle. Both id say have a good 4 possibly 5 weeks left, I found with the fan circulating the air helps. As well as the heater, at the moment monies a bit tight as im recovering from heart surgeoery so a humidifier is out the question until next month.  How ever i have found that a good air flow and heat helps.  Before i started to run the heater i had my humidity hitting early to mid 90s (great years for music shit levels for growing weed ). But as i say after adding the heater this has reduced the humidty by almost 20 to 30 percent my night time humidity is now no more then late 60s (still a little high but he ( good luck with it dude , youre in the right place for information and experince

I've been thinking I can tackle humidity by opening windows to allow air to travel through, and watering early doors. Also reducing the amount of soil visible to sunlight with pebbles above the ground where I'll be planting.

In your experience would this be surface or do I need a humidifier also?

@ison probably im not sure the misses pays the elcy bill well it goes out of her account my money goes into her account bills come out lol but on a serious note i can get a 20 litre silent one for 69 quid of one of the sale sights on that multi media book ;) i may do a sneaky buy when i get paid on the 3rd

42 minutes ago, Bigbob88 said:

Why do people start indoors? Is the heat the issue or sunlight? I can get round any heat issues with a heater you see. 

Regarding the size, I need to research how to keep the size down as my plan is to plant it in the ground.

Thanks mate

Several reasons.  One can control the environment more easily in a small box, tent, cupboard with a T5 and small fan (much cheaper than heating aGH).  Avoidance of pests.  Ive had rows of seedlings (sweet peppers) destroyed by a single slug overnight.  Can start real early in the year when the daylight length too low for outside. Im sure there are more reasons.  But thats not to say you cant start in a GH.  just more risky when fiver a seed.....