Roots in DWC??

Auto gorilla

Evening all I’m after some advice please, anyone who has experience in dwc. I moved my pair of seedlings into there main system as the diy starter box I made was getting abit warm. My main system has chiller plumbed into it, Temp is set to 20c on the chiller so temps fluctuate between 19.7-20.7 I think I left two much of a air gap between water line and bottom of net pots, the roots are looking shrivelled up and dark coloured above water line below water like they are bright white and look thick and healthy. Is this something to be worried about or normal?  

Couple pictures not the best quality sorry. 

large.C278FAEF-E016-45DF-ACEA-E9186CC002FB.jpeglarge.9EB26BA3-F29E-404A-826D-8576DB0F288C.jpeglarge.9B906AF9-F4F3-4956-8995-9D15034F256B.jpeglarge.107CC9D4-82FD-41EA-8B5D-4D399E6F8C13.jpeglarge.5E604212-CDB2-48C9-A773-C110E01088EE.jpeg

I have topped up the res so the roots are further covered now. Just panicking as it’s my first time dwc/hydro. 

Thanks in advance. 

I would bring the water level up to the bottom of the net pot for a few days......let the roots establish and then lower.

If the plant starts to look a little droopy then lower back to where you have it now :yep: (DO NOT SUBMERGE THE CROWN)

If you look at @The Padawan .....he has a fantastic picture of what your looking for in one of his diaries.....I just cant find it....Im sure he will oblige when he see's this :yep:

• Like 1

@zen-ken I have brought it up but it’s still not touching the nets yet I’m waiting in my RO water to fill up again it’s very slow. The lady’s are looking happy though and from what I’ve read so far I don’t think it’s root rot more staining from feed fingers crossed  I will have a browse through @Padawan diary if I can find it. 

Many thanks 

• Like 1

@The Padawan now that’s a root ball!! I’ve noticed the temps in my res were getting upto 21 before the chiller kicks back in so I’ve lowered it to 19c and this evening I will raise the water level in the res so it’s juts below the nets. Hope I haven’t messed these girls up already, from what I’ve seen I don’t think it’s root rot as that usually starts below the water line rather than above it. 

• Like 2

Notice how his roots come from all over the base of the net pot and not just from a couple of places like yours.

As the roots grow they will become concentrated in one or two spots and that's where root rot will strike - above the water line...

I would lower the water level and feed by hand from above until the roots are more established.

Putting plants into dwc too early before you have a good root system is a very common mistake.

• Like 2

You also have that really hairy picture were the roots have just come out and the net pot looks like cousin it @The Padawan

A fanatastic example (as is the one above) of what @stu914 is advising :yep:

What EC are you running bro ? Its unusal to have that much staining so early IME (may be worth showing the girl as well as this well help the guys to help you)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, The Padawan said:

large.IMG_20190612_193231.jpg

@zen-ken this is right before introducing them to the dwc. Hand fed up till this point

:bong:

Thats the badger.....If I need to show anyone what your net pot should look like before it goes in to RDWC/DWC ....this is the picture I show them :thumsup:

Top photo brother

• Like 4

1 hour ago, zen-ken said:

You also have that really hairy picture were the roots have just come out and the net pot looks like cousin it @The Padawan

A fanatastic example (as is the one above) of what @stu914 is advising :yep:

What EC are you running bro ? Its unusal to have that much staining so early IME (may be worth showing the girl as well as this well help the guys to help you)

Looks like I’ve gone into the system far to early then. 

My EC is quite low I started on 0.2 and now there the res is filled with 0.4 EC here’s a picture of them they look happy at the moment 

large.CC28328A-FF20-4686-989F-687B9698C3EE.jpeglarge.E7B76359-E435-463A-AD7B-2269A69A1F71.jpeg

these were taken just before lights on 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, stu914 said:

Notice how his roots come from all over the base of the net pot and not just from a couple of places like yours.

As the roots grow they will become concentrated in one or two spots and that's where root rot will strike - above the water line...

I would lower the water level and feed by hand from above until the roots are more established.

Putting plants into dwc too early before you have a good root system is a very common mistake.

Yes mine are looking far to immature for the system I really hope I haven’t messed them up as I have no more beans. 

I will start hand feeding from the top again try and get these roots outs. Live and learn I suppose 

• Like 3

See how the leaves are drooping? That's because the root system isn't large enough to support them,

keep the ec low and hand feed, you'll be fine, as Ken says, worry not...

• Like 2

@zen-ken fingers crossed. And it’s all part of learning new things I guess. 

Should have left them in there starting box longer I know for next time now. I was just worried about the roots being in mid air and drying out between hand watering. 

• Like 1