Just made RSO for first time

Jammo85

Wow I guess half of my street must of smelt me cooking that shit last night in the garden.!! 

Anyway ive followed Ricks Guide and cooked in rice cooker until the auto heat went off twice, then bubbling stops and smoke stops....

left with 14.8 grams 

now I’ve got to put in over for 30mins to finish it off..... does everyone do this stage? 

Will I lose much weight here in oven 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Jammo85 said:

and smoke stops

Is that part of the process mate? I don't think it's supposed to get that hot is it?

• Like 3

Just the few drops of water boiling off you add at the end according to Rick anyway   

(He says add 10 drops of water at the end to help boil of solvent residue, it’s steam morning smoke sorry @ratdog I should of been more clear)

Edited by Jammo85
(Clarifying my words)
  • Like 2

do you guys do the oven step after then? 

(After your finished in hot plate/rice cooker) 

Edited by Jammo85

My slow cooker on low goes to 110c which can decarb the oil before or after I do both.

i chuck the herb in the rice cooker while it’s hot for 15 minutes with the lid on. Weed gets to 110c and decarbs 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Jammo85 said:

do you guys do the oven step after then? 

(After your finished in hot plate/rice cooker) 

If you are talking about decarbing your oil, it is better to use an oil bath as you get better temperature control that way and get to watch for the CO2 bubbles to tail of so you know it's fully done.

Edited by Nuttyprof
  • Like 1

I haven’t got a slow cooker or a oil bath, should I still risk the oven?

ive made 2 batches - some to take for pain relief from the first two washe, then I tried a 3rd wash to make a cream for skin....

does the skin cream batch need decarbing as well or is it just for the stuff we ingest 

Edited by Jammo85

Induction hob is what I use with just a couple of inches of veg oil in a pan. I have my RSO in a stainless steel container (sugar canister) and stand this on 4 steel nuts placed in the veg oil. Heated to 120C checking with a thermometer until all the tiny bubbles cease which be around the 30 min mark.

I usually find I still have some trapped Iso in my RSO at the start  (large bubbles) so if you choose to do this in your kitchen ensure no flames/good ventilation for this to be safe.

I have used the oven before, checking with the same laser thermometer but have never been confident of a complete decarb using that method and the oil never seemed as powerful as what I produce nowadays.

Edited by Nuttyprof
  • Like 1

Ok thank you

(I’m in middle of the oven now, wow it stinks, not a fan of the smell) 

surely it be easier to heat the buds first? 

Less mess anyway? 

Still stink I bet? 

Any tips on getting the oil out of containers seems very sticky!! 

Must lose some every time I empty into a container, (didn’t have a metal container to hand last night) 

30 minutes ago, Jammo85 said:

Any tips on getting the oil out of containers seems very sticky!! 

Freeze it mate, then peel it off perhaps? does depend on the container.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Jammo85 said:

surely it be easier to heat the buds first? 

Many people do decarb the bud first, maybe it is easier but I would imagine even more nice niffs...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jammo85 said:

Just the few drops of water boiling off you add at the end according to Rick anyway   

(He says add 10 drops of water at the end to help boil of solvent residue, it’s steam morning smoke sorry @ratdog I should of been more clear)

you sure 10? isn't it for when you making from a pound of weed? I never use water but did at the beginning 2-3 drop

what solvent have you used? try to make these extractions on shitty days when everyone is inside and windows shut,not on the hottest day of the year mate,stay safe

+ if using IPA that horrible chemical smell it gives people might assume you cooking all sorts ......

Edited by joba
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, ratdog said:

Freeze it mate, then peel it off perhaps? does depend on the container.

Oooo you little legend!! Thanks mate will try that! What a messy game this Oil is. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Nuttyprof said:

Many people do decarb the bud first, maybe it is easier but I would imagine even more nice niffs...

Hhhmmm people warned of the harvest being the smelliest......I’d say this oil making process tops that by a country mile. 

Going to have to go back to drawing board here for the next time. Can’t stink my house out like this, every man and his dog will know what I’m up too (friends/family....,Christ even neighbours lol) 

• Like 1