Cheap and cheerful CMH

Dodgee

I'm still in the park a minute soz. Try swapping the lampholder wires over.

I'm not certain if it applies with the g12 fitting but sometimes with CMH the live/neutral have to be specific. 

If you look at the diagram on the ballast it says live to the left.

Doesn’t look right to me how the live and neutral go into terminals adjacent to each other 

most of the time the earth is connected to the middle and live and neutral to to either side

i haven’t wired one before but it doesn’t look right to me

can you use a multimeter to check if the two terminals are connected together I think they will be and that’s why the fuse blows 

• Like 2

Advanced issues found

9 minutes ago, Davey Jones said:

Doesn’t look right to me how the live and neutral go into terminals adjacent to each other 

most of the time the earth is connected to the middle and live and neutral to to either side

I thought that as well mate until I saw this on the Phillips website

philips-hid-pv-c-150-i-cdm-220-240v-50-60hz-for-150w_8711500912879-30.jpg

• Like 2

I have a few 70w versions of the same ballast. The only difference i can see in the wiring is you have the live and neutral wires reversed. I have the brown in the first hole and blue in the second.

25 minutes ago, Geo said:

I have a few 70w versions of the same ballast. The only difference i can see in the wiring is you have the live and neutral wires reversed. I have the brown in the first hole and blue in the second.

I think this is it.

Live /brown to the left, blue to the right. If you look at the vision ballast in my first post it's wired the same.

I'm still in the bloody park but my battery about to die so we be going home soon I know lol

Thanks so much for all the posts and help. Glad to see this place is just as awesome as I remember it to be. 

Davey Jones got it though - you were right mate. The two on the left are joined and the two on the right are joined internally.

So all working now, with this being the correct way to wire these Philips HID-PV 150 C /I CDM large.5d41c7abf3b4b_correctphilipswiring.jpg

The wiring diagram threw me, because it looks like they're showing the outer two connected. 

Again, much appreciated; thanks for all the help :D

Sub

• Like 3

Nice find man, look forward to seeing them in action. I’ve got a 1.5x1.5 tent with 4x 315 lec. It gets very hot in there man! Especially when the flower (red) bulbs are in. But with the roof space that might help. Wonder if the 4 Lec reflectors will fit flush in the roof space. 

Odd for Philips to put the wrong diagram on the case?  Or maybe we all just reading it wrong! lol

I'm certainly no leccy expert that much is certain!

Least it's working now. And I know how to do mine without blowing a fuse now, tidy!

Nice1 Davey

• Like 1

Out with the old 115W CFL array:

large.5d41ccec0b748_115WCFL.jpg

...and in with the new 150W 4200K bulb. I want to try a couple autos out under this, then switch to the 3K bulb and grow some more - see what happens

large.5d41ccf3afd99_150WCMH.jpg

• Like 4

These lamps usually have to be fully enclosed inside a fitting in case the envelope ruptures. Worst case is molten metal at 1000C going everywhere ;)

• Like 1

Do I win a mars bar or what lollollol

I have been out of the game almost as long as I was in it now, still got it lollol 

• Like 1

lol If I was allowed to ask where to send it, I'd sort you out a 4-pack of Mars bars for that one Davey :D 

So I went ahead and found a 400W Halogen floodlight, designed to take a R7S bulb. Five quid at Toolstation, quite a lot for the money really.

A little modification left me with this (the bar at the back is still needed to bolt the reflector in place, so just rip the R7S ceramics off once you take the bolts out):

large.1.jpg

Be REALLY careful tightening up the bolts on these ceramic fittings - I barely nipped the first one up and the ceramic broke. Good job I bought a pack of 4!

Caphead bolts are easiest (M4 size) - there's no space for spanners or sockets (couldn't even fit a basic washer on the bolt) and a nylon locking nut:

large.2.jpg

Reflector back in and bulb - OK, it's not perfectly level due to the slant on the side of the luminaire, but it's really not far out. the aluminium casing isn't too far from being square.

Other things to note, the foam rubber seal came out quite easily. I ended up supergluing it back in. Also the springs on the lampholders are quite tight. Difficult to swap bulbs once it's inside the enclosure, but I am hopeful that they will loosen up after a bit of use. 

large.3.jpg

I just need to find some time to fit some hooks and hang it now. Might have to wait until the wardrobe's done and I'll shift everything over.

Edited by subwoofer
bolt size
  • Like 3

On 31/07/2019 at 6:46 PM, Davey Jones said:

Do I win a mars bar or what lollollol

I have been out of the game almost as long as I was in it now, still got it lollol 

Having seen a little bit of your actual "work" I'd be a lot more surprised if you couldn't work out how to wire a poxy lighting ballast mucka! lol

Don't sell yourself short man :yep:

Great work on the reflector @subwoofer

Looks a proper solid job that!

Atb :yinyang:

• Like 2