1st seed grow, SDG

Leafneck

12 hours ago, Leafneck said:

Couple of questions,  

When shall I start the 20/4 or 18/6 light cycle ? (18/6 will be my chosen veg light cycle but I saw somewhere to do 20/4 for young seedlings ) 

Personally I would switch to 18/6 now mate, you'll get varied views on this. Some growers will say stay on 20/4 or even 24/0 but photoperiod strain need a dark period even in veg and best to get them on the light regime your going to use (18/6) as soon as possible  :yep:

12 hours ago, Leafneck said:

When do I start to ph my feed 

And when do I start my 1st week of veg nutes ? 

When do you start to ph your feed? I assume you are referring to just the water being used at the moment? As you are not using feed. 

You want to set your ph right from the start mate. So now :yep:

As to when to start veg feed. Also now mate but start of at 1/4 the recommended strength and increased to full strength over the next few weeks. Watching how the plants react  ;)

Will you be monitoring you ppm/ec values along with ph levels? 

All the best  :bong:

Mark..

Edited by Dinafem-Mark
  • Like 4

@Dinafem-Mark thankyou for the education mark , hopefully this diary will help a noob seedie like myself at some point .

I've had an hours read on light sceduales and I'll be going for 18/6 as this is what I used my first grow, I've put the timer in the room half hour ago.

At the moment I'm using a small amount of vitalink plant start along with vitalink evolition spray , and I also introduced a small amount of root stim,  which I havent been ph'ing as I was unsure at such a young stage for the seedling if ph'ing was required.

From tomorrow ill print off my feed chart and slowly introduce my a&b.

I won't be monitoring the ec ppm on this grow. 

Noticed a root poking out another jiffy so that shall be potted up tomorrow, as for the drinking cups they all have a few roots poking out the drainage holes but I won't be potting those up yet .. maybe I'll inspect one the weekend .

Thankyou again mark.

• Like 3

Just now, Leafneck said:

Thankyou again mark.

My pleasure mate  :yep:

I would say they will be good in those pots for another 7 day's maybe 10 then a pot up will be needed :)

Until next time  :bong:

All the best 

Mark..

Edited by Dinafem-Mark
  • Like 2

Couple days early potting up but only chance I'll have over next few days.

Week 2 from germination tomorrow, all 11 still growing, 2 a little slow but there has been development the last 3 days with those .

I've potted up into 2litre pots now.
I introduced the hps light at 250w setting yesterday doing 18/6 hours which has given me a steady 26 degrees but a RH of 30% lights on so I have now put a small humidifier in the room .

From today I've started my week 1 of veg on the BLOOM yellow bottle feed sceduale, PH will be kept at 6.0 & I'll introduce the nutes at 50% strength and increase slightly every 2 days and I plan to stay at 75% recommended unless the plants ask for more.

Intake running at 20% , out take at 30% to get some fresh air flowing through .

large.20190517_194508_compress10.jpglarge.20190517_194749_compress51.jpglarge.20190517_201857_compress81.jpg
Thanks for looking in , will update next few days when they start filling out their new pots 

• Like 6

@Leafneck That's really impressive root growth in such a short time and perfect timing for a pot up  :yep:

I know you've gone to 2l pots now, I assume you'll be doing 1 or maybe 2 more repotting before you enter bloom.

What will be your next pot size mate?

And what size will be your finish pot size? 

Looking good from here my friend  :yep:

Mark..

Edited by Dinafem-Mark
  • Like 2

They have taken very well to their new 2 litre pots and alot more new growth , I've been working away since Saturday so other half been taking care of them . I'll pot remaining 2 up Wednesday and give a update with pictures.  

I know it's frowned up on by many but I'll give the 2 litres 2 weeks to root these pots out then I'll put them into 25 litre wilma pots and give them 2/3 weeks to fill out before I flip to 12/12

Works for many and worked fine for me 1st grow so I'll be doing this method. 

Untill next time , take care

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Leafneck said:

I know it's frowned up on by many but I'll give the 2 litres 2 weeks to root these pots out then I'll put them into 25 litre wilma pots and give them 2/3 weeks to fill out before I flip to 12/12

That's not frowned upon by me mate. Its a solid plan which has worked for many growers over the year's  ;)

Sounds like a plan to me :yep:

Mark..

• Like 2

Little photo update, 3 days away from completing week 2 since germination .

2 days away from completing week 1 of veg . From now on I'll only state how long from Veg not germination. 

They have taken well to their new pots . 

When I potted up I left the 2 slow ones in their drinking cups . Tonight I potted those 2 into the 2 litre pots that the other 9 are in. 1 was rooted very well the other not so well but all 11 still alive and well.

A couple leaves have burn marks where I was a little careless or tipsy feeding . 

large.20190522_202502_compress13.jpg

Group photo under 1x 250w hps. 

large.20190522_202541_compress63.jpgthe tallest, I'll keep and eye on her 

large.20190522_202510_compress1.jpg

The gorilla , no doubt she will catch up in height before flipping .

Very soon I'll be placing half of the pots under a separate hps light at 250w so they have room .

Enjoying this much more than my first grow , and I've missed that lovely smell when you open the door .

• Like 4

Week 1 of veg done , 

Week 2 from tomorrow morning and I'll be using week 2 veg on feed chart at 75% strength . Pots still feel a little heavy  right now so I'll feed in morning .

I'll be separating the pots in to 2 halfs and using a second hps light at 250w for more equal space.

large.20190525_194408_compress46.jpglarge.20190525_194527_compress3.jpgfilling out at a fast pace and all pots have roots at bottom . So around 7-10 days id imagine before potting up into final pots and running wilma system .

large.20190525_194619_compress95.jpglarge.20190525_194614_compress63.jpggorilla looking healthy , very short internodes but if like to grow this amongst 7 of the SDG.

large.20190525_194446_compress28.jpg

Now the SDG , really fat main stem. But I'm scared these will grow informally tall girls in the 25 litre pots , with the wilma system it will be hard to train them as space between pots and surround plants isn't alot and for that reason I'd of preferred 1 main cola but I am weighing up my options and I may consider topping them once (neber done this) to try keep height under control ? 

Anyone know what the stretch is like when flipped ? 

Thankyou 

• Like 5

Growing dinafems sweet deep grapefruit, from what I've read she stretches 1.5x once flipped , they have only gone 2 days into the 2nd week of veg currently in 2litre pots and I want to flower in 25 litre pots .

I want to flip around 50cm so they stop at around 1.5m once stretched. 

So I'm hoping that topping slows the veg height down.

I only have 2.1 metre height iirc and using hps lights I'd like to try keep a distance  from top of plants as i had heat stress on my last grow.

I've read topping can reduce height and increase yield on majority of strains , I'd like to give this a go. 

I have considered supercropping and training but using a wilma system it's difficult to do so as the pots are pretty close together as it is.

I've attached a few photos of the girls , could someone kindly draw a line across where to cut as I'm not too confident in beheading lol

Also anyone had experience topping the sdg strain?

large.20190527_121029_compress14.jpglarge.20190527_121021_compress76.jpglarge.20190527_120949_compress38.jpglarge.20190527_120915_compress94.jpg

• Like 3

On 27/05/2019 at 0:44 PM, Leafneck said:

I want to flip around 50cm so they stop at around 1.5m once stretched. 

Sounds like a plan mate :yep:

SDG stretch is easily manageable and topping will definitely help  ;)

Plenty of height to play with :yep:

Looking good from here my friend  :headbang:

Mark..

• Like 2

I topped 1 of the plants and I'll learn from that 1 if topping is something I'll do on this strain next grow , but the girls are getting tall now so hoping to pot up Sunday. 

large.20190529_183037_compress3.jpg

How's best to check the root ball ? Went to tip a plant upside down and wiggle pot off and then lots of coco tried to fall out so mission abort lol best for coco to be dry?

• Like 3

Spent the last 3 hours potting up into finals, setting wilma drip system up , 3rd lights now on too.

Yesterday I topped 2 of the sdgas they was out growing the others and I want the plant to grow outwards more, I'll top the others once over the potting up shock.

large.20190530_202431_compress92.jpglarge.20190530_202304_compress68.jpglarge.20190530_202419_compress92.jpglarge.20190530_202312_compress97.jpg

Potted up from 2 litre pots to the final 25 litre pots , roots was full and healthy.

I was around 10 litres shy on coco for the 8th pot so will sort that tomorrow.

large.20190531_181906_compress51.jpglarge.20190531_175202_compress26.jpglarge.20190531_204923_compress30.jpglarge.20190531_204935_compress83.jpg

Gorrila at the back left as you look at the picture ,

All looking healthy. a quick question, shall i top my other plants now while I've transplanted them ? Just thinking if they are in a little shock or stress then 2 birds 1 stone.. I might aswell top the remainders 

• Like 4

On 31/05/2019 at 9:33 PM, Leafneck said:

looking healthy. a quick question, shall i top my other plants now while I've transplanted them ?

I would my friend that way they can recover from both the topping and transplant shock :yep:

2l to 25l is a big pot up and is going to produce some monster size plants. Can I ask

How long do you plan on growing/vegging(18/6) these ladies? 

Also with topping. Not every plant or strain will react well, why don't you top half and leave half untopped to grow more naturally? 

Just a thought my friend  :yep:

A great and detailed update mate  :headbang:

Keep em coming :yep:

Mark...

• Like 2

Never did the update Saturday so I'm 2 days late but it was the end of week 2 of veg . Couple days on (today, monday) they seem to have recovered from the transplant and topping. 

I topped 5 SDG , left the gorilla alone as it's half the size of the sdg. 

2 untapped SDG which in hoping can remain untopped for comparison so hopefully they don't shoot up and become a height issue now. 

large.20190603_201311_compress0.jpggorrila , couple burns on a few leaves from clumsy feeding but no more of that now its in the wilma system.

large.20190603_201234_compress42.jpglarge.20190603_201219_compress69.jpg2 of the topped girls .

large.20190603_201354_compress21.jpg

Going to make some huge leaves !! 

A little curling upwards of the leaves as lights are a tad close as I'm trying to avoid them stretching . 

I will give alot better photos and updates weekly now unless a problem accrues and I seek advice . 

Mark I hope to veg for 2 more weeks so the roots have had time to explore , maybe flip a week Saturday.. we will see .

Untill Saturday,  take care 

• Like 3