Recommended brands of Coco Coir

InTheSystem

I was just wondering what peoples experiences are with different brands of coir? I have used Canna Pro+ for some years and to be honest I can't fault it - great quality and minimal preparation needed with it.. However, recently I had to grab a couple of bags of brands I have not used before from a local grow shop and I really was not happy with the quality of the coir... They had contaminates, shit loads of dusty fibres (coco peat) as opposed to large fibres and it was really far out on the buffer. I had to put 5x the volume of the water through the medium before it was coming in at a natural PH of coir (around 6.4). After this experience, it got me wondering what are the decent quality brands out there you can buy without having to sieve, pre rinse and buffer to the extreme? :) 

Ecothrive with charge is what i have just used mate, no complaints at all really nice and fluffy

I used canna pro+ for quite a while too with no issues then i got quite a lot of salt rocks in 1 bag so gave it a miss

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bubbly82 said:

Ecothrive with charge is what i have just used mate, no complaints at all really nice and fluffy

I used canna pro+ for quite a while too with no issues then i got quite a lot of salt rocks in 1 bag so gave it a miss

Nice mate, never heard of that stuff but it looks like great quality coir. Will see if there is a supplier for Europe where I am as I don't live in the UK any more.

2 hours ago, monkeypig said:

https://www.growandharvest.co.uk/product/ugro-xl-coco-block-rhiza/

I've been getting this in last few goes just based on the space saving. You could literally have 10 packs of Ugro in the space of one normal 50l bag. You need a suitable sized container to re hydrate it into.

Nice.. Not heard of these also, but I can get hold of these pretty easily online with free postage - might have to give these a go! Are you having to just rehydrate this coco? No pre rinsing and removing all the coco peat (dust) from it?

• Like 1

I believe I got a dose of springtails with my Ecothive coco this time around.  No complaints apart from that.  Not sure what comparable brands there are.

• Like 1

Always used Canna, recently noticed the quality is not where it was. Some unbreakable lumps, grit etc. It just doesn't seem the same quality as a few years ago.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheGr33nMan said:

i am going too try Cellmax pro coco this round

Yo buddy,  thanks for posting - will have a look at that, not a coir I am familiar with

42 minutes ago, grooving said:

I believe I got a dose of springtails with my Ecothive coco this time around.  No complaints apart from that.  Not sure what comparable brands there are.

I have seen Canna+, Bio Bizz, Atami, Top Crop (shit), Cannabiogen(shit), cheap bricks which I would not touch with a barge pole and some notable suggestions in this thread :) I mean I would not mind, but considering these coirs cost the same or more than the ones I have buying which just take a quick rinse with some balanced water, compared to having to sieve through 150 to 300l of coir to get all the crap out of it, it is a no brainer looking for a more friendly alternative.

38 minutes ago, frankie-smiles said:

Always used Canna, recently noticed the quality is not where it was. Some unbreakable lumps, grit etc. It just doesn't seem the same quality as a few years ago.

I am with you on this tbh - this is how this post came about as when my local hydro shop did not have Canna+, rather than go home and order online with a mere day or max 2 to wait, after having a couple of bags which needed a bit more prep recently - I thought I would try some other brands thinking I could find something better, only to be highly disappointed using it as it as it was Canna, which resulted in causing some plant distress through ph way off... Have you tried anything besides Canna?

Edited by InTheSystem
  • Like 2

I use plagron and no issues yet. I originally used the blocks becuase they were more discreet to transport but got annoyed with having to soak them and wait to use so moved to the bag stuff.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, zinc said:

I use plagron and no issues yet. I originally used the blocks becuase they were more discreet to transport but got annoyed with having to soak them and wait to use so moved to the bag stuff.

Thanks for posting - I have seen Plagron bags and dried bricks in some online stores I can use. I have been using the Perlite from them lately and have been happy with the price/quality so definitely one I will consider trying.

Edited by InTheSystem
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, InTheSystem said:

Thanks for posting - I have seen Plagron bags and dried bricks in some online stores I can use. I have been using the Perlite from them lately and have been happy with the price/quality so definitely one I will consider trying.

I don't have anything to compare it to so take my recommendation with a pinch of salt. Seems alright to me though :skin_up:

• Like 1

Just now, zinc said:

I don't have anything to compare it to so take my recommendation with a pinch of salt. Seems alright to me though :skin_up:

You say you have had no issues so I have faith in your recommendation alongside some personal experience with that brand, I mean the coco I used recently I pre-soaked/balanced and still had huge PH swings (putting it in at 6 and run off 10 or higher). Coco is 6.3/6.4 lol 

Edited by InTheSystem

Never used anything but canna and those compressed bricks once lol too much prep for me. I find canna ph good, and its free from bugs - I've used soil before and holy shit - fungus gnat heaven in my tent ha ha. Canna lately just seems like its less "processed" if you will. Slightly coarser with lumps and grit or salt rocks as someone mentioned - never occurred to me it was salt but yeah that is what it looks like on closer inspection. Salt doesn't sound good though :ouch:

E2A

Anyone used that DNA coco cork stuff? DNA Ultimate COCO its called.

Edited by frankie-smiles
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, frankie-smiles said:

Never used anything but canna and those compressed bricks once lol too much prep for me. I find canna ph good, and its free from bugs - I've used soil before and holy shit - fungus gnat heaven in my tent ha ha. Canna lately just seems like its less "processed" if you will. Slightly coarser with lumps and grit or salt rocks as someone mentioned - never occurred to me it was salt but yeah that is what it looks like on closer inspection. Salt doesn't sound good though :ouch:

E2A

Anyone used that DNA coco cork stuff? DNA Ultimate COCO its called.

Yes I find a lot of these companies seem to have produced great products but over the years have declined steadily... Not sure if it due to demands being way higher globally and quality control being less monitored as a result. I am happy to pay a little more for something I can un-bag, shove in a pot, buffer with balanced water (or not even that) and not have to worry about all these factors mostly around PH.. As opposed to clogging up my shower with a colander or having to go to a mates garden.

Edited by InTheSystem
  • Like 2