Greenhouse Autos 2019

Redrum3

Just now, beezee said:

Don't pot up the quick kush yet, leave it root out the pot it's in first or you risk damaging it. 

I potentially could damage it more if its reached the false bottom and roots are getting entwined in the reservoir below?

There's no way to tell how far the roots have gotten.  Poor choice of first pot. 

• Like 2

@redrum3 - Morning chap,

The greenhouse gas vents are thermofor thermoforce window openers. They're on amazon for £20.99 each. My old vents had lasted over 30+ years so well worth the investment! 

I dont think I would bother with a CF in a greenhouse personally - although I am pretty tucked away, I dont want the greenhouse looking like a grow room set up for growing nug - should someone know what a carbon filter looks like, it gives the game away. Even with 2,3 or 4 6ft monsters in there - they blend well and camouflage with the tomatoes and cucumbers and whatever else I can get my hands on.

Albeit risky, i've even had the postie wander around the back to leave parcels in the greenhouse whilst i've been growing in previous years. Im sure if I had additional wiring and fans and filters it would of been blatantly obvious if it wasn't already! :pirate: Ill make him walk the plank if he opens his scurvy looking mouth. :P

Cheers! 

Atb,

LP

Edited by lattitudepirate1
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Redrum3 said:

I potentially could damage it more if its reached the false bottom and roots are getting entwined in the reservoir below?

There's no way to tell how far the roots have gotten.  Poor choice of first pot. 

I'd go with 5-6 weeks in a 3l pot. Any less and all the compost will fall apart damaging roots nearest the plant. Roots in the reservoir won't be so much of a problem, they'll regrow fine.

• Like 3

Nice one @lattitudepirate1,  thermoforce via prime tomorrow! Hehe! 

@beezee  I will take heed of your advice and hold off. 

I think the quick kush is 5 weeks from germination this weekend ( roughly). I'll post a couple of pics later for an updated look at her :)

Cheers

Red 

P.s. @lattitudepirate1 Im a Chapette ;)

• Like 3

Hey @Redrum3 I can't wait to see your pics.  I'm another chapette here so glad to have another greenhouse growing chapette learning here at same time as me x

• Like 1

large.20190426_195159-907x1612.jpglarge.20190426_195235-907x1612.jpglarge.20190426_195257-907x1612.jpg

Quick Kush pics!

I think she's doing alright considering Ive only been using a £5 45w led lamp, nothing fancy! on a timer for 17hr/day. 

20cm tall from the soil and 20cm wide up top.

@Happyeccentric  Ohh! Awesomeness! 

• Like 6

I was chatting to someone today and he is a very keen gardener! Has a massive allotment.

So I told him about my Gh and my veg, fruits and flowers Ive got on the go. 

I told him I was interested in flowers with strong smells and he suggested the following: 

Nicotiana sylvestris 

Verbena bonariensis

Thalictrum

Just thought Id share the info ;)

• Like 4

Nicotinia will survive ,much like geraniums over a warm winter ,and they do smell nice , not terrible strong but some varieties might . Verbena is nice ,it's in lots of soaps ,but can get gangly and hard to get a patch or colony of it on the floor ,even in a border ,a sheltered spot other weeds crowd it out generally . Philadelphus is one of my favourite smelling flowers ,a shrub though . Gypsophilia smells awful ,marguerite too . Some nice scented sweet pea ,simple as pissing . 

The autos look great ,a bit early but no harm and no harm start a few more next week ! 

All the best . 

• Like 5

Your pics look great to me but I killed off.my first few.   I have upped my fragrant plants this year and planted honeysuckle,  lavender, sweet peas and am hunting down a jasmine.   I also added some clematises in and have put some garlic into my veg patch to see how much smells I can create.   

• Like 2

I love the smell of nicotiana in the evening, same as honeysuckle. They're pollinated by moths, so only smell nice at dawn and dusk. 

• Like 7

Just now, beezee said:

They're pollinated by moths, so only smell nice at dawn and dusk. 

I never knew that.  That's amazing.   

• Like 2

Thats interesting about the nicotiana. As a tobacco smoker (shoot me now, i'm sorry, please allow me to stay) I sewn my own seed back in early Feb with the intentions of harvesting, curing and rolling my own cigars for special occasions. 

I believe the cultivar is Nicotiana Tobacum with pink flowers. I hope she smells good too, as i've got over 200 plants i've potted on to find gaps for in the garden! Any one know if the pink flowering tobacum species smells good? 

• Like 3

@lattitudepirate1 I grew a white flowered tobacco variety a couple of years ago, I was really disappointed there was no smell at all from the flowers. 

You can buy amber leaf and golden Virginia seeds depending on which you prefer or grow both and blend them together ;)

• Like 1

@beezee Cheers for that info bud - thats disappointing, I think these were golden virginia... They came off Fleabay for something ridiculous like 79p for 3 grams of seeds which works out to be in the 10s of thousands! I thought I had sewn them thinly enough (even when mixed with sand to help thin the sow). I have enough seed left over to last me a life time providing it stays viable. 

So far i've pricked out about 100 from seed trays to pots and containers and still have several very full A4 sized seed trays packed and desperate to be pricked out. Friend of mine is a gardener and has been selling them for £1 each. 'Get'churrrrr pink solanaceae plants! Paaaaaand a pop'. Probably have 400 or so left spare to try flog or fob off! 

Cheers! 

LP

• Like 2

Hi troops! 

Im back from my hols! 

Didnt go far, just Orkney... beautiful beaches! Loved it. 

Went to the Italian chapel...  I didnt even know there were prisoners of war there, making Churchill's barriers. 

Ssooo I managed to fit the thermoforce to my gh window before I left and Im impressed with it. Will probably buy another for the other window. So thanks @lattitudepirate1 for the suggestion of which product. 

I also received my solar panel usb fan today, now its cloudy and still runs a gentle breeze... so hopefully that'll help reduce rot etc. 

My quick kush has loved being in the gh, stalks are getting thick and has grown in height. 

Bubba kush has burst through the soil and looks okay...

Now for the bad news... 

Im not sure whats happened to my critical 2.0 as Ive been away, I guess its just dried out and died? 

Ive sprayed with water to see if its salvageable, the stem looks okay, just the leaf part. 

Its a shame if its dead, Ive only got spare bubba seeds (2), it would be nice to have a selection. 

Nice to read about the tobacco plantation thats going on... I dont smoke tobacco but I like the thought of the crop. 

large.20190504_135820-907x1612.jpglarge.20190504_135835_crop_453x453.jpglarge.20190504_135910-907x1612.jpg

• Like 4