Critical Jack & OG Kush fully automatic in a bramble bush!

bigbadbudboi

On 07/05/2019 at 11:04 PM, bigbadbudboi said:

Right it's been a busy couple of weeks after the itch got to me and after too much time laying awake thinking about it I got up at 3am last Wednesday morning and gathered my equipment in the dark ready to set the stage for the seeds to fulfil their destiny! 

Hard at work getting the plot ready for the babies  :yep:

Nice to read your trying different methods for transplanting the autos out. In general they have their roots being disturbed but youve got 2 methods that should limit this :)

Will be interesting to see which method works the best :bong:

Thanks for the weekly outdoor update mate  :yep:

All the best 

Mark. 

Edited by Dinafem-Mark
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

@Andromedian  Too many strains not enough time man! Iv got a box full of seeds in the fridge but most of them I bought when growing indoors so the flowering times are all a bit risky. This year iv got 6 different auto strains, 6 different fems with half being early finishers and then my usual 2 seeds from each of 8 regulars so I will hopefully be casually cropping from middle of August until early November if the weathers kind. Last year I had to chop it all in a few days when the weather turned and then the drying gets confusing but at least I can do it all on site which makes it easier.

Your plants are looking awesome dude, i can't believe how big you've got em! :thisbig: Are you gonna top or train them or are they just gonna get fooking massive?! All the best!!

• Like 2

@Dinafem-Mark   Cheers for looking in man, it's been a tale of 2 halves this week with one strain doing really well for me and the other having no luck at all! What has certainly shown in the last week is that the pot in a pot method works better for when the weather changes here and someone turns the heat up :sweaty:  

The photo below is of all the 6 auto strains I currently have growing together and you can clearly see that the Critical Jack in the bigger pot is the happiest out of all of them. She has really impressed me with her growth rate, the fastest plant out of all the 40 seeds I have planted this season....

large.IMG_5939.jpg

Unfortunately the seedling in the other big pot is the remaining OG Kush (with the seed I planted in the smaller pot failing to show) that has had a very bad start to life and then continued its run of bad luck so much so that I have decided to find a space to retire the small OG from the race, maybe in my vegetable garden if she will keep discreet :ninja:  So to keep my OG dreams alive and because the Critical Jack has impressed me so much I have done gone and planted some more seeds all in pots in pots...

large.IMG_5959.jpg

Il keep 2 spaces open in my main plot for the OG's and hopefully they will get on better than the last 2 and I will get to try this legendary strain! I planted out both Critical Jacks today as well as the other plants in the picture above so I will still get some comparison between the 2 transplanting methods but I'm already leaning towards the pot in a pot method. The only downside so far is the pots take up much more space and you have to be more on the ball with watering but hopefully it will be worth the extra effort...

Edited by bigbadbudboi
  • Like 5

So first of all what happened to the OG Kush to stunt her so?! Well after 5 days both Critical Jacks came up no problem and then the following day the OG in the bigger pot broke surface but with it's shell still on. It then grew over an inch tall and stayed like that with shell stuck on for a couple of days and after a lot of umming and ahhhing I thought bollocks I'm gonna have to take the shell off. Iv done this a few times with mixed success, so I got my tweezers and a tooth pick and gently fucked about with it until I managed to ease the shell off and after an hour or 2 it looked alright!! Here's some pics..

large.IMG_5906.jpglarge.IMG_5911.jpg

From this close up you can see where I damaged the cotyledons getting the shell of but she was doing alright and keeping up with the Critical Jacks for a while...

large.IMG_5918.jpglarge.IMG_5920.jpg

Then a day later I woke up early and went down to the kitchen to check on the plants only to find this....

large.IMG_5924.JPG

My misses neglected to put all the cats out that night and then when one of them needed a shit in the early hours it decided the baby OG Kush's pot could be the place to do it :furious:   So I spent the next few days giving evils to cats and misses alike and the OG Kush has struggled on since then, poor little bugger, fucking cats!! 

Thankfully the Critical Jacks have been cruising along and I had more OG seeds so I'm gonna do my best to care for and protect the rest from feline threats and hopefully get some OG to smoke at the end of the season!

That was the story of the poor OG, next up the plant out of the Critical Jacks....

• Like 8

1 hour ago, bigbadbudboi said:

fucking cats!! 

Must admit, I love cats...

although sometimes they can be annoying little Baaaastads,

My old cat used to spray up my guitar amp, while I was playing it.

Ha ha yeah mate, our plants are bigger than I thought they would be.

Half of them have already been topped twice, we started them in February. Just hoping they all come home....

you know how it is.....not over until its in the jars:skin_up:

Be lucky mate

• Like 3

Great looking plot mate and I'm sure the secret weapon will cancel the negatives sandy soil brings.

Nice to see the comparisons with germination and transplanting methods. The pots with slots cut out work great, I've used them before ;)

Best of luck and I hope you get to smoke plenty of that OG you're yearning :yep:

• Like 3

On 22/05/2019 at 5:31 PM, bigbadbudboi said:

My misses neglected to put all the cats out that night and then when one of them needed a shit in the early hours it decided the baby OG Kush's pot could be the place to do it :furious:   So I spent the next few days giving evils to cats and misses alike and the OG Kush has struggled on since then, poor little bugger, fucking cats!! 

Well this is not the direction I thought the story was going lol

Ooppps , sometimes when nature calls needs must. Don't be to harsh on the cat mate ;)

I'm sorry but this has has me in stitches lol

I can sort some OG if needed buddy and time permits. Just drop me a PM  :yep:

All the best  :bong:

Mark..

• Like 2

@Rick Grimes  Cheers man, I grew an Auto Critical Jack last year and it was a gorgeous little plant, stinking, covered in resin and got me battered! I was well impressed hence more this year! I'm really hopeful the next 2 OG seeds will come good and I will have some in the jars this year. Have you tried the Auto OG mate?

@Andromedian  

On ‎22‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 7:10 PM, Andromedian said:

My old cat used to spray up my guitar amp, while I was playing it.

Jesus, your that bad hey?!

I don't mind a cat, maybe even 2 but we've got 5 now and it's too many man. My other half wanted 1, we went to the rescue centre and came back with 2 young sisters (couldn't sperate them like) then they started to get fat and soon it was 13 of the feckers!!  Ok so we don't have a mouse problem any more but I keep finding half eaten lizards and baby birds which I don't like and once there was a kingfisher on the doorstep and that sir is going too far :nono:   

Do you have any water at your plots dude or are they moist enough? I have to water my big girls every 5 days or so here, carried it all to the plot the first year, id never do that again! Hope you've got some good weather over there and your getting some of Europe's heatwave, 34c here today, 36 tomorrow :sweaty:

@jadenugs  Thanks mate, the pots with slots are definitely proving to be better than the normal method, just need twice as many pots but it'll be worth it if they produce a reasonable amount of buddage! If I can get an ounce a plant i'll be a happy boy, that'd double my yields from last years auto's and be enough for a few blunts :smokin:  All the best with your grows!

@Dinafem-Mark  Cheers man, it's a very kind offer but as the next photo's will show the other 2 OG's have sprouted and are doing pretty well so i'm gonna put my faith in them and hopefully they will do me proud! The other poor OG has barely grown another set of leaves so I don't know if she'll even produce me a gram! I can put her somewhere to see although I'm gonna have to transplant her as hopefully I'm gonna need the pot with slots for some of your Auto Cookies :naughty:    

I've called a truce with the cats but I noticed someone had dug a little hole next to one of the Critical Jacks so they're treading a fine line, im watching them :frown:

• Like 2

Right on with an update as another week has passed since I planted out the Critical Jacks and there are new babies in the house! So a quick picture of the 3 new arrivals which came up much quicker than the last batch (all were up in 4 days) which I think is due to the warmer weather. One OG came up with its shell stuck on again for 24 hours but I left this one and it fired the shell of the next morning. It did end up a bit lanky though and ended up bending over in the wind so iv constructed this organic scaffold to support it while it strengthens up....

large.IMG_6004.JPG

So that's the new arrivals but now it's time to go back in time to last Wednesday the 22nd when I decided it was the right time to get the Critical Jacks in the ground. Night time temperatures were forecast to be above 10c for the next week with high 20's and wall to wall sunshine in the day so it was time for them to get out there!

As you can see from the pics the Critical Jack in the smaller pot was some way behind the one in the pot in a pot so to give it the best chance of catching up I gave it the better potting hole, which is a bit bigger and gets the sun a bit earlier. So first of all the small Critical Jack plant out pics...

large.IMG_5949.jpglarge.IMG_5954.jpg

Pretty disappointed with root growth generally this year and this one is no exception. I really need to get a good root stim for next year, I brought something in an agricultural shop here but the instructions were in Italian and when I got home and translated it there was safety warnings about not getting it in your eyes and keeping away from children so I thought fuck that! I've had serious root envy from looking at your guys diaries in the outdoor threads :sadwalk:     Anyway nowt I can do now and even though the roots are no more impressive, the other plant pot in a pot stylee is much happier, regard....

large.IMG_5952.jpglarge.IMG_5956.jpg

And here are the 2 plants together...

large.IMG_5958.jpg

So that was last week, fast forward to yesterday and here they are after a week of intense sun and warm nights....

large.IMG_6002.JPG

So they have both come on but the growth on the pot with slots has been really impressive. The other auto's that iv put out this year are also growing well but have not bushed out as nicely as this beauty :wub:    I still think im a little bit behind where I could have been if I had used an indoor lighting set up to get them started (also on the list for next year!) but im happy that she's in good condition to hopefully start stretching out and flowering well, she just has a few pistils starting to show. A couple more pics of her...

large.IMG_5997.JPGlarge.IMG_5998.JPG

And a couple of her sister who is starting to look better but is still a long way behind. If the new Critical Jack seedling I have up ends up growing faster and catches her up then I may even decide to pull her and put the new one in her place. I really need good performers in this plot and I think the week of hot weather she had in the smaller pot before plant out may have stunted the old Critical so we will see how she comes on now she's in the ground. Here she is.... 

large.IMG_5995.JPGlarge.IMG_5996.JPG

Last night they got a treat for the leaves with a foliar of about .5ml per litre fishmix and 2ml per litre of seaweed solution so they are praying to the sun today! They had quite a good soak when I planted them so they haven't had another drink yet but il probably give them a few litres each before the weekend as the weather is gonna be scorchio for the next 5 days. Thanks everyone for looking in, I hope the weathers being kind back in blighty!

• Like 7

@bigbadbudboi Nice to see the ladies are now in the ground and a truce has been called with the cat's  :yep:

On 30/05/2019 at 0:58 PM, bigbadbudboi said:

I hope the weathers being kind back in blighty!

The weather in the UK has not been to bad mate but nothing like last year  :)

Until next week mate :yep:

Mark..

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Update time and after a week or so of crazy temperature swings and strong winds it looks like I may have well and truly fucked it again! :crybaby:

The new recruits have not been happy with daytime temps changing from 34-36c to 18c overnight and night temps going from 15c down to 5c and a strong northerly wind blowing all week. The best Critical Jack looks like she may not too happy with my soil mix, with the growth slowing and a dark green shade to the leaves. I'm figuring too much nitrogen so it's back to the drawing board for me :g:

Iv planted the new recruits into 20 litre buckets with a lighter soil mix to try and get the best out of them but I think they are a long way behind where they should be. Hopefully they will pick up enough for me to match last seasons haul and I will get a few blunts of each variety :smokin:   

Here's the photographic evidence of my inability with auto's....

New recruits, Critical Jack on the right and the 2 OG's next to it...

large.IMG_6062.JPG

And some of the old Critical Jack, starting to kick up a stink, such a shame I wont have a big jar of this to smoke :sadwalk:

large.IMG_6047.JPGlarge.IMG_6048.JPGlarge.IMG_6049.JPGlarge.IMG_6063.JPG

Iv pulled the other little Critical Jack as it wasn't getting any bigger and I really needed the potting hole. I'm gutted to have messed it up again but iv learned a lot again this year and can only suck it up and try again next time. I'm still looking forward to smoking both strains and will be putting all my efforts into getting the most I can from the remaining plants. They may have a super growth spurt by next week you never know! Until then all the best with your grows....

• Like 4

You are getting a big drop in max/min temps mate which does look to be affecting growth severely, also the potting up with Autos will also not be helping my friend  :)

Apart from the temp drops and potting ups. Have you any idea what's slowing growth and production down? 

Mark..

Edited by Dinafem-Mark
  • Like 1

@Dinafem-Mark I'm pretty sure that the time in pots with temperatures all over the place is what has slowed their veg and then the cold nights last week slowed them some more! I went round to a friends the other day and he's had much more success starting in bigger pots so after a fair bit of deliberation I thought don't give up, get the seed box out and start some more off! This coincided with a very happy delivery of some more new flavours to try out on Friday, thanks again for another chance!! :guitar:

So hopefully your not regretting sending me more magic beans to try out after my almost total failure so far, but iv dusted myself down and put my previous problems behind me and now we have 3 more new recruits that have broken ground in the last couple of days and this time there will be no small pots or potting on! 

The latest round of new recruits, more auto Critical Jack joined by 2 new flavours iv been gagging to try, auto Gorilla and auto Cookies :yahoo:

This is them popping up after 3 days with the Cookies a little behind but I expect she will be fully up by this afternoon....

Critical Jack...

large.IMG_6072.JPGlarge.IMG_6077.JPG

Baby Gorilla...

large.IMG_6081.JPGlarge.IMG_6083.JPGlarge.IMG_6086.JPG

Cookies bump trying to break through....

large.IMG_6093.JPG

These are all in 20 litre tubs with some gravel then humanure and then the same mix as iv used before just with a higher percentage of coco and then just coco and earth worm castings directly around the seedling. Hopefully they will motor on this time and not have any transplant shock and I will end up with a decent amount of bud, if not I might just cry and cry until I'm sick! This is my last chance with auto's this year so I'm determined not to fuck it up again and to get my tactics right ready for next year.

So that's the new recruits and here are some pics of the old new recruits! As you can see the Critical Jack is steaming ahead of the OG's and all have just started to show a few pistils so not sure if they will get much bigger now but we will see over the next couple of weeks. Hopefully they will stretch a bit more and I will get a bit of smoke of them, here they are...

Critical Jack...

large.IMG_6095.JPG

The 2 OG's...

large.IMG_6096.JPGlarge.IMG_6097.JPG

Group shot....

large.IMG_6098.JPG

Last but not least is the original Critical Jack, she's not growing up much but definitely filling out a bit and putting on some frost, should be a chunky nugget by the time she's finished! Smells strong and sweet.....

large.IMG_6100.JPGlarge.IMG_6104.JPGlarge.IMG_6103.JPGlarge.IMG_6102.JPG

So all is not lost and my hopes are high for the second half of the season, the weather is gonna be great over the next week so hopefully there will be some good progress to report next time. Until then may the sun shine on your plots, all the best :hippy:

• Like 3

On 19/06/2019 at 0:55 PM, bigbadbudboi said:

So hopefully your not regretting sending me more magic beans to try out after my almost total failure so far, but iv dusted myself down and put my previous problems behind me and now we have 3 more new recruits that have broken ground in the last couple of days and this time there will be no small pots or potting on! 

It's one of the problems with outdoor growing my friend, That's half the fun we never know what mother nature has in store  :)

Nice to see you've got the new arrivals started and put joining the Auto Critical Jack  ;)

Be interesting to see how our Cookies Auto and Gorilla Auto fair in the great outdoors and out just in time to get the most out of this summer  :yep:

Thanks for such a detailed write up mate ;)

Mark..

• Like 1