Help me past an age old Quantum Board fear.

GreenVision

Hi all. I've been absent from the site for some time, and I'm glad to be back, but even happier to see a few growers have made the switch to Quantum Boards. 

A few of you may remember I have been banging on about giving them a go for many many moons, but the same one single concern has always steered me away from them... Bud density.

I have had several chances to get them in from overseas over the last 2 years give or take, money wasn't ever the issue and I trust the tech 100%, I have always stood by they're ability to grow good Cannabis. But every time I get to that point of finally hanging up my HID I bottle it because I have convinced myself they wont give me the same density and to some extent maturity as my HID do.

There is a reason I always come back to this. A good friend tried some early COB tech some years back now, using his regular clones he grew out the same plants the same way he always does just with these new lights. Although he got an admirable yield the buds were loose and airy and almost under matured compared to his normal finished buds. Now I have somewhat of a "Thing" about bud density, I always aim for tight buds in strain selection and tend to pick strains that can give me that via genetics as well as using good lighting and feed, so I think these two factors have embedded some kind of fear into me about using QB's. I know to some that may sound ignorant as so many folks are using them now that this alone should be enough to talk me round. I have bugged to death a few folks here at UK420 that grow with them and even last year when I was an inch away from making the jump I still bottled it. 

Now fast forward to my current position, I'm indoors instead of outdoors in a cool garage, have now got a P.A.Y.G meter instead of monthly bills, and my grow area is slightly smaller. Add in it looks like I can now get QB's in the UK and I may finally have to make the switch. I'm not kidding my current lighting setup EATS electric. 

I just wondered if any growers using Quantum Boards atm could help me get past this and if anyone had some pics of buds grown under QB?

Huge thanks in advance for any help. 

Cheers.

GV.

• Like 5

@Greenvision

nice to see you back,i had the same dilema as you and my friend bought the Samsung ones,grew Critical Kush which we had around for ages and impressive,I would say better-shorter internodes,more crystals and even purple leaves in the end.

I remember even here 5 years ago HPS was a winner but its not anymore

The only disadvantage i could see in your case as @ratdog poited out you are in the garage so you might need to heat up in winter

Edited by joba
spelling
  • Like 2

@ratdog @joba

Sorry guys may have made that a little hard to understand after writing a small novel there lol

I WAS in a garage, where HPS was a bonus as even in the summer nights could get cold as it was a well insulated pitch roofed garage. 

Now I have the same 1000w de x 2 in a small bedroom on an inside wall in a 1.5 by 3 meter tent. So my logic was that LED's might make even more sense as summer is on the horizon.

• Like 7

Been using leds for a few years. No issues with bud density. And whatever, the trichlome production much better. Anyway check out the diy led forum. Plenty of info and doubters who are now converts. Just do it man lol 

• Like 3

Even if the leccy savings are eaten by the need for heating, this is more than compensated for in increased quality and yield.

It could even be enough to do one grow less per year, that in itself would be a massive saving...:g:

• Like 5

Makes me laugh that this is in ‘experimental ‘ section. Nothing experimental about leds these days. Main stream. Check out the growmaus red pucks too. Nice to add a bit of extra red in the qb/ Samsung spectrum. 

• Like 3

Just now, GreenVision said:

@ratdog @joba

Sorry guys may have made that a little hard to understand after writing a small novel there lol

I WAS in a garage, where HPS was a bonus as even in the summer nights could get cold as it was a well insulated pitch roofed garage. 

Now I have the same 1000w de x 2 in a small bedroom on an inside wall in a 1.5 by 3 meter tent. So my logic was that LED's might make even more sense as summer is on the horizon.

in that case go for it

i was only surprised how heavy those pannels are so just remember that

• Like 1

from what i have seen on here m8 with peoples diarys if i had the cash available for them or samsung strips my hps setup would be going in the bin

im a convert since i got a hlg65 from diyleduk for veg and was well impressed what 65w can do :)

• Like 4

Just now, stu914 said:

Even if the leccy savings are eaten by the need for heating, this is more than compensated for in increased quality and yield.

It could even be enough to do one grow less per year, that in itself would be a massive saving...:g:

Matey i'm indoors with a good central heating system, the missus wont have a cold house, the tent getting cold is the last of my worries lol. 

As I say its in a room on an indoor wall, haven't seen the room area outside the tent drop below 17c even at night, so should be golden.

• Like 3

Not again lol 285 watts will harvest in the next 10 days. Pull the trigger there is nothing to fear. 19 sog plants on the bottom shelf.

large.5cae940993f8e_purps12.jpglarge.5ca09cc6039c7_gorillatopsday59MARK.jpg

• Like 14

@ratdog he wont pay any extra for heating 600watts is 600watts both produce the same amount of heat. Its the usable light output that makes the difference so pony up 450 watts of led instead of 600 hid. saving money already thats being realistic. Saving are back in your pocket very quick.  And the buds are nothing other than solid.

Toke...

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, joba said:

in that case go for it

i was only surprised how heavy those pannels are so just remember that

The led panels lol no weight at all, the drivers are heavy but you stuff them on the walls.

Well no more replies from me im gonna be a good boy..

Edited by tokenroll
  • Like 4

@tokenroll  toke I am so sorry bud LAMO lol.....  you have literally read the LED encyclopedia to me at least twice. I've been back A DAY and already I'm banging on about it again :lookaround:

I so want these but just that density thing keeps kicking me in the backside. Those plants look well though. So your QB's still treating you well, buds dense etc all good?

• Like 2

@GreenVision quantum boards are going fine m8 thats close on 3 years and no bulbs to buy. Im running the samsung strips in my cab now as im running two levels, top levels at 340watts and bottom shelf 285 watts. I can asure you there is no problem with density or quality, think cmh on steroids.  Lets just say my little cab produces the goods with good genetics, had some shite in there for awhile wont happen again thats for sure. Still running the dark plasma it's the one strain that ticks all the right boxes for me.

Give diyled a shake, im sure he can help you out.

Toke...

Edited by tokenroll
  • Like 7