Rhizo drip and drain auto feed advice and pot size

Personaluser

Hi bud the feed comes on for 4 mins now as I ain't been getting much run off. 

4mins now 1 hour after lights on. 

I'm thinking of now changing it tonight 2 mins hour after lights on and again 4-5hrs later what do you think? 

I'm getting about 8 to 10ltrs run off at the moment is that to much ya think cheers

22 hours ago, floppy said:

when you feed for the 3 mins is it at lights on?  no other feeds?

do you get much run off?

Do you have a drip and drain system also? 

2 hours ago, Personaluser said:

Do you have a drip and drain system also? 

I have just bought a rhizo drain only system, I'll be using "topspin dripper" system to feed, as you get perfect feeding balance.

I would give them there first feed about 30 mins after lights on, then give them a couple shorter feeds whilst lights are on..

I plan on using only 3 litre plastic root pots, as I read you can grow monsters in smaller pots, so a single pot on each stand, but more feeds during lights on, as they would need more than a single feed per day, due to the smaller pot size.

I plan on trimming the edges of my stands, to try fitting two rows of for, side by side into in a budbox AW100 150/100/200, with a gavita 1000 & W150 DE reflector put straight to the roof of the tent.

Edited by floppy
  • Like 1

@floppy Ye I read smaller pot size is better to but I don't dare try it lol. I read 6.5ltr pots is good and feed like 5 times a day later flower to get a more hydro experience. 

Will you be doing a diary? 

Iiv done 2mins then 2 mins 5 hrs later total 4ltrs. Will spread the mins out more if they like it. 

Edited by Personaluser

• 2 months later...

Hey, looking into this exact one myself! Only thing im unsure about is the spacing between pots... Do they need to be set up as close together as yours? just I would ideally like to have more of a gap through the middle and fill my room nicer.. thoughts?

Nice one!

and also, what pot size are you going with? i've been using 11.4ltr fabric pots (hand watering 2l every other day) feel roots need more space as i like bigger girls.. but with using this system, what would you recommend? ta

Does the brain need to be inside the tent space where you're growing? I am just looking at one of these as I have started to scrog and finding it hard to get to the back row in my tent.

you can space the trays apart, you cut the pipe to your size/distance you require.

the brain doesn't need to be in the tent.

• 2 years later...
On 05/04/2019 at 10:32 AM, Personaluser said:

Hi all iv got a rhizo 8 pot drip and drain used it on 1 grow so far now on my next with it. Growing in coco Last grow I just fed them once every other day in veg and once a day in flower using rhizo 16L smart pots. 

So I'm wondering on this grow will I benifit feeding them 3 or 4x a day? I have ready about doing this rather then 3 min feed in the morning spread it out to 3 x 1min so I get 20% run off a day not every feed? 

And about pot size isit best to go smaller pots with more feeds? Some same bigger pots some say smaller pot for hydro experince. Thoughts? 

Any advice on this would be great thanks. 

Hi, I know I’m reviving an old thread but I just need some advice. I’ve tried contacting GroWell but they couldn’t give me a clear answer either. How many minutes do you have to run the timer for do adequately feed your plants and get a 20% runoff? When I asked GroWell they said something about it depends on how I set the droppers up and that I’ll have to have a look in the bucket at how much run off there is. Thanks in advance 

8 minutes ago, darksecrets999 said:

How many minutes do you have to run the timer for do adequately feed your plants and get a 20% runoff? When I asked GroWell they said something about it depends on how I set the droppers up and that I’ll have to have a look in the bucket at how much run off there is. Thanks in advance 

This is pretty simple stuff mate, and the advice Growell gave you isn't exactly terrible... they can't tell you how long to run the pump because so much stuff contributes to it, like size of delivery system, pot size, medium etc

Run the pump manually and time how long it takes for the pots to start running off. not enough run off? Add more minutes/feeds, too much run off? add less minutes/feeds.

• Like 2

On 14/04/2019 at 11:18 PM, Personaluser said:

So atm I'm watering for 3 mins lights on should I spear this out in coco so 3x1min feeds a day rather then in 1 go? 

bro I would say u need run-off every time you feed, not as a whole from your say 3 feeds

which is the question you ask on your 1st post

so water more frequently, if the conditions allow - (I up mine to  twice-a-day in flower)

but get the run-off. its a twat, cos it feels like its wasted solution, in the beginning, I didn't want to get run-off as I thought it was a waste

but if you dont get run-off, you'll have salt build-up in your medium, which can cause issues

after at first not wanting to, now I get prolly 50% run-off, as im in fabric pots and I just fill it up and keep pouring it in until I see the water soak drop all the way to the bottom of the fabric pot, then it flows out the bottom.

mystic

edit- wrote all that shit and then saw it was a post fr 2 year ago...

Edited by mysticriver
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, GSZZ said:

This is pretty simple stuff mate, and the advice Growell gave you isn't exactly terrible... they can't tell you how long to run the pump because so much stuff contributes to it, like size of delivery system, pot size, medium etc

Run the pump manually and time how long it takes for the pots to start running off. not enough run off? Add more minutes/feeds, too much run off? add less minutes/feeds.

Thanks for the advice. And all those variables are fixed btw. They’re all 16L pots that come with the package and it’s a fixed size for the nutrient tank too

1 hour ago, darksecrets999 said:

Thanks for the advice. And all those variables are fixed btw. They’re all 16L pots that come with the package and it’s a fixed size for the nutrient tank too

coco?, soil? hydroton? etc, they arll drain at different rates

Sometimes you have to put abit of work into these things to get them set up properly. even different soil brands drain differently.

• Like 4