Jacks magic, Any good

Kipper420

I've been shopping for compost today.

Long and short I bought a couple of bags of the above.
greenhouse growing.

What's the concensus?

Anyone regularly use it?

Is it any good.

Good points?

Bad points?

Thanks

• Like 1

love a bit of jacks magic ,luckily its come down in price at the range ..50 ltr 3.99 now ..well worth it ,very nice sifted composts enriched with seaweed i believe ..either way tis not too bad at all and certainly plants will enjoy it .

• Like 5

used it a few times, good stuff.  I did a side by side with potatoes in flex tubes one jacks magic one B&Q multi.  The jacks was the clear winner.  Having said that obviously different batches / different regions etc will vary.  

• Like 4

I've used it for a few years now and never been disappointed. 

Apart from when I mixed in some homemade compost and burnt my plants. Must have pissed in the compost bin too much.

100 % Jack's ever since.

• Like 6

I have used it, but not for weed, my tomatoes especially had problems with getting roots through compacted soil and drainage.  Maybe its me, but I wouldn't use it neat for this reason, I had to put some sand in for drainage.

Edited by elmer budd
  • Like 4

Great. super. Smashing.

After a bit of reading here. I note some have had issues with it. Compacting or being plenty hot enough for younger plants.

So now I'm thinking doing a 50/50 mix with compost for younger plants and tailing off the compost in the mix as I pot up.

Do you guys use it neat from the get go?

I agree with those that said it can get a bit compacted and suffer with drainage.

if I was to use it again I’d mix in a bit of coco to help drainage and it should be great stuff

• Like 6

Used some in a seedling mix last year.  Pasteurised some jacks and worm casts, then hydrated coir and perlite with weak high N nutrient solution and hydrogen peroxide.  Mixed together, seedlings did ok..

large_w1.jpg

Two weeks

large_SMA1.jpg

Edited by Amarillo slim
  • Like 8

And the answers...

I microwaved the hell out of it.  

Chempack no 2.

To help prevent damping off.  

Really its better to just use coir/perlite and chemical feeds or Jiffys etc.  This year I also plan to do a side by side with mycorrhizal fungi added.  

• Like 2

I'd Be interested to see how that goes.

This year I intend that use seaweed feed to help the roots in the plants early life and veg as well as compost tea. (Worm cast)

Then when teens I will try nettle tea.

Some Comfrey tea and more seaweed (maxicrop) maybe a bit of B&Q tomato food in flower.

ill be potting up in a Jacks magic/JOHN innes multi purpose mix. Jacks dominant.

Rain water all season.

perlite is for r water retention right?

I had a job to find a plain compost bale this year. There was plenty of ammanded compost mix. Water retention additive 

6weeks to 3-4months feed additives . Added peat .  Everything but vanilla........

I ended up with the innes multi. Which I think I'll sieve. After using it last season I found it got compacted and struggled to hold water at times when it was dryer.

• Like 1

yeah as stu says. I added perlite as these are on capillary matting.  the mix is light and fluffy and when I fill the pots I do it loosely so their is plenty of oxygen in the pot despite its constant dampness.  Maxicrop seaweeds are great. 

Edited by Amarillo slim
  • Like 1