Desensitised by adverts

Megumin

on this subject of charity advertising ..specifically those ..please give 3 quid a month ,your money can change lives etc ...all those ads are about 3 to 4 years old now ..and how much has ewan mcgregor made from the voice overs ..that fucker has a personal fortune of over 20 million ..let him put his hand in his pocket first .let all those with millions step up first ..

• Like 5

Its not just a donation though, they want ya life story,  phone and email addys, home address, bank account numbers, its a minefeild.

dj.....

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, *DJ* said:

Its not just a donation though, they want ya life story,  phone and email addys, home address, bank account numbers, its a minefeild.

dj.....

And they will most probably sell your info to some other cunt

• Like 3

Even the cold callers for charities don’t want cash anymore. They want bank details for direct debit every month. 

I said no way. But do you have your bank details so I can donate as and when I can afford.  No sorry it doesn’t work like that anymore. Well goodbye then

charity should`nt need a pin number ...

e2a missed an nt off should

Edited by vince noir rock n roll star

32 minutes ago, Rampa Green said:

Even the cold callers for charities don’t want cash anymore. They want bank details for direct debit every month. 

I said no way. But do you have your bank details so I can donate as and when I can afford.  No sorry it doesn’t work like that anymore. Well goodbye then

Th cold callers don't actually work directly for any charity.   They are seperate non-charitable status companies, that send out teams with a script, t-shirts n jackets according to which charity they are representing that day.  They employ young people mostly paid commissions for hitting over there signup targets.  

I wouldn't trust handing over my bank details to any of them.  

7 hours ago, twigs said:

thats life dude!

you choose to believe who you believe about anything and everything all the time, thats why your position is such.

very little in life is real, its all been put here for you to look at and listen to, you dont see what they dont want you to see, thats why people 'escape'

No it isn't. There is evidence that makes some things irrefutable. Our entire scientific history is based on proving theories with evidence. 

If you ignore evidence that makes you ignorant. I'm all for questioning peoples motivations when they are presenting spurious claims as fact but at some point you have to call a spade a spade.

Beliefs are just personal opinions. Facts are facts. You probably used to believe in Santa, you grew up and were told eventually that he wasn't real, that your family bought your presents for you, the evidence checked out so you changed your belief.  Just because we're all grown up now and know it all does not mean that our perception of reality should just be some static thing revolving around our current beliefs. 

I am not one for mindlessly lapping up whatever shit the government and our media try to inject into my brain but come on it's getting ridiculous.

The age of social media has definitely thrown a spanner in the works and its sometimes hard to find out what is actually real. Especially on an internet that is basically just ads. I still can't figure out whether the flat earth movement is tongue in cheek or whether this army of online usernames actually believes that shit. I've got friends that are moon landing deniers, because they read some tripe online and now think it was impossible at that time. The science was amazing, ahead of its time, NASA invented the CAT scan to scan for impurities in space components, its now used to scan for cancers that were previously undetectable. But you still get random people shitting on the achievement because they saw what they thought was the flag fluttering in the wind and chose to believe charlatans spewing their 'alternative' facts.

This shit really winds me up, you get people who are completely deaf to evidence because of their own political/philosophical/social outlook. How are we going to progress as a species if we only ever believe what aligns with our current position. It's that kind of thinking that keeps our herb illegal!  

29 minutes ago, coldroom said:

The age of social media has definitely thrown a spanner in the works and its sometimes hard to find out what is actually real.

Propaganda has been with us forever.

4 minutes ago, ratdog said:

Propaganda has been with us forever.

I agree but not to the extent where people are consuming it as part of their daily routine, and commenting on it, actively participating in the spread of it in exchange for a pseudo currency in the form of 'reactions', views and likes etc that act as a gratification mechanism to make them feel like they're winning in a global popularity contest. It's a twisted feedback loop of self satisfaction that provides people with the addictive feeling of being a bit more important and/or hilarious than the rest of the plebs.  

Its propaganda that needs to be called out and debunked, not actual facts. 

31 minutes ago, coldroom said:

but not to the extent where people are consuming it as part of their daily routine, and commenting on it, actively participating in the spread of it in exchange for a pseudo currency in the form of 'reactions', views and likes etc

Trust me, people have been spreading rumours since time began, at least now we have the net to look things up if we want, we can educate ourselves if we so wish, you just need to want to know the truth as best as you can and read between the lines.

There used to be a thing called the tabloids, they kept the pre facebook crowd happy for a while, and telly, that worked even better,  now what if someone reads the Sun, watches the BBC and goes on facebook for "news" ? :fear:

how can we know the truth if we don't see or experience it ourselves, can we believe anything we read from the internet, its interesting and all believable no doubt but the system has got so far into peoples minds I find it troublesome going into the future, and all want more.